• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

From the most recent episode of "The New Normal"

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
On topic I swear.
For those unfamiliar with the show, it's about a gay couple who are having a child through a surrogate. The couple are looking to find some sort of spiritual guidance - godparents - for their soon to be baby, and their search leads one of them, a lapse Catholic, into a church and into a confessional. The following exchange ensues. Clearly not on script for a priest, but man, I just really like it. I wanted to toss it out here for discussion as I transcribed the whole thing myself.
The priest starts and each quote is alternating :)

"Well, contrary to popular opinion being gay is not a sin. The Church is not anti-gay."
"Yet any chance he gets, the Pope treats gay marriage like Amanda Bynes treats pedestrians."
Oh yeah, the Pope. Come on, haven't you ever had a loveable old uncle who popped off intolerant comments at a family barbecue?"
"Can't you get fired for saying stuff like that?"
"I don't know if you noticed, but it's pretty hard to get fired around here."

"I was raised Catholic. I love the tradition, I love the ritual. I mean don't get me started on the Stations of the Cross. But, you guys don't accept me. So what am I supposed to do, Father, I mean you tell me. Where do I go?"
"Well, there are plenty of churches specifically geared to your community..."
"Ugh, rainbow flags and tambourines. I don't want to be forced to use a separate water fountain. Why can't the Church just be accepting of all people?"
"We are, we embrace everyone, just like Jesus."
"Oh you know what? You toss Jesus' name around but you don't exactly practice what you preach. Because Jesus wouldn't have judged people by their sexuality because Jesus loved everyone."

"Oh wrong! I never bought that Jesus as a blissed out hippie crap. That man was ****** off! He walked into temples, told them they were doing it all wrong and wrecked the place. He was the Chuck Norris of his day, except his beard wasn't nearly as well groomed."
"Well as true as that might be, Jesus also said turn the other cheek."
"Which didn't mean lay down and take it. In those days, turn the other cheek was an act of defiance. I will see your insult and raise you a 'Suck it! He saw hypocrisy and injustice and said, 'Seriously? You guys are idiots; this has got to change.'"
"So you're saying the Church can change?"
"Well it would. I've seen gay people battle discrimination and march for marraige equality. They demanded the right to fight for their countries but for their souls? Nope they just give up and walk away. Jesus was a fighter, son... how about you?"

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
I guess, if church is the chosen arena of your battleground.

People generally gravitate to 'chruch' for an experience of peace, love and acceptance. Encouragement, revitalization and community.
Life itself is a fight- a struggle. Why get up early on Sunday to fight and struggle some more when you could at least stay home and get some much needed rest? To each his own though. :shrug:

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
It was for this character, and I relate as a former Catholic. It was the social positions of the church that pushed me out first. My beliefs changed later. But i could say why fight for marriage (many do) or why fight for voting rights or equal pay, why not stay home? If it is important to us, we should fight.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I agree with what i understand to be the point here in that if it is important to someone to be part of a specific church, or any other religious organization, either for perception of it as a way to a better spiritual life or anything of the like, or if they placed value on tradition and belonging, they should fight for it if that will make them happy. Or happier.