• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fundamentalism in Christianity

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
does fundamentalism, in christianity, keep the fundamentalist from being a servant to the ALL and all?

I vote: yes.

Fundamentalist Christianity excludes all other spiritual paths as false. I do not see how someone who believes their way is correct and all other ways are wrong can serve ALL.

edit: On the other hand, perhaps a Fundamentalist would say, " I do not want to serve ALL ". I believe they have the choice to serve: ALL, some, One, or none without criticism.

Last edited:

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Last edited:

sooda

Veteran Member
does fundamentalism, in christianity, keep the fundamentalist from being a servant to the ALL and all?

Fundamentalism was organized in Philadelphia in 1919 as a pushback against modernity .. or basically change.

Opinion | The Day Christian Fundamentalism Was Born - The ...
upload_2019-6-2_11-58-26.jpeg
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/25/opinion/the-day...
May 25, 2019 · The 1919 meeting in Philadelphia was just the beginning. Soon fundamentalist magazines, independent Bible institutes, annual conferences and, beginning in the mid 1920s, church-run radio stations ...

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I think F. is very harmful, it blocks path of knowledge.

behold i stand at the door and knock, a closed minded person will no be of one mind, or like minded. they look at the outward appearance of a man and not the heart/mind

friendship is two bodies being of one mind - mencius

sooda

Veteran Member
I think F. is very harmful, it blocks path of knowledge.

Fundamentalism shows up when people feel threatened by change. Look at what happened in the Muslim world after the Iranian Revolution and the siege of Mecca???

In America.. some Christians were threatened by the jazz age and women bobbing their hair.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Fundamentalism shows up when people feel threatened by change. Look at what happened in the Muslim world after the Iranian Revolution and the siege of Mecca???

In America.. some Christians were threatened by the jazz age and women bobbing their hair.

do you suppose fundamentalism is like the milgram experiment? people blindly following authority and without question? without conscience, self-awareness?

leov

It goes back to bicameralism.

ajay0

Imho, if it was the original Christianity taught by Christ, fundamentalist christianity would have been a good idea and would have helped the individual grow spiritually.

But fundamentalist Churchianity ( that was carefully designed by the Romans after centuries of brutally persecuting the Christians) would not be much of a good idea.

sooda

Veteran Member
do you suppose fundamentalism is like the milgram experiment? people blindly following authority and without question? without conscience, self-awareness?

I never heard of the Milgram experiment so you got me there.

This is interesting... and makes sense to me .. It coincides with the Scofield Bible.

Opinion | The Day Christian Fundamentalism Was Born - The ...
upload_2019-6-2_12-21-43.jpeg
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/25/opinion/the-day...
May 25, 2019 · The 1919 meeting in Philadelphia was just the beginning. Soon fundamentalist magazines, independent Bible institutes, annual conferences and, beginning in the mid 1920s, church-run radio stations ...

sooda

Veteran Member
Oh yeah.. I remember now.. Must have been in 1963? Shocking stuff.

Milgram's Experiment on Obedience to Authority
Milgram's Experiment on Obedience to Authority
Nov 15, 2004 · Milgram s Experiment on Obedience to Authority. Milgram s experiment included a number of variations. In one, the learner was not only visible but teachers were asked to force the learner s hand to the shock plate so they could deliver the punishment. Less obedience was extracted from subjects in this case.

David T

Premium Member
Fundementalism is what Kant is referring to in regard to trancendental illusion. It's not just in religion.

What's objective? What's subjective? Religious culture over time tends to slide into a spiral inward over multiple generations not unlike scientific theories.

A fundementalist in science drag only knows what is current as being the Apex of reality. It creates an illusion of being "objective" which it's not. When confronted it rejects the notion it's being limited and absurd fully convincing itself of its perceptions as being reality. Not unlike harsh orthodoxy fundementalism in religion. We call them in science drag reductionists.

There is always the two opposites in science held in tension in debate. One can see it in scientific debates such as emergence theory in evolutionary theories . What poses here on RF as evolutionary debates are not scientific debates. It's not unlike say a debate about which car is superior by two mechanical illiterates based on color. They tend to be nonsense.

PureX

Veteran Member
Often, it does. Because it drives them to serve their own religiosity, rather than the God of all.

Last edited:

Terry Sampson

.. it mostly makes sense for me.

It came highly recommended to me by an acquaintance. Got the book, but did not give it as thorough a reading as I would have like to. Thanks for the "audio" tip. I'll try that and see if I can increase my familiarity with Jayne's theory.

shmogie

Not in the least.

All fundamentalism means is that we accept the fundamental pillars of the faith laid down over 2,000 years ago.

Non fundamentalists treat Christian fundamentals like a lump of silly putty. They can tear pieces off and throw them away, and they can shape and mold it till it looks exactly like they want it. to look.