• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

From atheism to idolatry?

QuestioningMind

I have no interest in you personally so I'll pass this typical provocation of "What about me."

In general though, I think a lot of atheists do in a sense worship nature and science and many even themselves.

But I think it is interesting they write also that an atheist should worship nothing — to be an atheist — because I don't think that's possible for man.

If it's a topic you don't want to discuss then you probably shouldn't have brought it up in your OP. I enjoy nature I respect science and I like myself... but none of those are worthy of my worship.

Reactions: ppp

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I came by this blog post.

Idolatry and Atheism
If God exists and you worship anything in his place, then that thing is a false god and you are an idolater.

In Hinduism they worship "One God". God exists as Consciousness. Everything is Consciousness. So you can worship anything when you are in this awareness. Calling such a devotee/worshipper an idolater, only shows the name-caller is deluded.

Bear Wild

It seems from his writings (although i can find no data to confirm) that Mr Vallicella is of religious belief writing about what he know nothing (atheism) except his own beliefs.
It is such a poor essay. He believes in his god so all others are evil idol worshipers. Instead of being honest and saying he hates atheists so he places this spin from the writing of his "holy" book to justify is prejudice.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
The biggest form of idolatry I see in the world is how the abrahamic faiths revere and worship their books and believe god to be beholden to them.

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist

Idolatry and Atheism

From what I understand, the writer is saying one cannot be an atheist consistently — that one lapses to either idolatry or nihilism.

But I think it is interesting they write also that an atheist should worship nothing — to be an atheist — because I don't think that's possible for man.

Do atheists worship nothing or do they admit to worshipping something, but consider that an unimportant point?

I am not at all surprised at this.
  1. We went to Scotland after much of Europe turned secular. Yet you wouldn't know it from all the ghost stories, the superstition, and the shops selling trinkets. Atheism is a cure for theism, but not for all beliefs.

Idolatry and Atheism

From what I understand, the writer is saying one cannot be an atheist consistently — that one lapses to either idolatry or nihilism.

Do atheists worship nothing or do they admit to worshipping something, but consider that an unimportant point?

Atheists believe that they don't believe in anything. But they are in denial.

Every living human believes in something. Some believe in luck, some in fate, some in a standard religion, some in superstition.

Atheism and idolatry. All the same thing. Materialism. Valuing the physical over the spiritual. Loving things and rejecting people. The spirit is always above the physical, because the physical doesn't matter.

This also applies to the Kaaba. The worship of a square block is a false teaching. Muslims should not be bowing to anything made by human hands. Temples look nice, monuments look nice, but this is all they are. Same for the hijab. These are physical objects, they don't matter.

Bear Wild

Atheism and idolatry. All the same thing. Materialism. Valuing the physical over the spiritual. Loving things and rejecting people. The spirit is always above the physical, because the physical doesn't matter.

Incorrect Idolatry goes with Abrahamic religions and has nothing to to with atheism. Incompatible terms but misused by those who wish to feel superior.

ppp

Atheists believe that they don't believe in anything. But they are in denial.
And yet I never hear atheists claim that. It's almost like y'all cannot deal with the actual positions of atheists, so you have to make one up that is within your reach.

Valuing the physical over the spiritual. Loving things and rejecting people.

Since people are physical, that makes no sense.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Idolatry and Atheism

Problematic parts from the blog.

For idolatry entails worshipping something unworthy of worship, and if God does not exist, then nothing is worthy of worship.
Why would nothing be worthy of worship if God does not exist? Who says so? By what justification? Who says that only gods can be worshipped? A counter example is easy to find. If someone worships platonic ideals like Truth, Good, Beauty etc. what is unjustified about that?

The atheist will be sorely tempted to fall into idolatry, making a god of nature, for example, as some environmentalists do, or of science, or of the enlightenment project, or of the 'crusade' against Christianity or religion generally.
This again is just b.s. One may love something and not worship it. Nature may be loved like a morher. Science is not loved, it's practiced.. like law or jogging. One may love doing science like one may love to exercise or to cook. None of this entails worship. Nobody prays to science or nature. Nobody believes nature or science is some omnipotent presence with which one has to relate with. One does not talk to nature or science in ones head. The charge is nonsensical.

The atheist must find meaning in a world in which nothing is absolute, nothing holy, nothing worthy of total commitment. Nice work if you can get it.
One can commit ones life to collecting rare stamps without believing that stamps are worthy of worship. An sports person can do the same in his playing skills without believing that football is God. One can, very easily personally commit to a cause or vocation without at the same time believing that the object being committed to has God like qualities. It's easy.

The arrlticle is refuted.... and I am not even an atheist.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
And yet I never hear atheists claim that. It's almost like y'all cannot deal with the actual positions of atheists, so you have to make one up that is within your reach.

We can't deal with it, honestly, and this sort of oddity isn't unique to theological aspects of a worldview. It happens for all sorts of things to everybody and is pretty much inevitable, so there's no shame in it.

When something falls vastly outside our particular map of the territory, it's incomprehensible and we can't deal with it. Yet we have to deal with it somehow. We have to find some way to either dismiss it or make it fit on our map of the territory. There are lots of ways people do this, which often includes interpreting other's stories from our own maps to make sense of them on our terms. We all do this, all the time. Often we do it because we are trying to make peace with each other. Sometimes we do it for less kind reasons, though. In all cases, it's a reflection of important cultural differences that create human diversity that, I think, is pretty amazing. Speaking of diversity...

Nobody prays to science or nature.

Hello from nobody! Both of these are actually kind of common to some degree or another in contemporary Paganisms and historical Paganisms both (well, maybe not so much sciences, but other abstract principles like love, luck, etc.). That said, I really doubt the author of that blog has a darned clue about Paganisms and Polytheisms.

ppp

We can't deal with it, honestly, and this sort of oddity isn't unique to theological aspects of a worldview. It happens for all sorts of things to everybody and is pretty much inevitable, so there's no shame in it.
You think that just because it happens to everybody that there is no shame in it?
Everyone unfairly hurts the feelings of someone they love in some significant way at some point in their relationship. And yet there is still shame in doing it.

'Everyone else does it' is not an excuse.

When something falls vastly outside our particular map of the territory, it's incomprehensible and we can't deal with it. Yet we have to deal with it somehow. We have to find some way to either dismiss it or make it fit on our map of the territory. There are lots of ways people do this, which often includes interpreting other's stories from our own maps to make sense of them on our terms.
Again, this is merely self-justification for doing wrong. Excuses. Feeling compelled to lie about someone else to make oneself feel better is an acknowledgment that at least some aspect of your position is profoundly false.

Often we do it because we are trying to make peace with each other. Sometimes we do it for less kind reasons, though. In all cases, it's a reflection of important cultural differences that create human diversity that, I think, is pretty amazing. Speaking of diversity...
And now you are trying to justify immoral behavior behind culture. Do better.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

well, I can assure you that it is possible for woman.

Ciao

- viole

night912

No. What the writer is saying is that one can be an atheist consistently, the writer just doesn't know how.

Piculet

Worship doesn't even apply to me or others atheists I know.
What does "worship" entail to you?

For your enjoyment....
1aa0828fd7a01ac1cba21110.L.jpg
Does this represent all atheists or just you? It makes sense. This is the impression I have of many atheists.

Piculet

none of which, I am sure, God needs at all.
as am I, because Allah says in the Holy Qur'an that He is free of all needs. 57:24
"Such persons as are covetous and commend covetousness to men. And if any turn back (from Allah's Way), verily Allah is Free of all Needs, Worthy of all Praise."
But I have an objective — Jannah. I take care of my family, not because it is an objective by itself, but because I hope it helps me to get to Jannah.

What is your objective?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Idolatry and Atheism

I'm an atheist, no worship here.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.

Idolatry and Atheism

It's amazing sometimes how you read something and you think "I have no idea how your mind works to have even led you to consider that conclusion".

I guess the author either has a totally different view of what "worship" means than I do, or it is so central to their own life that they can't imagine a life without it.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
In general though, I think a lot of atheists do in a sense worship nature and science and many even themselves.

Going to provide some evidence for this 'lot'? I don't, and have never felt, a need to worship anything. I do appreciate many things, such as being elements of our human nature, what we have achieved as a species, or in all other life, or in the unknowable nature of existence, but worship never comes to mind. I doubt that is so much different than for many who do have religious beliefs either. They just appear to have one more belief that I lack.