• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

From an Abrahamic perspective, Why is God emotional?

savethedreams

Emotions are biochemicals, we humans have them, Why does God?

Where did emotions originate, especially anger? Was God ever angry before all of creation? Was is the common belief amongst Christians, Muslims, Jews, Bahi?

I read the bible, and quran and I immediately see a person filled with emotions ? Have emotions always existed? Why would an all powerful person make itself have these feelings as if they have no control?

I don't understand the humanizing, and common belief behind it?

meghanwaterlillies

r

Where did emotions originate, especially anger? Was God ever angry before all of creation? Was is the common belief amongst Christians, Muslims, Jews, Bahi?

I read the bible, and quran and I immediately see a person filled with emotions ? Have emotions always existed? Why would an all powerful person make itself have these feelings as if they have no control?

Does love have emotion is it the very essence of God? (though think He can have the wisest control of emotions not using them but knowing and using them) If broken or shaken even by ourselves or towards one maybe even at God does it imbalance things, is there a justifiable emotion?
Righteous Anger
Jesus Wept (truth)
Compassion
Jealousy
Pleased
etc..
"Your Emotions Are a Gauge, Not a Guide"... May God be there.
The source of light and love, truth may definitely include emotion.
And second: And since you're talking about God measure/gauge probably-(I know) is perfect, but for you.(towards you) because powerful enough probably-(I know) to be too much..May God be there.
Faith also means a lot in that between God and Abraham a good example, human and God. And if you understand what I mean: some people think they are God. That's why I say may God be there.

Last edited:

Aiviu

Sure, on drugs biochemicals create emotions. But important is what triggers the biochemical reaction w/o using stuff like drugs?

Love has the most opened heart while anger stands for the opposite (closed heart). So what it could really means if God is angry? ... Its not about the emotion, its what someone explains with the emotion to the other.

Tumah

Veteran Member

Of course G-d doesn't have emotions. Emotive words used in Tanach in relation to G-d are just our perception of His actions. When we see someone in Tanach sin and is penalized, we say that G-d was angry because that's the emotion that precedes an act of retribution. Not because G-d feels it, but because we need a label for the stage preceding the manifestation of the punishment. And the same for all of them.

meghanwaterlillies

Of course G-d doesn't have emotions. Emotive words used in Tanach in relation to G-d are just our perception of His actions. When we see someone in Tanach sin and is penalized, we say that G-d was angry because that's the emotion that precedes an act of retribution. Not because G-d feels it, but because we need a label for the stage preceding the manifestation of the punishment. And the same for all of them.
Are you talking about a 1st person narrative when speaking or when it is listed that He spoke in first person? Even though very few studies on it.

meghanwaterlillies

I understand 0% of what you're saying here..
Your saying that God doesn't feel it's only in regards to error. You get anger as the equal.
Your saying that God doesn't feel it's only in our praise. You get joy as an equal. Not because He feels anything.
But you also say that you believe what is written. So when God is angry or said that, he's not actually angry.
When God is pleased He's not actually, pleased.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Your saying that God doesn't feel it's only in regards to error. You get anger as the equal.
Your saying that God doesn't feel it's only in our praise. You get joy as an equal. Not because He feels anything.
At least one of us doesn't understanding something here. Definitely me and I'm not sure about you. I didn't say anything about error or equal and I have no idea what you're talking about.

But you also say that you believe what is written. So when God is angry or said that, he's not actually angry.
When God is pleased He's not actually, pleased.
There's no need for a "but". When we apply a word to different things, it has a similar but slightly different meaning. An ant's leg and a human leg isn't the same even though we use the same word for it. That's basically the idea here.

meghanwaterlillies

At least one of us doesn't understanding something here. Definitely me and I'm not sure about you. I didn't say anything about error or equal and I have no idea what you're talking about.

There's no need for a "but". When we apply a word to different things, it has a similar but slightly different meaning. An ant's leg and a human leg isn't the same even though we use the same word for it. That's basically the idea here.
"When we see someone in Tanach sin and is penalized, we say that G-d was angry because that's the emotion that precedes an act of retribution. Not because G-d feels it, but because we need a label for the stage preceding the manifestation of the punishment. And the same for all of them."
So I'm asking was God angry or not?

Tumah

Veteran Member
"When we see someone in Tanach sin and is penalized, we say that G-d was angry because that's the emotion that precedes an act of retribution. Not because G-d feels it, but because we need a label for the stage preceding the manifestation of the punishment. And the same for all of them."
So I'm asking was God angry or not?
G-d Himself is not angry. G-d is unchanging so He can't become angry or sad or happy. He just is.
The system G-d created through which we can relate to Him gives us the perception that G-d is expressing anger (or some other thing). Its this system that these types of verses are referring to. Since we can only relate to G-d through what we can perceive, the Tanach uses terminology that conforms to our perception, with this understanding in mind.

InvestigateTruth

These emotions that are seen in the Scriptures, such as Anger of God, is symbolic. It is only a mode of addressing. Because that is how, mankind knows if they are doing wrong things. By expressing the anger of God in scriptures, the Message is, a particular people are doing wrong things. God speaks according to the level of understanding of people of the time.
Also, God chastises Mankind, not because He is angry, but as to make them awake. Through suffering, people become more pure. This punishment is expressed as anger of God, as a response from the Heavenly Educator of Mankind. So, in Reality, from a Bahai View, God is not like human, to have such emotions.

meghanwaterlillies

If we do this that God is a cold hunk of nothing and his words are pointed at us but meaning nothing for Him.
There is so much that you could morph about Him
God created the heavens and the Earth. (throw out?)
It could even go into the category like here...
If someone kills your daughter, accident or on purpose.
Depending on the circumstance ( I don't like using circumstances)
Are you stating that the feeling is retribution (whether pain or anger) based on something you did from a distant God who feels nothing.
Even by his words of compassion.
If something goes well/by will that day it's not because God had anything to do with it or your life. You on your merit did something so you have joy and God feels nothing...
LGod says that he is pleased,
You know how dehumanization begins don't you?
G-d Himself is not angry. G-d is unchanging so He can't become angry or sad or happy. He just is.
The system G-d created through which we can relate to Him gives us the perception that G-d is expressing anger (or some other thing). Its this system that these types of verses are referring to. Since we can only relate to G-d through what we can perceive, the Tanach uses terminology that conforms to our perception, with this understanding in mind.

Last edited:

meghanwaterlillies

These emotions that are seen in the Scriptures, such as Anger of God, is symbolic. It is only a mode of addressing. Because that is how, mankind knows if they are doing wrong things. By expressing the anger of God in scriptures, the Message is, a particular people are doing wrong things. God speaks according to the level of understanding of people of the time.
Also, God chastises Mankind, not because He is angry, but as to make them awake. Through suffering, people become more pure. This punishment is expressed as anger of God, as a response from the Heavenly Educator of Mankind. So, in Reality, from a Bahai View, God is not like human, to have such emotions.
Do you guys no what a tyrant is????????