• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Friends with the opposite sex while married.

turk179

I smell something....
In a general discussion thread about how to approach a female co-worker for honest friendship, several members made the statement that the gentleman in question should leave his co-worker alone. Several reasons were given. One reason was because it might jeapordise his marriage. Another reason was because he might come across as creepy because he is married. Because the previously mentioned thread is in the discussion forum, lets debate this here.

Is there anything wrong with being friends with the opposite sex while married or in a long term serious relationship?

Nanda

Polyanna
Nope. My best friend is a man, and my husband's best friend is a woman, and it's really not an issue.

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
Well, I'll be the lone stick-in-the-mud here. I would not risk it. (Guess I just set myself up for a beating . . . .)

turk179

I smell something....
Well, I'll be the lone stick-in-the-mud here. I would not risk it. (Guess I just set myself up for a beating . . . .)
I doubt you will be the only stick in the mud on this thread but I do have to ask. If there is complete trust in a relationship, wouldn't any potental risk be elliminated?

Bishka

Veteran Member

How is being friends with a male going to do that to you?

So, should we eliminate all possible risks in our lives because they "might" happen?

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
If it were then I'd be in big trouble since most of my friends are guys. I just tend to get along better with them. Lucky for me I have a man who is not the jealous type. Or rather I should say lucky for him because if he were the jealous type and it came down to a choice I would side with my friends. This isn't because I think friends are more valuable than him but because I consider jealousy akin to mistrust and I don't think you can have a good strong relationship with someone who doesn't trust you. If having friends who are guys when I have a relationship with a guy is a problem then I think that's the fault of the guy I'm in a relationship with and not any fault of my own.

kadzbiz

Is there anything wrong with being friends with the opposite sex while married or in a long term serious relationship?

Absolutely not. If you're truly committed to your relationship, you won't entertain any ideas of infidelity. You can have healthy platonic relationships with as many people as you want without it causing a problem. If the other party of the platonic relationship suddenly says or does something non-platonic, then this can be addresses and resolved or just disolve the relationship if it can't be sorted.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Absolutely not. If you're truly committed to your relationship, you won't entertain any ideas of infidelity. You can have healthy platonic relationships with as many people as you want without it causing a problem. If the other party of the platonic relationship suddenly says or does something non-platonic, then this can be addresses and resolved or just disolve the relationship if it can't be sorted.

Oh dear,

We all know what sorts of relationships those Greeks had.... :cover:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Of course not. One can be friends with members of the opposite sex, I have many- I get along better with men than women a lot of the time. My husband does not get jealous, either.

Somkid

No, I should think not. My wifes law partners are both married men and they have been friends with my wife since university.