• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Frustrated and confused

GoodbyeDave

The world appears so complex to me. I can't make any sense of it. Everyone says something different and they keep contradicting each other. I don't know who or what to believe anymore.
Well, the world is complex. Nor would you expect to make sense of it: it's a lot bigger that you are, for a start. Can you make sense of your computer? If not, what are your chances with the universe? Anyone who tells you that they can make sense of everything is obviously deluded, to put it bluntly.

Does everyone contradict each other in religion? Well, that depends on to whom you're listening.

Secondary religions - ones with founders and scriptures - necessarily contradict each other. If you are starting a religion, you are obviously claiming that everyone else has got it wrong, so you have to tell them what's right. For me, that was the killer argument. If there are, say, 10 secondary religions, then if one were right that would mean the other 9 got it wrong. So, if you found a religion, or pick one at random, there's a 90% chance it's wrong!

Primary religions, that have "just grown", do not usually contradict each other. A Christian can't worship in a mosque, but I could worship in a Hindu/Japanese/Chinese/etc temple. If you believe Jesus was the messiah, that implies that Muhammad wasn't a prophet, but if I worship Hestia, that doesn't invalidate the worship of Ganesha or Xiwangmu.

Aset's Flames

Viperine Asetian
I'm so lost right now. The world appears so complex to me. I can't make any sense of it. Everyone says something different and they keep contradicting each other. I don't know who or what to believe anymore. It seems that making up your own answer is just as well, since it's impossible to get to the 'truth' anyways.

I've been there and done that with many faiths and beliefs. I don't know what happened, but I've started feeling not at peace. I keep looking and finding something else each time, but nothing satisfies me. I keep worrying that I'm going insane, but I guess that's what I do anyway.

It's exhausting. I wish I could find whatever it is I'm looking for.

Sorry. Just venting :s

I understand how you feel, I have went through the same process countless times.

The best route to truth is to look within.

Senseless

Bonnie & Clyde
I'm trying. I regret ever being an atheist, it's left me faithless. I don't need this despair on top of everything else.

rusra02

Premium Member
I'm so lost right now. The world appears so complex to me. I can't make any sense of it. Everyone says something different and they keep contradicting each other. I don't know who or what to believe anymore. It seems that making up your own answer is just as well, since it's impossible to get to the 'truth' anyways.

I've been there and done that with many faiths and beliefs. I don't know what happened, but I've started feeling not at peace. I keep looking and finding something else each time, but nothing satisfies me. I keep worrying that I'm going insane, but I guess that's what I do anyway.

It's exhausting. I wish I could find whatever it is I'm looking for.

Sorry. Just venting :s
I understand how you feel. Have you read the Bible?

rusra02

Premium Member
Make sure to read all the good stuff in the old testament, like mauling down children with bears in god's name because they made fun of your baldness.
There are many things in the Bible people criticize without knowing all the reasons for what occurred. They quickly conclude that their ways are more righteous than God's.As Job 35:2 asks; "Are you so convinced that you are right that you would say,‘I am more righteous than God?"

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There are many things in the Bible people criticize without knowing all the reasons for what occurred.
So you're saying that we can't really understand the contexts so we shouldn't really conclude anything definitively from what we read in the Bible. Right?

Last edited:

rusra02

Premium Member
So you're saying that we can't really understand the contexts so we shouldn't really conclude anything definitively from what we read in the Bible. Right?

I'm saying; "It is unthinkable for the true God to act wickedly, For the Almighty to do wrong! For he will reward a man according to what he does and bring upon him the consequences of his ways. For a certainty, God does not act wickedly;The Almighty does not pervert justice." (Job 34:10-12)

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm saying; "It is unthinkable for the true God to act wickedly, For the Almighty to do wrong! For he will reward a man according to what he does and bring upon him the consequences of his ways. For a certainty, God does not act wickedly;The Almighty does not pervert justice." (Job 34:10-12)
So you're saying scripture cannot contradict itself? And when it does, it's something wrong with your interpretation? So how do you know then that this verse you are quoting here isn't a bad interpretation which contradicts the portrait of God sending a bear to kill children for mocking a bald man? How do you really know the context well enough to say this verse doesn't actually mean God is good, since elsewhere it shows him as petty, jealous, and vindictive?

To me, it's easier to say scripture contains many portraits of God, some good and some juvenile. It's a collection of ideas about God which often times conflict with each other.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Seeking is not always caused by a spiritual need.

I think sometimes when people begin to seek for something missing it is because there is really something missing physically. For example I have found that my nieces and nephews (while troublesome) turn a key. They are troublesome and ask for favors and things, but I need them somehow. They are a benefit to me and inspire me. If I did not have them I would feel like something was missing and wouldn't know what it was.

Sometimes it is as simple as getting a pet. Its also possible to feel like something is missing and it be a lack of sleep, not eating enough, etc.

Sometimes it isn't any of those things, and the search is for other reasons. These are the times that the Buddhists are correct when they say go back to breathing or sitting etc.

Sometimes what you need is reassurance that humanity is worthwhile or that there is a better future possible -- something to work for; and its true that there is a better future possible. There is a better future, and we should be a part of creating it.

rusra02

Premium Member
So you're saying scripture cannot contradict itself? And when it does, it's something wrong with your interpretation? So how do you know then that this verse you are quoting here isn't a bad interpretation which contradicts the portrait of God sending a bear to kill children for mocking a bald man? How do you really know the context well enough to say this verse doesn't actually mean God is good, since elsewhere it shows him as petty, jealous, and vindictive?

To me, it's easier to say scripture contains many portraits of God, some good and some juvenile. It's a collection of ideas about God which often times conflict with each other.
The mob of juvenile delinquents that mocked Elisha showed great disrespect for God's prophet. It was not childish fun, but persecution of God's representative that apparently continued for some time. The account states "He went up from there to Bethʹel. As he was going along the way, some young boys came out from the city and began to jeer at him, and they kept saying to him: “Go up, you baldhead! Go up, you baldhead!” Finally he turned around and looked at them and cursed them in the name of Jehovah. Then two she-bears came out of the forest and tore 42 of the children to pieces." (2 Kings 2:23,34) This account shows me that Jehovah does not excuse evil conduct merely because the perpetrators are young. Your view that the true God is vindictive or petty is much mistaken, IMO.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The mob of juvenile delinquents that mocked Elisha showed great disrespect for God's prophet. It was not childish fun, but persecution of God's representative that apparently continued for some time. The account states "He went up from there to Bethʹel. As he was going along the way, some young boys came out from the city and began to jeer at him, and they kept saying to him: “Go up, you baldhead! Go up, you baldhead!” Finally he turned around and looked at them and cursed them in the name of Jehovah. Then two she-bears came out of the forest and tore 42 of the children to pieces." (2 Kings 2:23,34)
Ok, so God listens to the injured ego of some prophet and kills those who made fun of him? That's a lot of power in the hands of a fallible human. Isn't that the fantasy of every victim of bullying in 7th grade?

This account shows me that Jehovah does not excuse evil conduct merely because the perpetrators are young. Your view that the true God is vindictive or petty is much mistaken, IMO.
It shows me it's a direct contradiction to Jesus' teaching to love your enemies.