• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fun Way To Fool Yourself -- Condemn Someone for Doing What You're Doing

Audie

Veteran Member
A person who is loyal and honest, etc., if they are motivated by the goal of being seen and recognized by others, will of course be critical of others because the whole deal is an ego project. Building up and protecting our egos is what leads to judging others to make ourselves feel acceptable to ourselves, which of course is just a lie we like to believe is the case.

To be loyal, honest, etc., as a byproduct of being a genuine human being who wishes to act with respect and regards towards others, actions which are not motivated by those ego concerns, will not judge others, but simply recognize in others what he or she has already recognized in themselves, but now no longer feel motivated by those. If we can see others shortcomings within ourselves, and accept those in ourselves, understand those in ourselves, and not be a critical self-judge for those, then we won't do it when we see it in others.

It's when we point out faults in others, when we condemn them or put them down, we are doing so because we don't accept ourselves, and are denying it it, not owning it. Once we own our own crap, there is no longer any need to feel superior as a compensatory response to self-rejection. Genuine self-acceptance leads to humility. "I am not superior. Why should I judge another?", is genuine humility. Humility doesn't mean you are inferior. It means you accept you're the same as everyone else, with your own cart of flaws you pull around with you all day, just as they do theirs.

Well, as they say,
Judge not lest thou be judged.
Eat not lest thou be eaten
Feel not lest thou be felt
Drink not lest thou be drunk
and
Think not lest thou be thunk.

Audie

Veteran Member
Folks have their faults. I have my faults.
I just see myself as different, not superior.

If they are not impacting me or folks I care about I don't care much. Just go on about your life as you see fit.

If OTOH they are impacting me or folks I care about, then it's not about me being superior. It's just about me finding a means to negate that impact.

Maybe it is something about what is implied
by "superior"?

Like in the eyes of god?

By any and all human metrics, one person can
be found superior to another. Just "different"
is an ideological stance I do not accept.

I know it is fashionable to say that no culture
is superior to another, despite that it so obviously
not so.

In Chinese culture, we do not try to pretend
people are equal, but readily accept the idea
that the superior person displays certain characteristics
and not others.

Of course, the more-or-less same word in two
languages carry quite different baggage.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Trump supporters condemn themselves through their behavior, then whine they are being picked on when anyone so much as accurately reports their behavior.

I do think they need to be more careful. For example, I see the Political Correctness movement as having helped me and at least a few others in certain situations. I'm not sure whether I should get into how here, but the Right often points to a few people in this Political Correctness movement who look like absolute clowns, what I consider a Twitter type of pseudo-social justice warrior, then they say all Political Correctness should be done away with. Upon a person from the Right making that statement, I can't even begin to find common ground to debate with them. They will resort to calling me a s-flake if I happen to bring up that some of the less extremes of the movement are good.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
by "superior"?

Like in the eyes of god?

not so.

and not others.

Zhong guo ren are certainly better than Riben ren & especially than us yang guizi.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
by "superior"?

Like in the eyes of god?

not so.

and not others.

Generally I treat people as having equal importance but having different abilities.

I'm better at somethings than other folks and some folks are better than me at different things.

Audie

Veteran Member
Generally I treat people as having equal importance but having different abilities.

I'm better at somethings than other folks and some folks are better than me at different things.

The homeless guy under the bridge is not actually
very important.

In the event the topic was "superior /inferior" not
importance. Lee Harvey Oswald proved to be important.

Now, if you mean "equal under the law" or somesuch,
that can be contrived, and sometimes it is even so.

That is not really superior / inferior either.

But where does such equality come from other than
that people choose to see it so?

It certainly is "more honoured in the breach than the observance."

We readily recognize that this dog is a superior to that, likewise
with divers other things living and otherwise.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
The homeless guy under the bridge is not actually
very important.

In the event the topic was "superior /inferior" not
importance. Lee Harvey Oswald proved to be important.

Now, if you mean "equal under the law" or somesuch,
that can be contrived, and sometimes it is even so.

That is not really superior / inferior either.

But where does such equality come from other than
that people choose to see it so?

It certainly is "more honoured in the breach than the observance."

We readily recognize that this dog is a superior to that, likewise
with divers other things living and otherwise.

I was homeless for a while. Folks abandoned me. Guess they didn't think I was very important. My grandson thinks I'm important. That's enough for me.

Never got into dog shows. A dog is a dog, as long as they are happy being a dog. I don't really care about them being superior to another dog.

I just mean I treat people with equal importance, from the person that cleans the bathroom to the owner of the company. They all got their jobs to do.

Different culture I suppose.

Audie

Veteran Member
I was homeless for a while. Folks abandoned me. Guess they didn't think I was very important. My grandson thinks I'm important. That's enough for me.

Never got into dog shows. A dog is a dog, as long as they are happy being a dog. I don't really care about them being superior to another dog.

I just mean I treat people with equal importance, from the person that cleans the bathroom to the owner of the company. They all got their jobs to do.

Different culture I suppose.

yup

gnomon

Have you noticed how much fun it is to fool yourself by attacking and condemning someone else for "feeling smug and superior" in such a manner that it makes you feel smug and superior to them?

Like,"Those religious folks think their religion makes them better than us atheists, but us atheists are really better than those religious folks because we don't go around feeling superior like they do".

Or, "Those atheist folks think their atheism makes them better than us religious folks, but us religious folks are really better than those atheist folks because we don't go around feeling superior like they do".

Ever notice how easy it is to fool yourself?

Ever notice how much fun it is?

I thinking ranking oneself as superior or inferior in comparison to other people pretty much goes with the territory of being human. It's almost impossible to escape doing it. So why should we condemn people for doing it? It is one thing to point out to folks that they are doing it -- but why try to condemn them for it? Does condemning people for feeling superior or inferior to you make any sense to you? Do you think condemning people is gong to change human nature? If so, why? If not, why not?

No.

I have not.

I have anxiety issues over my posts on this forum.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Have you noticed how much fun it is to fool yourself by attacking and condemning someone else for "feeling smug and superior" in such a manner that it makes you feel smug and superior to them?

Like,"Those religious folks think their religion makes them better than us atheists, but us atheists are really better than those religious folks because we don't go around feeling superior like they do".

Or, "Those atheist folks think their atheism makes them better than us religious folks, but us religious folks are really better than those atheist folks because we don't go around feeling superior like they do".

Ever notice how easy it is to fool yourself?

Ever notice how much fun it is?

I thinking ranking oneself as superior or inferior in comparison to other people pretty much goes with the territory of being human. It's almost impossible to escape doing it. So why should we condemn people for doing it? It is one thing to point out to folks that they are doing it -- but why try to condemn them for it? Does condemning people for feeling superior or inferior to you make any sense to you? Do you think condemning people is gong to change human nature? If so, why? If not, why not?

I suspect that social hierarchies give rise to evil. Your mileage may vary.

InChrist

Free4ever
Many years ago when i was christian i was taught that i should be superior to those who dont follow the christian bible... Even those who interpret it differently. Both testaments are jam packed with verses about the superiority of christianity.

When i took steps (big ones) to rid myself of the __________ (fill blank as required) of the christian church i realised how superior i was in doing so.

Lets face it, christian or atheist, one always feels superior to those on the other side.

Conclusion... I am superior no matter which side i am on :innocent:

I didn't know that the Old Testament said anything about Christianity.being superior or about Christianity at all.

I always have gotten out of both testaments that we are not to be proud or feel superior, rather humble, esteeming others...

He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
And what does the Lord require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God. Micah 6:48

Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. Philippians 2:3

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I didn't know that the Old Testament said anything about Christianity.being superior or about Christianity at all.

I always have gotten out of both testaments that we are not to be proud or feel superior, rather humble, esteeming others...

He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
And what does the Lord require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God. Micah 6:48

Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. Philippians 2:3

Ahh a time machine jockey. Brilliant.

So you do not believe the OT influenced Christianity? What god do you you worship who murders those who condones murder and rape and sex slavery and theft for his followers to feel superior about?

Yet you assume superiority here, will never admit to your errors. Interesting that you should believe otherwise.

InChrist

Free4ever
Ahh a time machine jockey. Brilliant.

So you do not believe the OT influenced Christianity? What god do you you worship who murders those who condones murder and rape and sex slavery and theft for his followers to feel superior about?

Yet you assume superiority here, will never admit to your errors. Interesting that you should believe otherwise.
I don't understand how what you said relates to what I said.