• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Funerals and grieving

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I don't think it matters if it's been done before. The population here changes. I mean...I don't, obviously. I'm not allowed to leave until I've paid off my debts to @Debater Slayer.

Anywhoos...to the topic...
I can't represent atheists, but only myself. But my world view would suggest that a funeral is focused on allowing those still living to say goodbye to the one who has passed.
That being the case, it should be representative of the person who has died. So I don't go into a funeral hoping for a non-religious service, for example. I go in hoping the service matches the person.
And there should be enough space for individuals to grieve in their own way, since we really are all very different in that sense, I think. Laughter works for some, tears for others, some want contact (hugs) others really want to be left alone.
The key thing is that we all look out for each other, and make sure people have help (both practical and mental/spiritual) as required.

If we do all that, personally, I don't care about the rest.

When I die, I would fully expect it to be completely non-religious (since I don't want to look like a hypocrite in death) and not involve anyone looking at my dead body. I want to be cremated, and have the ashes scattered to the winds, and encourage people to remember my life, not my death.
I would also like some laughter, even if it's just the groan-inducing kind my bad jokes seems to attract.
I get that not everyone will be able to laugh. But those who can, should. And those who know me will surely find SOMETHING amusing in it all.

Thank you, and I concur. Your post helped me realise how fortunate I've been to have been a eulogist, several times. As a eulogist, you get to speak from the heart, and set a tone. I prefer the ones where the crowd wanted jokes and stories.