1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Funny ancestor stories!

Discussion in 'Games / Pics / Jokes / Stories' started by Booko, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Booko

Booko Deviled Hen

Ratings:
    +1,380
    OK, just for kicks let's start a thread on funny stories about our ancestors.

I'll kick this one off with the reason my grandfather came to the U.S. from the Netherlands. He lived in a small town a couple of miles from the canal separating the Netherlands from Germany. Granddad was quite a hulk of a guy, and he and a buddy of his used to sneak across the canal at night and rustle pigs from German farmers. When he got wind the German police were narrowing down the search and them might find him and his buddy, they both decided it was time to head for the New World.

The other bit of irony on this side of the family is that his family were originally Hugenots -- French Protestants that sought safe haven from religious persecution by heading for the low countries.

My grandfather was the only Protestant left in his family. Everyone else married into Catholic families and our remaining family in the Netherlands is all Catholic now, so it seems we've come full circle. :)

2. Bishka

Bishka Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +1,494
    My great-grandfather was about two years old (and this is when the boys still wore dresses), and he was squatting down and just playing on the ground with some dirt and toys and he was just squatting there and a duck or chicken came around and saw something dangling from my grandfather's dress that looked like a worm, so that duck decided that it looked good and went over and took a bite.

My great-grandfather said he never yowled that loud before or after that moment.