• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FYI: If you've had Covid--liver effects

GardenLady

Preview of bottom line: If you've had Covid recently, blood work might be in order.

Because the Mister and I are vaxxed and boosted, our recent (April) cases of Covid weren't severe. Bad, unpleasant, but never a concern about having to go to a hospital.

Something I was not aware of: Covid can affect your liver. Routine blood work about 4 weeks after I had Covid showed elevated liver enzymes (ALT and AST). I've never had an elevated AST before, and it was more that twice the upper limit of normal. I've had very mildly elevated ALT in recent years (we're talking 2 to 7 points over the normal range) which appeared circa 2018 when I started taking a statin; not uncommon. My ALT after Covid went to more than 3 times the upper limit of normal for a woman. Bilirubin and albumin remain normal.

After freaking out, I turned to Google and found articles on the NIH website about Covid effects on the liver. My doctor said the elevated enzymes are very likely due to Covid and usually drop in a couple of months, but not always--actual liver injury can happen. For now, no Tylenol, no alcohol, no tizanidine (muscle relaxer), very limited diet coke and other artificial sweeteners. Then, repeat bloodwork and a liver scan scheduled for mid-July.

So, if you have had Covid and have not had routine blood work (metabolic panel and liver function), perhaps you might want to consult your care provider about whether s/he thinks it's a good idea.

GardenLady

Update: I saw a gastroenterologist, and he has seen liver effects from Covid--most temporary, some permanent. He ordered a liver scan and some blood work. The scan was normal. AST and ALT values have fallen to about half what they were in early June, but are still well above the normal range. The ferritin test (not done in June) is WAY above normal.

I'm still avoiding Tylenol and alcohol and have cut way down on diet coke (artificial sweeteners tax the liver) and have only had maybe 3 Advil and 3 muscle relaxers (for night cramps). We'll probably repeat the tests in 3 more months.