• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Frightened of Jesus

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Should we fear Jesus?

I have found something on YouTube that has made me frightened of him:

Is Jesus scary?

Or is he misrepresented in this video?

I used to want to meet him, but not anymore!

I am quite terrified

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I can't relate to the God of Fear like those who see him like that do. I grew up in an unconditionally loving and accepting home, so I don't see God as a God of conditional love, and fear of being rejected and punished abusively like those who grew up in homes with that type of parent figure over them.

How people read the Bible and how they see God, I've found typically reflects how they grew up. Unconditional love, is outside their experience and a foreign concept. Love must be earned, and so God is seen through the eyes of constant fear of disapproval and rejection. The God of Fear, is really like living in hell. Fear is the opposite of Love.

Psalm23

Should we fear Jesus?

Is Jesus scary?

I am quite terrified

I believe it does misrepresent Jesus. On the one hand it's saying it's not by works we are saved but then the video suggests works are needed. It's by grace through faith in Christ Jesus that we are saved(see Ephesians 2:8-9). Reading through Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, Jesus was welcoming to people and healed many who needed healing. John 6:37 is a verse I have often turned to in my own anxieties. Some other verses that may be of help:

Romans 10:9
John 1:12-13
Ephesians 1:13-14
Titus 3:5
Romans 8:38-39
Romans 3:21-26

Psalm23

One YouTube pastor I highly recommend if you are interested is Mike Winger. I believe he is a very biblically sound teacher. He covers a bunch of topics and I have been encouraged listening to him.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
He's not scary when you know him.
I understand the struggle.
How can God cast people away and yet die for everyone?
But we all get our chance to accept him.
And I believe that even the casting away if giving people what they wanted.
No one is forced to spend eternity with Jesus.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Should we fear Jesus?

Is Jesus scary?

I am quite terrified
Not at all.

If you stick with the word of God, you will be in perfect peace.

PHILLIPS - Jude vs 24
Now to him who is able to keep you from falling and to present you before his glory without fault and with unspeakable joy, to the only God, our saviour, be glory and majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before time was, now, and in all ages to come, amen. JUDE

Jesus is your lawyer and advocate. He sticks closer to you than a brother. He is joyous to take before the Father and say to Him, "EDDI is the love of my life. She is part of me! I've washed away all her sins and we have become one! Hey Dad, have I presented her to you yet? I am so joyous to have her with me!"

Or words like unto these :)

:hugehug:

Brian2

Veteran Member
Should we fear Jesus?

Is Jesus scary?

I am quite terrified

Scary video but the judgement is true.
Having fear of God is a good thing, but is only part of the story and not to be focused on to the exclusion of everything else. 'Fear of God is the beginning of wisdom.
Love takes away the fear.
A criminal is scared of the police.
It is good to do what is right and have an assurance of salvation and it is good to have an honest relationship with God, being able to tell Him how we feel but also allowing Him to teach us and not become arrogant towards God.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Should we fear Jesus?

Is Jesus scary?

Definitely misrepresentation of Jesus
Too sick for words (at 00:00:23)

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
Jesus is your lawyer and advocate. He sticks closer to you than a brother. He is joyous to take before the Father and say to Him, "EDDI is the love of my life. She is part of me! I've washed away all her sins and we have become one! Hey Dad, have I presented her to you yet? I am so joyous to have her with me!"

Or words like unto these :)
@Eddi is not a woman.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
@Eddi is not a woman.
That's correct

Away from the internet I'm called Ed

Short for Edward

Which means "prosperous protector" in Old English ("ward" as in "warden")

I use Eddi on RF because that is what everyone insisted on calling me at university - using that exact spelling

Psalm23

If Jesus was like that, no one would be in heaven. We have all done bad things and gossip is pretty common thing, it doesn't make a person not a Christian. There isn't a bait and switch thing where you come to Jesus as you are then you have to prove yourself. That is a form of earning love from God but God's love is given freely. Matthew 11:28-30 is a beautiful picture of Jesus tenderness.

The same God who created the lion is the same God who created the flowers and the ladybugs. The same God who is immensely glorious and powerful is the same God who in Scripture is compared to a mom with a nursing child.
(See Isaiah 49:15)

@Eddi , what do you fear in particular with Jesus? Why does this video bring out that fear?
For myself , I have dealt with the fear of being rejected of Jesus in the end. I read some Scripture verses through a lenses of that fear. What has helped me is much of Scripture reading and also seeing Christ character in the gospels ( Matthew, Mark, Luke, John). The book of Psalms and Paul's writing have lifted me up as well as Christian music that focused on the love of God and other music as well. When I was a child, I said something to myself in the mirror that hurt . I believe it amplified religious fear. This year I thought back to that moment and imagined what Jesus may have done and said and doing this felt like healing.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
what do you fear in particular with Jesus
That he has a harsh booming voice and holds people to unreasonable and non-human standards. Also, the fact that he can read my mind is frightening.

If Jesus was like that, no one would be in heaven
Unless only the super devout get in?

It's not so much that I want to go to Heaven

It is more that I want to avoid Hell

And I feel pretty Hell-bound :(

Psalm23

That he has a harsh booming voice and holds people to unreasonable and non-human standards. Also, the fact that he can read my mind is frightening.

Unless only the super devout get in?

It's not so much that I want to go to Heaven

It is more that I want to avoid Hell

And I feel pretty Hell-bound :(

I believe Jesus is understanding and doesn't hold people to impossible standards. Before Peter had denied Jesus 3 times , Jesus had prayed for Peter( see Luke 22:32). Jesus knew that Peter would deny him and he continued to love Peter.

I would consider talking with a pastor about these fears as well as turning to the Scriptures. The Bible Broadcasting Network ( BBN) also has a chat on their website. I have talked with them before on the chat.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
Should we fear Jesus?

Is Jesus scary?

I am quite terrified

At one time, and sometimes still, I viewed him as a "to be feared". I'm sure there's a valid reason for that fear. After 30 years, the fear is mostly gone and I stand on personal relationship with how I view the order, from Melchizedek to present-day believers. Individual truth, individual relationship as unique individuals as we are in process of developmental growth in terms of mind and spirit-how we think and the emotions we lean and act on.

No matter how we might view the "relationship", as members of our societies and cultures on earth, there is work to be done, whether for better or worse. The work itself far reaching no matter the occupation. The future? I fear next life and white throne judgment far less than I fear the state our world appears to be in.