• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fun Things Which No One Else Would Think Are Fun

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I like useless facts about the IDF Artillery corps (where I served for a time). A few weeks ago I met someone who was also knowledgeable on the subject. For a few minutes (as that wasn't the main reason we met) we discussed various Howitzer models and their uses in the field battalions. Yay. :D

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
This is a bit difficult, there is a lot i can't discuss because of non disclosure but i will do my best.

We were contracted to design a plant mimic with full touch screen control of an under construction project. With the long repeated visits to examine and document the plant, verify cabling was correct and the plant equipment changing from the design parameters each day. We were pushing close to the deadline (with a rather large penalty clause for late delivery).

Delivery due by 12 noon Saturday. Following a final cram of 4 days of 24 hour working for 25 people, at 7:30 am it was compete. Now all we need was to deliver and install.

The destination was somewhat off grid so the data had to be shipped on two 4tb hard disks. We hired a helicopter to fly the disks and technician 480 miles.

The plant was turned on for full operation just 8 minutes before the penalty clause kicked in. It worked without a hitch.

I took the staff out for lunch then closed the studio for a week for us all to recover.

Ahh, those were the days...

ChristineM

Premium Member
Another one.

One of several reasons i moved to the Dordogne is Cro-magnon is a hobby of mine, not much is actually known so it doesn't take up much time but I like crawling on my hands and knees in caves, to see if i can learn something new.

I joined a dig mounted by the national museum of pre-history and Bordeaux university as volunteer grunt. Cleaning spoil from a 2 metre square taped off area deep in an unexplored cave system... Oh great fun.

Brushing the ground i uncovered a smooth bit, could be a stone but i called one of the archaeologists to check it out.

See my avatar.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I just posted this on another forum in a thread about machinery moves.

Two difficult ones......

A 13,000# steam engine powered generator from the Gold Coast Railway Museum in Miami FL in July.
(While not a big'n for some of you guys, that's a heavy one for me.)
It took almost 5 days (with no help) to get pieces of that thing thru a small door. Temperature in that
building was 140F in the daytime. At nite, wild dogs roamed the facility. As I worked, I could see the
pack's eyes lit up in the distance.
Oh, I did get some help....a couple kids were sentenced by a judge to do community service there
for some mischief. Each stood around for their hour long sentence enduring a lecture on rigging
& safety.
That was tiring. Then I had a 1400 mile drive home.
Advice:
On heat: Drink lots'o water. Eat. Get your electrolytes. Eat. Be safe, slow & methodical. And be sure to eat.
On wild dogs: Don't run. Stand your ground. Tell those b1tches who's boss.

A big ole Fitchburg steam engine in the basement of an antique store (old shoe factory) in NH.
I was helping a friend get an engine he paid too much for.
(He didn't factor in the work & cost of a full week to extract & move the rassin frassin beast.)
The recipe:
Consider all the plans which won't work. Eventually figure out one that will.
Cut a hole in the floor.
Buy a lot of lumber & jack screw posts.
Re-frame the building's central structure to support 4 floors above.
Remove main support structure erected on top of the engine.
(I had the building's owner's permission to do all that. Why on Earth would she trust
someone like me do that? She had no insurance on the building cuz it was uninsurable.)
Take apart the engine.
Rig a gantry crane to lift the parts up to the 1st floor.
Clear a long exit path of all the knick knacks, geegaws, jimcracks, bricabrack, chotchkies, & other fragile collectibles.
Rent a forklift to move parts from loading dock to trailer.
Manage to stay friends with the engine's owner despite his being in a hurry, & getting yelled at for unsafe behavior.

Life doesn't get any better than that, eh.

Btw, I took pictures to document the Fitchburg move.
The owner doesn't smile in any of them.
Expensive learning experiences can do that to a guy.

Here is some heavy moving UK style