• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fun with dice! Am making a game...

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
A while back I bought a big set of dice off the internet

Many different dice, 10 side, 20 side, 8 side, and many more

Got some regular 6-sided dice too

I love playing with them, they captivate me

But I don't see myself using them to make important life decisions!

If you go to google and type in "roll a dice" it gives you a choice of virtual dice to roll

I have decided I am going to make a game out of them

A kind of war-game, perhaps, I want to recreate a shoot-out between numerous squads

I'll share my rules on this forum once I've finished them, and at the moment I haven't even started!

I know it's all going to be based on a single 20-sided dice, but that's the furthest I've progressed with the project

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
A dice roll will never replace the clear and dependable advice from the Magic 8-Ball.

Erebus

It's a big wargames convention in South London if I remember correctly and it is about this time of year. Regular and lots of historical types, Napoleonics etc. things may have changed over the years.

Yep, Salute's still going strong and isn't far away. Of course it's in a precarious position this year with more and more events closing their doors.

@Eddi If you're looking to make a wargame, I'd recommend looking at existing rulesets for your ideas. Some companies release condensed versions of their rules for free online as a sort of demo of the game. Do a bit of scouting around to see what things you need to take into consideration. To get you going though, here are a few pointers to mull over:

Do you want your game to be competitive or narrative focused? In the former you need a system for making each side roughly even (points systems are common here. A tank will take up more of your allotted points than an infantryman).

What scale should your game be? When you say numerous squads, are you thinking of a few dozen units or a few hundred? Are you going to use miniatures or is it going to be done with pen and paper?

What setting do you want? Napoleonic, Dark Ages, Sci-fi and fantasy all have their own quirks you need to consider.

These are just a few of the things to consider if you're looking at making a wargame before you even look at the mechanics (for example, how to determine if a shot hits the target and whether that target is injured or killed by it). My recommendation would be to start as simple as you can and build up complexity once you have a workable system in place.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Yep, Salute's still going strong and isn't far away. Of course it's in a precarious position this year with more and more events closing their doors.

@Eddi If you're looking to make a wargame, I'd recommend looking at existing rulesets for your ideas. Some companies release condensed versions of their rules for free online as a sort of demo of the game. Do a bit of scouting around to see what things you need to take into consideration. To get you going though, here are a few pointers to mull over:

Do you want your game to be competitive or narrative focused? In the former you need a system for making each side roughly even (points systems are common here. A tank will take up more of your allotted points than an infantryman).

What scale should your game be? When you say numerous squads, are you thinking of a few dozen units or a few hundred? Are you going to use miniatures or is it going to be done with pen and paper?

What setting do you want? Napoleonic, Dark Ages, Sci-fi and fantasy all have their own quirks you need to consider.

These are just a few of the things to consider if you're looking at making a wargame before you even look at the mechanics (for example, how to determine if a shot hits the target and whether that target is injured or killed by it). My recommendation would be to start as simple as you can and build up complexity once you have a workable system in place.
Thank you, you have given me much to think about :)

I'll post my rules here once I've sorted them out

Terry Sampson

I prefer a simple and friendly roll of dice for money.

IMG_2269.JPG