• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

From Abnormal to Atypical

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
This could just as easily have been posted in the Journal Forum, but ...

I go to PT three times a week due to a badly degraded rotator cuff. On any given day, one of three people will work with me, each with their own approach and all very good.

A lot of chit-chat occurs in all of these sessions.

The youngest person I interact with is a female PTA in her late twenties or early thirties. I chat about what I and my wife have been doing or plan to do. She chats about what she and her wife have been doing or plan to do. Nothing out of the ordinary ...

... nothing except the fact that here is a young female PTA casually chatting with a male, 77 year old near stranger as if her same-sex marriage was perfectly normal -- because it is.

It's nice to have such conversations, and the PT is pretty good as well.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Kinda like me talking to my dad about wearing men's clothing even giving me some and him causally calling me his child instead of his daughter like me being nonbinary is perfectly normal.

Its nice the change of times.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

I go to PT three times a week due to a badly degraded rotator cuff. On any given day, one of three people will work with me, each with their own approach and all very good.

The youngest person I interact with is a female PTA in her late twenties or early thirties. I chat about what I and my wife have been doing or plan to do. She chats about what she and her wife have been doing or plan to do. Nothing out of the ordinary ...

... nothing except the fact that here is a young female PTA casually chatting with a male, 77 year old near stranger as if her same-sex marriage was perfectly normal -- because it is.

I was having a conversation with my eldest this morning about how nice it is that people are more commonly treated like people these days, rather than having to fit into a box to be treated with respect.
She's 14, and somewhat unsure what box she fits in at the moment (like most 14 year olds in some ways).

She knows she's loved regardless, and she knows her friends are always welcome and our home is a safe space for anyone who treats her (and us) with respect, regardless of their religion, race or sexuality. Unless they're Laker fans.

Awww, shucks. Even Lakers fans.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I was having a conversation with my eldest this morning about how nice it is that people are more commonly treated like people these days, rather than having to fit into a box to be treated with respect.
She's 14, and somewhat unsure what box she fits in at the moment (like most 14 year olds in some ways).

She knows she's loved regardless, and she knows her friends are always welcome and our home is a safe space for anyone who treats her (and us) with respect, regardless of their religion, race or sexuality. Unless they're Laker fans.

Awww, shucks. Even Lakers fans.

How popular is the NBA in Australia? Does Australia have its own basketball leagues? I realize most U.S. sports aren't very popular abroad.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

You notice it because you are 77, and for most of your life, such a thing was unthinkable. At 74, I should be the same, except I got involved early on in the fight for our rights.

And she, in her early thirties, doesn't notice it because our fight of years before was successful.

But by the way, I should mention -- my age has left me unable to comfortably refer to my love, my life partner, my other half, my soul, as my "husband." I didn't grow up with that idea in my head, and it will never feel comfortable for me to say so.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You notice it because you are 77, and for most of your life, such a thing was unthinkable. At 74, I should be the same, except I got involved early on in the fight for our rights.

And she, in her early thirties, doesn't notice it because our fight of years before was successful.

But by the way, I should mention -- my age has left me unable to comfortably refer to my love, my life partner, my other half, my soul, as my "husband." I didn't grow up with that idea in my head, and it will never feel comfortable for me to say so.
It's amazing how rapidly things have changed. I'm still working towards homosexuality and gay marriage being the norm for most my life. It was basically still an accusation, much like atheist has been used, not even 20 years ago. But now you're either very insecure or contributing to Christianity's decline.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
It's amazing how rapidly things have changed. I'm still working towards homosexuality and gay marriage being the norm for most my life. It was basically still an accusation, much like atheist has been used, not even 20 years ago. But now you're either very insecure or contributing to Christianity's decline.
I think I succeed at much of this sort of thing because I really am comfortable examining my own thoughts, my own prejudices. I can accept when I'm wrong, once I've seen the evidence.

Being secure really is a matter of just knowing that you are living the life that is authentically yours. How religions think about it doesn't matter in the slightest. What do they know -- and how would they know it? Scripture? Well, that's just words, and guess who wrote those words!

Believe in yourself -- know you are authentic, real, valuable, worthwhile, and right to be just who you are. And everyone who denies your right to be who you are is completely and utterly wrong for a very simple reason -- that they wouldn't accept being told that they didn't have the right to be who they are.

And of course, they'll never figure that out.

Jeremiah Ames

It’s very nice to have such conversations.
I envision a world where people are free to just be themselves, and get left alone to do so.
I have a niece with a wife and two little babies. They bought a new home last year and had to sell it a few months later, because they were unaware that it was a backwards community still trying desperately to live in the dark ages.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I prefer to think that I notice it because I'm committed to such and awareness. FWIW, my introduction to the women's movement and the gay and lesbian rights movement came in the mid-60s.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
It’s very nice to have such conversations.
I envision a world where people are free to just be themselves, and get left alone to do so.
I have a niece with a wife and two little babies. They bought a new home last year and had to sell it a few months later, because they were unaware that it was a backwards community still trying desperately to live in the dark ages.
Sorry to hear that. May I ask where this was specifically?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I'm in my late 70s too and have previously commented as to how life is so much better these days because people are more tolerant and less judging of others (and in some countries) - in general - although one misdemeanor can still get you 'cancelled', and we all know that many still despise any societies where such happens and often pronouncing them as being 'decadent'. This often coming from a religious belief or culture where such is dominant - and hence my distaste for some of these - given I believe they are the ones who hold decadent and/or outdated beliefs. :oops:

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member

Is your marriage same sex too?