1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured From atheism to idolatry?

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by Piculet, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Piculet

Piculet Active Member

Ratings:
    +189
    Religion:
    Islam
    I came by this blog post.

Idolatry and Atheism

From what I understand, the writer is saying one cannot be an atheist consistently — that one lapses to either idolatry or nihilism.

But I think it is interesting they write also that an atheist should worship nothing — to be an atheist — because I don't think that's possible for man.

Do atheists worship nothing or do they admit to worshipping something, but consider that an unimportant point?

2. Altfish

Altfish Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +9,032
    Religion:
    Humanist
    I'm an atheist, I worship nothing.
    Why would I? Why do I need to worship?

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. Left Coast

Left Coast Happy New Year!
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,314
    Religion:
    Buddhish
    What does "worship" mean, to you?

• Like Like x 2
  4. QuestioningMind

QuestioningMind Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,148
    Religion:
    atheist
    I am an atheist. What is it that you imagine that I worship?

5. Orbit

Orbit I'm a planet

Ratings:
    +1,478
    Religion:
    Dinner
    Atheists have no need to worship anything.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. icehorse

icehorse Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,825
    Religion:
    spiritual anti-theist : )
    I think that the definition of "worship" is critical here. By some definitions, "worship" strongly implies worshipping a diety. But by other definitions it could be appreciating something.

I happen to be an atheist. I hold a STRONG appreciation and wonder for the planet, nature, the universe, my sentience*, and so on.

(*I know that my claim of sentience is shaky ;) )

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Piculet

Piculet Active Member

Ratings:
    +189
    Religion:
    Islam
    Then are you a nihilist?
    I think, in the context the question is, what does the writer mean by it. They don't say, but they do say:
    He also quotes a book "The Moral Philosopher and the Moral
    Life":
    I hope that helps. If I put my own definition, it would kind of ruin the question as my premise is the blog post.

8. Piculet

Piculet Active Member

Ratings:
    +189
    Religion:
    Islam
    I would like to know whether you worship anything and if you do not, what is your opinion about the blog post or the point I made in the OP (if you don't want to read the blog post)?
    Are they nihilists? What do you think about what the writer implies about an atheist who worships nothing?

9. icehorse

icehorse Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,825
    Religion:
    spiritual anti-theist : )
    I read the first paragraphs of the blog post. It is filled with logical fallacies.

10. Secret Chief

Secret Chief Meghalayan Ape

Ratings:
    +4,068
    Religion:
    Buddhism

11. Altfish

Altfish Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +9,032
    Religion:
    Humanist
    How do you work that out?
    Worship is specific and involves adoration.

I like/love many things ... sports teams, music bands, books, my family, etc. ... but I do not worship any of them

• Like Like x 2
  12. wandering peacefully

wandering peacefully Which way to the woods?
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +838
    Atheists don't worship in the sense you understand worship. Holding up your choice of gods as something real to be admired and praised. We certainly can have great appreciation for things such as nature and our families, etc. Is that what you mean?

• Like Like x 1
  13. epronovost

epronovost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,000
    Religion:
    Atheist/non-religious
    I don't think think I worship anything, at least not to the extand or in a way where the usage of the term worship could be comparable.

14. Unveiled Artist

Unveiled Artist Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +10,127
    Religion:
    Process of Spiritual Healing
    Worship or honoring something or someone as more important than self through prayer, ritual, so have you can be something atheists can do. Gods in athiesm definition are about deities and entities that don't exist rather than the act and thing or person of ones worship.

15. Tambourine

Tambourine Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,309
    Religion:
    Some Nonsense
    Nope, sorry.

16. 1213

1213 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +499
    Religion:
    Disciple of Jesus
    I think everyone has somethings as god and that can be seen from what they serve with their words and actions, or what rules them ultimately. It seems to me that for many, fear is their god
    and fear is leading world towards fascism and totalitarism. And it is sad. I think it would be better, if love would be God for all.

He who doesn't love doesn't know God, for God is love.
    1 John 4:8

17. Sunstone

Sunstone De Diablo Del Fora
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +36,859
    Religion:
    Non-Theistic Mysticism
    I'm an atheist on at least two days of the week, and I worship the ground upon which @ChristineM treads.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Windwalker

Windwalker Integralist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,539
    Religion:
    Love, Light, and Life
    I'll take a stab directly to the blog quotes you posted:

The issues I see here is he is assuming that these atheists he is imaging here, are ex-believers, doing what believers do, which is worship external authorities to tell them how to think about things, rather than dialoguing and using rationality to make informed decisions about complex matters. Yes, there are examples of atheists doing this, replacing God with science. But you'll generally find they are ex-religionists, and as they say, "You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy". It's a habit they bring with them, which at some point, hopefully they outgrow.

I don't think atheism in itself creates the need to replace religion in these regards; worship, absolutist thought, veneration of holy relics, etc. Not if they didn't grow up in a religious environment to begin with.

As does everyone, even those in religion have to find meaning in life. But to say that they see nothing is worthy of total commitment or veneration, is absurdly inaccurate. Upon what basis does this author stake that claim? Atheists can and do commit themselves totally to things worthy of that in life, and will revere as "sacred" many things, such as family, community, the planet, etc.

Yes. Just because he cannot imagine how from his perspective, does not change the reality that they do. In fact, most will claim it gives life more meaning, than when they were underneath the religious system of dogmatic proclamations of what is true and good. Humans can figure that out quite well on their own.

I hope that begins to address some of these questions.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. Evangelicalhumanist

Evangelicalhumanist "Truth" isn't a thing...
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8,663
    Religion:
    None, a humanist who doesn't even worship humans
    There are many meanings for nihilism, but none of them is exclusively related to non-worship.

Atheists, like most people, value many things, appreciate many things. But valuing and appreciating are not equivalent to worshipping. Most atheists that I know of have quite strong moral sensibilities, but they base those on their respect for others, not on fear of some deity.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Wild Fox

Wild Fox Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,054
    Religion:
    nature
    I have reverence for nature. That which provides the oxygen I breath and the food and water I need to live. That is not idolatry, that is respect.

• Like Like x 3