• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Frubals: Quality or Quantity?

Imagist

Worshipper of Athe.
How do you think most frubals are gained: by posting more posts, or by posting better posts?

Personally, I give out frubals for quality. But it seems that if you post enough, no matter how inane your posts, someone will find them insightful. I find that when I post more often, I get more frubals, even if the quality of my posts suffers due to more rapid posting.

That said, I really don't care about getting frubals and I always aim for quality in my own posts.

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
People have all sorts of reasons for giving frubals. I give them for posts I find well worded, funny, or insightful - along with some for various odd reasons. As often as not, I'll just do it to make a private smart-aleck comment.

For me, the quantity doesn't matter at all. I could do without the count altogether. I enjoy the comments and would never want to give those up.

SoyLeche

meh...
I've stopped caring about the number of frubals. Frubal inflation has rendered them pretty worthless. I prefer a different metric:

Count up the number of times you have been frubaled (I copy the text into excel and have it count them).

Divide this number by your postcount.

This gives you, roughly, the % of your posts that are "frubal worthy" (the same post can be frubaled more than once, so that skews things a bit - you could end up having more than 100% of your posts being frubal worthy).

In my case, I have been frubaled 571 times, with 6,590 posts, so 8.66% of my posts are frubal worthy, or about 1 out of 11 or 12 of my posts is good enough that someone felt strongly enough about it to pull the Frubal lever. I have no idea how this compares to others, as I can't get the information to do the calculation for anyone but myself.

Under this system, quality is what matters. One could go for quantity, but if were to take me more than 11 posts to fish out a frubal my overal frubal worthiness would go down.

Last edited:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I give them for posts that make me laugh, make me smile, make me feel, or make me ponder. In that order.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
How do you think most frubals are gained: by posting more posts, or by posting better posts?

Personally, I give out frubals for quality. But it seems that if you post enough, no matter how inane your posts, someone will find them insightful. I find that when I post more often, I get more frubals, even if the quality of my posts suffers due to more rapid posting.

That said, I really don't care about getting frubals and I always aim for quality in my own posts.

I find the opposite. The less I post, the more I get fruballed. Of course, when I get on a posting spree, I'll admit that fewer of my posts are frubal worthy.

That being said, about 3/4 of my frubabls are for humorous posts. I tend to get much fewer for the posts that I think are high quality, insightful, etc. Then again, I mostly frubal for humor as well (particularly when combined with insight).

HoldemDB9

They are pretty pointless imo. Ive been a member on at least 2 other forums where they had a reputation points system, just like the frubals system here. And on both forums, the system was scrapped. Like people said, they give out frubals when people make them laugh, stuff like that.

Harmless but pointless. How may frubals one has got means nothing at all to me. And it's not just number of posts that is going to determine how many frubals someone gets. For example if someone does not get into many debates and just strolls around the whole forum giving a reply here and a reply there, but in LOADS of threads, then they are going to get a lot more frubals than someone like me who spends A LOT of their time in one on one debates. Another thing is how popular your worldview is around here. I have found that Christians who are ignorant and fairly stupid, have a lot more frubals than non-ignorant, intelligent Muslims. That is obviously because there are more Christians here than Muslims.

Like I said, harmless but completely pointless. If we had a vote Id vote to have the frubal system scrapped.

btw anyone know a mod?, a fruball counting systeem actauly is a pretty good addition, a couple stats about who gave you how many etc

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
HoldemDB9 said:
Like I said, harmless but completely pointless. If we had a vote Id vote to have the frubal system scrapped.
There should be an option to turn off your frubals in you User CP if you decide you're not a fan of them. ;)

As for my own view on frubals, Wandered Off has pretty much summed it up for me. :)

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
I frubal someone when i like the post. regardless if i agree or disagree if its an issue i think needs to be discussed or if i wanna commend someone on a well said remark, sometimes a frubal based on the character of the post, some people here have unique almost poetic way of questioning and answering.

Panda

42?
Premium Member
Who I get them from is important as well.

It makes me feel good when people I highly respect frubal me.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
The count is not as important as the reason a frubal is given. A frubal is just a way to let someone know you appreciate their post, without clogging up the thread with your appreciation.

HoldemDB9

btw anyone know a mod?, a fruball counting systeem actauly is a pretty good addition, a couple stats about who gave you how many etc

if you didnt know already, you can go into your User CP and check who gave you frubals, for which post, etc.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I give them out to posts I agree with very strongly, to thank people, to posts that make me think, to very funny posts, to kind hearted posts. I have always thought it was a nice way to tell someone you like their post when you have nothing to add to the discussion. :)

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I give them for posts that make me laugh, make me smile, make me feel, or make me ponder. In that order.
I pretty much agree with this statement as looking for a laugh is one of the main reasons I visit RF. It's a good thing that we have a variety of differing humor styles on the forum because not everyone thinks Chris Rock is funny, you know? :p

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter

I get a lot of frubals from people who think I'm being funny. Sometimes someone seems to think I've said something smart. I don't care about frubals as much as I did when I was new though. Even if no one ever gives me another frubal again, it doesn't matter. They are just pixels.

Comicaze247

See the previous line
I'd prefer to get frubals by actually earning them, really. Whether by being funny or insightful. As long as it give someone something to think or laugh about. That's all I can really say on the subject.