• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fundamentalists don't believe Christianity is a Living Organism?

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I've heard most fundamentalists say that Christianity should be practiced exactly as the book of Acts describes, and only by the Bible alone. So fundamentalists don't believe Christianity should be like a living organism that grows and changes over time? If not, isn't it pretty well a dead religion that can never evolve or grow?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
What you say, would seem to be the position they repeat time and again on this forum.

However any thing that is not changing and growing is dying.

wmjbyatt

Lunatic from birth
Most Fundamentalist Christians in my experience (and I do have some experience with them, having argued with many and dated a few) boil Christianity as a whole to a few basic precepts. The most important is that Jesus of Nazareth was the begotten son of God, born to the (at the time) Virgin Mary, and that Jesus is the Savior of all mankind, having given Himself in sacrifice at the Cross. This is the central tenet pervading most fundamentalist sects.

But, see, fundamentalism is also NOT an organized religion, strictly. Citing Biblical passages, fundamentalists do not have a unifying structure that co-ordinates their theology. Each fundamentalist Church--as in the pastor, building, and congregation--is its own Christ-worshiping entity, not governed by a greater (mundane) hierarchy. To most fundamentalists, Christianity is the name for the belief that Christ is Savior and that Faith in Him is the path to Salvation. So yeah, they aren't going to believe that Christianity is a living thing, because Christianity is only a word that is shorthand for a single belief.

Tathagata

Freethinker
I've heard most fundamentalists say that Christianity should be practiced exactly as the book of Acts describes, and only by the Bible alone. So fundamentalists don't believe Christianity should be like a living organism that grows and changes over time? If not, isn't it pretty well a dead religion that can never evolve or grow?

In order to do that, the Christians would have to concede that the Bible isn't the inerrant, infallible word of God.

Last edited: