• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Funny or strange traditions where you live

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Vanakkam

~ this thread is not about religion, religions debate, belief or unbelief, mocking or proselytising or whatever. It's about sharing and discovering funny/unusual stuff about your/someone else's local culture ~

Is there any funny, strange or uncommon tradition from your country/culture/village ?
I know there are a ton in France, and even people that are not religious or whatever like to share and keep village and ils cultural traditions.

I think those traditions are really fascinating and interesting to discover or share !

I'll start:

There is a village in the center of France where, a Long Time ago, a bishop was rumored to have great powers. He was always followed by a guy from the village who was very simple minded.
When the bishop died, the simple minded guy wouldn't leave the coffin and simply laid on top of the sarcophagus... So a hole was drilled so he could put his head inside and keep talking to his friend the bishop... With Time, legend say that he became a wise man by doing so.

The sarcophagus still exists today and is still in the church. Tradition say that if you stick your head in it, you will leave your "crazy" there. But if you stick your head in it and accidentally touch the borders, you will get the craziness of all the people that stuck their head before you ! :D

St-Menoux-debredinoire.jpg

It is known locally as the "debredinoire"

Okay, your turn now ! :D

Nimos

Here is one for you about the vikings and personal hygiene.

The Arabic observer Ibn Fadlan noted:

§ 84. Every day they must wash their faces and heads and this they do in the dirtiest and filthiest fashion possible: to wit, every morning a girl servant brings a great basin of water; she offers this to her master and he washes his hands and face and his hair -- he washes it and combs it out with a comb in the water; then he blows his nose and spits into the basin. When he has finished, the servant carries the basin to the next person, who does likewise. She carries the basin thus to all the household in turn, and each blows his nose, spits, and washes his face and hair in it.

Guess the last person might prefer to take a bath instead? :D

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Not my local village per se, but the funeral rites of my Hindu families are interesting and intricate.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Faire chabrot. I first saw it happening at my first official lunch here in SW france. Soup is served and eaten leaving just a little in the bowl. A half glass of red wine is added to the dregs of the soup, mixed then the bowl is picked up, brought to the lips and drunk.

ob_d1620d_ob-0d65f6ee70e5fb83b93beb2d726b2438-im.jpg

At our next official function i joined in and earned a lot of local respect.

Nyingjé Tso

Faire chabrot. I first saw it happening at my first official lunch here in SW france. Soup is served and eaten leaving just a little in the bowl. A half glass of red wine is added to the dregs of the soup, mixed then the bowl is picked up, brought to the lips and drunk.

View attachment 32020

At our next official function i joined in and earned a lot of local respect.

Ahah YES ! I always do chabrot whenever there is soup and wine on the table :D
It's very south of France tradition: I did chabrot at my in laws place (they are from Tours) and they looked at me as if I was an alien

Not my local village per se, but the funeral rites of my Hindu families are interesting and intricate.

You can share if you want, no worries !

Aum Namah Shivaya

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
In the southern part of Sicily you can find very tiny villages, often lying over hills and narrow ravines where in the Middle Ages and in Modern Times people were obsessed with spending public money on Churches. By this way, the number of Churches were disproportionate with respect to the number of inhabitants...that is, for example 20 Churches in a village of 500 souls.

I grew up in a town called the town of the 50 churches...and really, can't remember all of the Church names.
Panorama_Ragusa_Ibla.JPG.jpg

ChristineM

Premium Member
We also have the Judgement of Pétassou.

Every march local schoolchildren will parade around the villages dressed as wood nymph's, singing and dancing while leading an effigy of an evil medieval wizard named Pétassou who went around striking livestock with maladies and creating explosions in inappropriate places. Now, Pétassou takes the blame for all ills from bad harvests to explosive farting. After the parade a children's court is held and Pétassou is always found guilty. Whereupon he is burned at the stake to the sounds of local folk songs and dancing.
20190329_151103.jpg
Effigy of Pétassou, tried, judged and condemned to burn

This ritual is supposed to clear the villages of evil spirits for the next year

ChristineM

Premium Member

§ 84. Every day they must wash their faces and heads and this they do in the dirtiest and filthiest fashion possible: to wit, every morning a girl servant brings a great basin of water; she offers this to her master and he washes his hands and face and his hair -- he washes it and combs it out with a comb in the water; then he blows his nose and spits into the basin. When he has finished, the servant carries the basin to the next person, who does likewise. She carries the basin thus to all the household in turn, and each blows his nose, spits, and washes his face and hair in it.

This is enacted in the film The 13th Warrior.
One of my favourite films despite it getting lousy reviews

ChristineM

Premium Member
How could i forget, i just look out of the window and its there

Most towns and villages have their fetes, once a year parties where everyone is invited. Our village throws the boat out with a 4 day extravaganza starting today and ending on monday.

20190729_103456a.jpg

David1967

Premium Member

David1967

Premium Member
Vanakkam

~ this thread is not about religion, religions debate, belief or unbelief, mocking or proselytising or whatever. It's about sharing and discovering funny/unusual stuff about your/someone else's local culture ~

Is there any funny, strange or uncommon tradition from your country/culture/village ?
I know there are a ton in France, and even people that are not religious or whatever like to share and keep village and ils cultural traditions.

I think those traditions are really fascinating and interesting to discover or share !

I'll start:

There is a village in the center of France where, a Long Time ago, a bishop was rumored to have great powers. He was always followed by a guy from the village who was very simple minded.
When the bishop died, the simple minded guy wouldn't leave the coffin and simply laid on top of the sarcophagus... So a hole was drilled so he could put his head inside and keep talking to his friend the bishop... With Time, legend say that he became a wise man by doing so.

The sarcophagus still exists today and is still in the church. Tradition say that if you stick your head in it, you will leave your "crazy" there. But if you stick your head in it and accidentally touch the borders, you will get the craziness of all the people that stuck their head before you ! :D

St-Menoux-debredinoire.jpg

It is known locally as the "debredinoire"

Can't help but think how funny it would be if someone hid in there and grabbed the person that stuck his head in.

Nyingjé Tso

Can't help but think how funny it would be if someone hid in there and grabbed the person that stuck his head in.

... This would be funny xD you would certainly be booted out of the village but it would be totally worth it !

Okay, another one from south of France ( but more seen on south east than south west)

Ciccadas (cigales) are said to bring good luck when they enter the housse... So they should never be killed if this happens.

cigale-dans-la-main-cfabd.jpg

People in the south hang ceramic or clay ciccadas statues on the walls of a house as a good luck charm for the family

1200.jpg

It's also a classic souvenir that tourists can buy in the south east !

banderole%20cigales1.gif

Some legend say that when an angel descended here, he found the fields abandoned, and went to ask the Priest why nobody was working in the fields. Priest answered that it was way too hot to work... So everyone was asleep.
The Angel came back to god for a report... So god created ciccadas: they would sing on hot days, preventing everyone from sleeping on the job ! :D

But there are traces of more ancien origins: even before the middle âge, it was a symbol of resurrection because it died every winter to be Reborn every summer.

In SE France it's common to see these words on ciccadas statues : "Lou soulèu me fai Canta"
It's the local language (occitan provençal) for "the Sun makes me sing"

cigale-branche-louis-sicard-1895.jpg

Last edited:

ChristineM

Premium Member
... This would be funny xD you would certainly be booted out of the village but it would be totally worth it !

Okay, another one from south of France ( but more seen on south east than south west)

Ciccadas (cigales) are said to bring good luck when they enter the housse... So they should never be killed if this happens.

cigale-dans-la-main-cfabd.jpg

People in the south hang ceramic or clay ciccadas statues on the walls of a house as a good luck charm for the family

1200.jpg

It's also a classic souvenir that tourists can buy in the south east !

banderole%20cigales1.gif

Some legend say that when an angel descended here, he found the fields abandoned, and went to ask the Priest why nobody was working in the fields. Priest answered that it was way too hot to work... So everyone was asleep.
The Angel came back to god for a report... So god created ciccadas: they would sing on hot days, preventing everyone from sleeping on the job ! :D

But there are traces of more ancien origins: even before the middle âge, it was a symbol of resurrection because it died every winter to be Reborn every summer.

In SE France it's common to see these words on ciccadas statues : "Lou soulèu me fai Canta"
It's the local language (occitan provençal) for "the Sun makes me sing"

cigale-branche-louis-sicard-1895.jpg

Anything about the mantis? I rescued one from my (unlit) wood burner yesterday.

Nyingjé Tso

Anything about the mantis? I rescued one from my (unlit) wood burner yesterday.

Ahah yes ! Meeting one is considered auspicious... Also they are known in rural folk tales for showing the way home to lost children and travelers.

I've found one the other day too ! They are adorable :D

You'd be surprised how many french superstitions are around animals... Pretty much all of them xDD

For exemple, for a happy couple, the man should keep antlers at Home and the woman a wolf's paw.

In Normandy it is said that the "Wolf Herder" can come and knock at your door at night. You recognize him because he wears red gloves and command hungry wolves. If you hear him knocking, it is said that you should absolutely say nothing, just open the door and offer him dinner and a bed for the night. On the morning, he should be given bread and money before leaving. Doing so keeps you safe from wolves.

A funny one, from Paris: you can meet a catholic monk at night, all clad in gray, shouting insults and vulgar stuff... It is said that it is a harmless, but annoying demon hiding in a clergyman clothes :D

Last edited:

ChristineM

Premium Member
Ahah yes ! Meeting one is considered auspicious... Also they are known in rural folk tales for showing the way home to lost children and travelers.

I've found one the other day too ! They are adorable :D

The cats had been hovering around the burner for a couple of hours before i decided to check inside.

Took it outside and placed it on an ivy leaf, it turned and seemed to look at me. I like to think it was saying thanks.

France is a wealth of folk tradition.

David1967

Premium Member
This would be funny xD you would certainly be booted out of the village but it would be totally worth it !

Yes it would be worth it. Besides, a village where people were sticking their heads into occupied caskets is not one I would want to hang out in anyway.