• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

From Judaic religion, to 'Christianity', what are the factors, why does it matter, etc

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Same faith
Theists per Abrahamic, /Biblical Deity, broadly

/ What is the importance of a designation from 'Judaic' theistic belief, to ''Christianity, /if any

/ Can one use the ''Christian'' label, broadly, or should any deviation from accepted religious teachings of large churches, either necessitate a differentiation in label; or, logically infer a differentiation, hence ideally, a different label?

Last edited:

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Same faith

/ What is the importance of a designation from 'Judaic' theistic belief, to ''Christianity, /if any

/ Can one use the ''Christian'' label, broadly, or should any deviation from accepted religious teachings of large churches, either necessitate a differentiation in label; or, logically infer a differentiation, hence ideally, a different label?

Any other ideas? Propose a discussion or debate theme, within context

This thread is not about statements as to the falsity of either Christianity, or Judaism, so forth.

@fallingblood
The difference is who God made the promise to and the ramifications of that difference. God made a promise to Abraham and his seed. (Which sounds sort of funny like Herbert the tree in Fallout3, or was it Bob?) but anyway. Does it mean God made a promise to Abraham and all of his descendents, or Abraham and one descendent, i.e. Jesus.

Galatians 3:16 The promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. Scripture does not say "and to seeds," meaning many people, but "and to your seed," meaning one person, who is Christ.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
The difference is who God made the promise to and the ramifications of that difference. God made a promise to Abraham and his seed. (Which sounds sort of funny like Herbert the tree in Fallout3, or was it Bob?) but anyway. Does it mean God made a promise to Abraham and all of his descendents, or Abraham and one descendent, i.e. Jesus.

Galatians 3:16 The promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. Scripture does not say "and to seeds," meaning many people, but "and to your seed," meaning one person, who is Christ.

Interesting.
I'm not sure that I agree with that exact interpretation of the verse; however, I agree with the premise, and consequential religious implications.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
You get different answers depending upon what century you are in. Christianity attempts to be Judaism for everybody, the blessing of Abraham. Jews tend to think that Christianity is promising too much too soon and is a failure. Christians tend to write off Judiasm as an anachronism.

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
Flankerl said:
I think you tend to. You are plodding through time envisioning a better world, working towards it. Plod. Tread. Tread. Tread. If I ask how its going you say "Rotten!" Christians say "The future is here now with us. Just join" but are also working toward it. Ask them how its going "Awesome! Couldn't be better!"
Flankerl said:
Not really.
I'm not sure what to do with that hot potato.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Same faith

The importance of the designation is that we are talking about two distinct beliefs. It becomes more important when we look at it from a historical perspective, were there were many different beliefs systems all swirling around each other.

Christianity began as a Judaic belief. It was one more form of Judaism. However, at some point in the second century, it separated and became more of a gentile belief. The designation is important as we are talking about distinct beliefs. If we lump it all together, then the history become muddled. That, and we are led to believe that people believed things that they didn't.

While one can use the Christian label broadly, it does little to help. Catholicism, which can fall under Christianity, is not the same as Mormonism, which also falls under Christianity. If I were to say that Christians accept the Book of Mormon, without using some other qualifier or differentiation, the statement would be largely false.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I'm sorta confused (what's new!) about the "what are the factors" in the OP. Which "factors" are we dealing with? steps along the way? why such a theological split? other? I thought I knew what this was referring to but when I began to read the responses, they weren't dealing with the same stuff I expected to run across.

Akivah

Same faith

Since both Islam and Christianity claim to come from Judaism, they both want to claim that they inherit the same promises that G-d gave directly to the Jewish nation.

Huh?