• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Funds to help Afghans?

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Has anybody already looked into where we can send donations to help Afghans fleeing the Taliban?

I’ve found one through Open Society, Save the Children, and IRC. I’ve donated to IRC before, but I wasn’t very responsible about looking into whether they use funds efficiently or whether they have any harmful practices.

I’ll be looking into this on my own, but I thought we could crowdsource looking into things here as well.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
So far, a lot of watchdogs give IRC good scores for efficient use of funds at least. They claim to use funds to help “displaced” people. I need my laptop.

Justanatheist

Just something I found looking around,

USAID’s OIG conducted investigations in Turkey into allegations that IRC staff participated in a collusion and kickback scheme with a Turkish supply ring, which included bid-rigging activities in the selection of goods and services contracts for cross-border humanitarian relief into Syria. USAID OIG and the USAO-DC Civil Division also investigated allegations that IRC staff received kickbacks, steered bid procurement tenders, and allowed conflicts of interest between staff and suspect vendors. The investigation revealed that conduct by IRC staff resulted in the procurement of goods at unreasonably high prices, which were subsequently invoiced to USAID from October 2012 to December 2015.
The International Rescue Committee (“IRC”) Agrees to Pay $6.9 Million To Settle Allegations That It Performed Procurement Fraud by Engaging in Collusive Behavior and Misconduct on Programs Funded by the United States Agency for International Development

exchemist

Veteran Member
Has anybody already looked into where we can send donations to help Afghans fleeing the Taliban?

I’ve found one through Open Society, Save the Children, and IRC. I’ve donated to IRC before, but I wasn’t very responsible about looking into whether they use funds efficiently or whether they have any harmful practices.

I’ll be looking into this on my own, but I thought we could crowdsource looking into things here as well.
There was a woman from UNICEF interviewed on the radio today, saying they have been helping the education of girls in Afghanistan for years and are carrying on. She didn't seem to think they were in too much danger, at least so far. I pricked my ears up at this, as it is the subject closest to my heart. But I realise this is slightly off-topic as it does not relate to displaced people.

I propose to wait a few days to see how things transpire before doing anything. It will be chaos for a bit and then a story will emerge about what the problems are going to be.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
There was a woman from UNICEF interviewed on the radio today, saying they have been helping the education of girls in Afghanistan for years and are carrying on. She didn't seem to think they were in too much danger, at least so far. I pricked my ears up at this, as it is the subject closest to my heart. But I realise this is slightly off-topic as it does not relate to displaced people.

I propose to wait a few days to see how things transpire before doing anything. It will be chaos for a bit and then a story will emerge about what the problems are going to be.

Education of girls is also a priority of mine. I would contribute to this as well if UNICEF is reasonably sure they can do it.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Education of girls is also a priority of mine. I would contribute to this as well if UNICEF is reasonably sure they can do it.
I believe that disallowing girls an education is a travesty. Universal education is an important Baha’i principle, so Baha'is believe that all children should be educated, and it is even more important to educate girls than boys.

Educating Girls—Even More Essential than Boys

Education holds an important place in the new order of things. The education of each child is compulsory. If there is not money enough in a family to educate both the girl and the boy the money must be dedicated to the girl’s education, for she is the potential mother. If there are no parents the community must educate the child. In addition to this widespread education each child must be taught a profession, art, or trade, so that every member of the community will be enabled to earn his own livelihood. – Abdu’l-Baha, Divine Philosophy, p. 83.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I believe that disallowing girls an education is a travesty. Universal education is an important Baha’i principle, so Baha'is believe that all children should be educated, and it is even more important to educate girls than boys.

Educating Girls—Even More Essential than Boys

Education holds an important place in the new order of things. The education of each child is compulsory. If there is not money enough in a family to educate both the girl and the boy the money must be dedicated to the girl’s education, for she is the potential mother. If there are no parents the community must educate the child. In addition to this widespread education each child must be taught a profession, art, or trade, so that every member of the community will be enabled to earn his own livelihood. – Abdu’l-Baha, Divine Philosophy, p. 83.
Here endeth the sales pitch for Baha'i. ;)

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Just something I found looking around,

USAID’s OIG conducted investigations in Turkey into allegations that IRC staff participated in a collusion and kickback scheme with a Turkish supply ring, which included bid-rigging activities in the selection of goods and services contracts for cross-border humanitarian relief into Syria. USAID OIG and the USAO-DC Civil Division also investigated allegations that IRC staff received kickbacks, steered bid procurement tenders, and allowed conflicts of interest between staff and suspect vendors. The investigation revealed that conduct by IRC staff resulted in the procurement of goods at unreasonably high prices, which were subsequently invoiced to USAID from October 2012 to December 2015.
The International Rescue Committee (“IRC”) Agrees to Pay $6.9 Million To Settle Allegations That It Performed Procurement Fraud by Engaging in Collusive Behavior and Misconduct on Programs Funded by the United States Agency for International Development

That’s really unfortunate. I was seeing good watchdog reviews on IRC. It also may come down to what’s even available. I will research more when I have my laptop.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I have no desire to donate to the Taliban who will surely intercept the funds.