• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fruit of "We are God!"

InvestigateTruth

This is a continuation of the other thread about the ways of God.
Some of the RF members said, We are God, in a sense that God is not separated. Some gave an analogy of drops of water in an ocean.

Question is, how fruitful and real is this belief that we are all God?!! Wouldn't the fruit of such a belief be "Vainglory" . To claim and think as part of a God!
I also don't understand how this belief can be reconciled with so much evilness and selfishness in the World. If we are all God, having such a divine and great nature, how come so many people have been killing others, doing wrongdoings or, being unfair. We live in a world that, there are so much poverty, and yet, there are so many selfish people who cannot even count their own money due to excessive wealth. How can we be divine or part of divinity with all these selfishness and wrongdoings?!

Duke_Leto

Does whether the belief is 'fruitful' or not mean anything as to whether it's true? Also, why do you assume that God can't kill others, do wrong, or be unfair?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Some of the RF members said, We are God, in a sense that God is not separated. Some gave an analogy of drops of water in an ocean.

Question is, how fruitful and real is this belief that we are all God?!! Wouldn't the fruit of such a belief be "Vainglory" . To claim and think as part of a God!

I also don't understand how this belief can be reconciled with so much evilness and selfishness in the World.

If we are all God, having such a divine and great nature, how come so many people have been killing others, doing wrongdoings or, being unfair.

We live in a world that, there are so much poverty, and yet, there are so many selfish people who cannot even count their own money due to excessive wealth.

How can we be divine or part of divinity with all these selfishness and wrongdoings?!

May we converse?

When you see yourself (not just people around you) as bad, then there is no reason to help oneself by one's self. There is a foregone conclusion as if that person gives up on life because he feels he cannot do it on his own. Instead of seeing it as an outside problem, look at it as an insight problem you included. Do you trust yourself to find divinity in you or do you feel you are bad inwardly and need help from an outside party?

Meditation, reflection, and other things depending on the person, just being still, is one way to hear yourself. It makes sense that you'd not understand when you see yourself broken rather than blessed.

:leafwind:

Do you have evilness in you? Are you inherently evil?

Personally, I feel a community is one way to help society from what you call evilness. However, it starts with us, knowing our self, who are we apart from the outside world. The outside world will die when you die. The only thing you have is yourself until you die.

:leafwind:

Divinity isn't a deity or anything so it doesn't "get rid" of your sin. It just is. You. Me. John. Humanity. in my opinion needs to find ourselves to be humble and help others.

People search outside themselves when they can die any minute and miss out on what god/deity is. When you say you found god/deity you still say he is a mystery and can't be known. So, it's based on faith. edit therefore, you'd be searching all your life and do bad things because you feel you can't reach your goal.

When you look into yourself, your own divinity, faith no longer exists (as the context of believing without seeing). It's just you and yourself.

There are many ways to know your divinity. Once you look outside yourself, someone else's defines who you are. You don't learn who you are by asking others to confirm your experiences. You trust your experiences as who you are and "maybe" use an outside guide to direct you but not define you as a person.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

I also don't understand how this belief can be reconciled with so much evilness and selfishness in the World. If we are all God, having such a divine and great nature, how come so many people have been killing others, doing wrongdoings or, being unfair. We live in a world that, there are so much poverty, and yet, there are so many selfish people who cannot even count their own money due to excessive wealth. How can we be divine or part of divinity with all these selfishness and wrongdoings?!

I can easily turn this around and ask how one can reconcile the belief that an omnibenevolent transcendent being can exist with such behaviors in the world.

Let's assume for a moment an impersonal God that does has no interest or stakes in human behaviors, at least no more than it has for rabbit in the woods. A God that is simply an observer; a witness that doesn't lay out consequences for good or bad behavior, because good and evil, right and wrong are constructs of the human mind and not constructs of God. God is neither good nor evil, right or wrong. God simply is. It is human ego that creates and acts upon these concepts and exhibits such behaviors accordingly.

Imagine how fruitful it could be if humans realized their egos and took responsibility for their own actions instead of blaming other beings.

Last edited:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Question is, how fruitful and real is this belief that we are all God?!! Wouldn't the fruit of such a belief be "Vainglory" .
Absolutely not. It's the exact opposite of the ego and it's vainglory. To Realize that you are God, is to completely surrender and disolve the ego. All that is left is God. You are no more.

I can't recall which mystic was that said this, but I believe he was a Sufi mystic. He said that to say one is God, is the humblest thing any human can say.

I also don't understand how this belief can be reconciled with so much evilness and selfishness in the World.
Evilness comes when we think are separate from God. No one who loves with the Love of God, hates his neighbor. This is the core teachings of Jesus. Evilness comes when we believe ourselves to be separate from God and act out of less than Divine Love.

If we are all God, having such a divine and great nature, how come so many people have been killing others, doing wrongdoings or, being unfair.
Being that, and Realizing that are two different things. A sin, is to fall short of the Divine Nature which is all of us. We can act outside of God, to be certain. That is the cause of all suffering in the world, and in ourselves.

InvestigateTruth

Does whether the belief is 'fruitful' or not mean anything as to whether it's true?
No, not necessarily. But in this case, the idea that we are God, and not separated from God, comes from certain religions, which claim to have certain teachings from divinity that if one follows those teachings, they become happier, more spiritual human, and that is to say, it has fruit.

Also, why do you assume that God can't kill others, do wrong, or be unfair?
Again, the idea that we are God, comes from certain religions, which claim God is fair, and perfect.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I can easily turn this around and ask how one can reconcile the belief that an omnibenevolent transcendent being can exist with such behaviors in the world.

The same way parents can exist.

You can bring a person into being with free will. Teach the children all the best of life lessons and knowledge, but they still have to make their choices. Some still make very bad choices, but that is life.

The guidance is there, thus why do we choose to ignore it?

Regards Tony

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

I think you're confused with who the 'we' is. It's not the selfish ego personal identification that 'we' refers to. It's the essence, the soul nature. But sure, if you identify 'we' as selfish ego, then sure.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Investigator. When you see yourself as evil (as part of an evil world), then to see the divine in another as the divine will be hard to understand. When you look outside yourself for help without acknowledging the divine within you just in case your outside source is no longer there, it would be hard to understand.

When you see yourself as part of the divine, there is no barrier between you and god. If the messengers connect to god one or one, it's not impossible...it's just changing your perception.

Then you'll understand. One step at a time.

InvestigateTruth

And I agree, it is fair to ask that question. But how about not in this thread?

Let's assume for a moment an impersonal God that does has no interest or stakes in human behaviors, at least no more than it has for rabbit in the woods. A God that is simply an observer; a witness that doesn't lay out consequences for good or bad behavior, because good and evil, right and wrong are constructs of the human mind and not constructs of God. God is neither good nor evil, right or wrong. God simply is. It is human ego that creates and acts upon these concepts and exhibits such behaviors accordingly.

Sure, we can assume that God is only a witness, as you say. But would this assumption be reconcilable if God is not separate from us? If we are God, and Each is a part of God, how can we say, God would not do anything about wrongdoings happening within Himself? Is God careless of what happens to anyone, or incapable of doing something to create justice?

The thing is, the idea that we are God comes from religions which claims God has a purpose, and not just a witness. The fact that according to those religions, there would be a reincarnation, would imply that the God who created this system, have a purpose to enable everyone to free everyone from the cycle of life and death.

Imagine how fruitful it could be if humans realized their egos and took responsibility for their own actions instead of blaming other beings.
Ok, but I don't see that really does not reply the question in OP.

aMirage

Look outside, seek and observe.
I'm not following you. No one says they created the universe.

That's what you propose by saying "I am God", period. No linguistic traps can get away from that.
You can call a carrot "God" but all you're doing is calling another word that makes no rational correlation - historically, etymologically or observably.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
That's what you propose by saying "I am God", period. No linguistic traps can get away from that.
You can call a carrot "God" but all you're doing is calling a carrot a term which makes no rational correlation - historically, etymologically and observably.

Linguistics isn't the focus. God just means object of worship. Roman view it just means a deity most likely from myths. It's not a good word to describe what many define as the creator and mystery of the universe.

English uses different context for one word or phrase. So, if you don't know the context, than god to you won't be the same as god to another. It will sound ridiculous.

"We are god" just means we are born, live, and die in the heart of god. There is no separation. In context, it just means divinity. You're not bad or evil. You're divine.

Maybe Yahweh is the creator if you're christian (or so have you). But god, no. In this thread, we're talking about two different context of the same word. The OP is trying to understand how we see ourselves as god (divine).

I know it sounds ridiculous to you, but is it worth understanding other people's point of view?

aMirage

Look outside, seek and observe.
I know it sounds ridiculous to you, but is it worth understanding other people's point of view?

Sure but this is not what I'm saying. A person can go around all day claiming that a Cow is a Television all day but there is no historical, etymological and observable foundation or rational reason to say so.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
You're imposing your own subjective worldview here.

There is no reason to be defensive (challenging my opinions as if they are wrong). The word god means object of worship. We can make anything and anyone gods.

What religion do you follow? The word god is throwing you off.

It's not a good word to describe what many define as the creator and mystery of the universe.

God isn't a good word to describe the creator and mystery of the universe.

Is god a good term or is there something more specific?

English uses different context for one word or phrase. So, if you don't know the context, than god to you won't be the same as god to another. It will sound ridiculous.

English uses words in context. Each word has different meanings depending on the context.

1. Oh my god!
2. Tell it to the gods
3. God is my lord and savior
4. The God Zues rains over Rome

and so have you. Do you have a more specific word because debating over the word god doesn't make sense to the context of this thread.

"We are god" just means we are born, live, and die in the heart of god. There is no separation. In context, it just means divinity. You're not bad or evil. You're divine.

Aka. You are not evil nor bad.

I know it sounds ridiculous. Is it worth understanding another's point of view?