• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fundie Christians Think The Flintstones was a Documentary

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Which President has not been caught lying?
It's part of the job.
I don't think that rises to the level of being called
"despot" or "war criminal".

George W. Bush, along with the likes of Colin Powell and Dick Cheney, indeed directly caused war crimes, torture, and large-scale destruction in Iraq. I don't think it should take any lengthy argument or legal technicality to conclude that he is a war criminal and that he deserves to be tried as such.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
George W. Bush, along with the likes of Colin Powell and Dick Cheney, indeed directly caused war crimes, torture, and large-scale destruction in Iraq. I don't think it should take any lengthy argument or legal technicality to conclude that he is a war criminal and that he deserves to be tried as such.
Calling a President a "war criminal" typically boils down to
political affiliation. But would those accusing Bush Jr be
willing to apply the same standards of judgment to other
Presidents?
Large scale destruction, lying about war, torture....you'll
find that even beloved Democrats would be guilty.
Is Bush Jr significantly worse than all the others?

Now I'm OK with holding Presidents to greater accountability
for wrongful acts. But I oppose demonizing some, but
ignoring others. I like uniform standards.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Calling a President a "war criminal" typically boils down to
political affiliation. But would those accusing Bush Jr be
willing to apply the same standards of judgment to other
Presidents?

I only speak for myself, and yes, I'd readily call any president who did what Bush, Jr. did a war criminal regardless of political affiliation.

Large scale destruction, lying about war, torture....you'll
find that even beloved Democrats would be guilty.

Now I'm OK with holding Presidents to greater accountability
for wrongful acts. But I oppose demonizing some, but
ignoring others. I like uniform standards.

The Democratic Party has an abysmal track record with support for wars and interventionism. From my perspective as an Arab, it isn't much better than the GOP when it comes to the way it has handled American policies toward my region.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I only speak for myself, and yes, I'd readily call any president who did what Bush, Jr. did a war criminal regardless of political affiliation.

The Democratic Party has an abysmal track record with support for wars and interventionism. From my perspective as an Arab, it isn't much better than the GOP when it comes to the way it has handled American policies toward my region.
Rather than calling most Presidents, some Presidents, or
1 President a "war criminal", I prefer to criticize actions taken.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Rather than calling most Presidents, some Presidents, or
1 President a "war criminal", I prefer to criticize actions taken.

Calling them out as such when they deserve the label could be useful to hold them accountable, at least in theory.

I'd take Bush and every last one of his Iraq War figureheads to court if I could, but since I can't, I see no reason to stop using an accurate term for him.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Calling them out as such when they deserve the label could be useful to hold them accountable, at least in theory.

I'd take Bush and every last one of his Iraq War figureheads to court if I could, but since I can't, I see no reason to stop using an accurate term for him.
OK.

night912

I don’t get the Bible literalists. They think the Earth was created in a literal 6 days and the Earth is 6,000 years old, but Jesus talking about plucking your eye out and chopping your hand off is metaphor? That’s all in the Bible too. I should expect to see thousands of one-handed Christian boys and men. Right?- Nope, it was the left.
That's because you've interpreted the bible wrong. The correct interpretation is that it WAS literally a "Spiritual" plucking of the eye and "Spiritual" chopping of the hand. It's like what happened to Adam and Eve. They did die after eating the fruit. It was literally a "Spiritual" death, and not a literal physical death. :D