• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

From Police Force to Police Service. Can it happen in the US?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I never really thought of the connection until I came across this article...

What American Cops Can Learn From the End of South Africa’s Apartheid Policing

If South Africa's infamous apartheid policing can end, can it happen here in the US as well?

Thoughts?
Sharp rise in South Africa murder and sex offences
"The trajectory of crime cannot continue at the current rate and requires a shift in the way we view policing, from being responsive to being more preventive," said Tina Joemat-Pettersson, the committee's chairperson.

Looks like South Africa may need another shift.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
The idea of shifting from a police *force* to a police *service* is an intriguing one, especially with a code of conduct that needs to be signed or the cop is fired.

That said, i think we could also use a 'Truth and Reconciliation' commission to bring out some of what people have had to endure on a day-to-day basis. South Africa has shown one way to proceed with that as well.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
If South Africa's infamous apartheid policing can end, can it happen here in the US as well?

There are many models including Sunnyvale CA's that has police, fire and EMT services in one organization.

Also, Camden NJ showed how to reform policing and cut crime at the same time.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I never really thought of the connection until I came across this article...

What American Cops Can Learn From the End of South Africa’s Apartheid Policing

Thoughts?

I think the concept of looking broadly, and taking aspects of lessons learnt from around the world into account in reforming US policing is sensible and important.
South Africa is such a unique case, and has so many large-scale law and order issues that I'd be wary of making too much of their experience. But...still...aspects could be useful.

Tambourine

Sharp rise in South Africa murder and sex offences
"The trajectory of crime cannot continue at the current rate and requires a shift in the way we view policing, from being responsive to being more preventive," said Tina Joemat-Pettersson, the committee's chairperson.

Looks like South Africa may need another shift.
Just imagine the horrifying crime wave that would sweep the US if American cops stopped being racist...