• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Friendly Discussion

Dick Nefarious

Hello. Just looking for some friendly discussion on somethings I've been thinking about. I was raised in a fundamentalist christian family so I'm most familiar with that thought. But in reading and thinking about the stories in the christian bible I've come to think the old testament god is opposed to human knowledge and civilization in general. According to the story in Genesis the snake encourages the humans to eat the tress of knowledge while god opposes. The descendants of Cain seem to be responsible for cities, music and arts. Thoughts?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Hello. Just looking for some friendly discussion on somethings I've been thinking about. I was raised in a fundamentalist christian family so I'm most familiar with that thought. But in reading and thinking about the stories in the christian bible I've come to think the old testament god is opposed to human knowledge and civilization in general. According to the story in Genesis the snake encourages the humans to eat the tress of knowledge while god opposes. The descendants of Cain seem to be responsible for cities, music and arts. Thoughts?

I suspect any original meaning behind the OT stories was lost long before the Hebrews decided to adopt them as a basis for their religion.

There will be many, many folks claiming otherwise. All claiming to know the truth behind them but I suspect you will find as many inconsistencies for these "truths" as there as folks willing to explain them to you.

If you want to accept any truth offered which you are comfortable with, that's fine but don't look too deeply as you will inevitably find reasons to question them.

Might as well create your own meanings for them as they will likely be as good as anyone else's or better yet, leave them alone. Start with a blank slate and find out for yourself what's true for you.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
welcome1.png

As for your added thoughts and questions, - turn them into your first thread by placing them in General religious debates.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

I believe in God, and I am a Baha'i. I consider the ancient scripture of all religions to be the view of Revelation and God to a certain extent through the human perspective of the culture and time of the Revelation. Ancient scripture does contain prayer, Spiritual laws for the age, spiritual principles to live by. The scriptures of the different religions represent the progressive Revelation of humanities spiritual education.

I believe the expectation of ancient scripture being literal history is unreasonable and illogical. The radical conflict with science is unacceptable.

You will find more different beliefs on this site than there are colors in the rainbow spectrum.

Last edited:

DavidFirth

God is not opposed to human knowledge and civilization in general. I'm not sure why you would think that.

Welcome to RF!

Deidre

The story never made sense to me even as a Christian, mainly because it presumes that a ''perfect world'' without sin, would mean humans would have to ignorant and not be able to think for themselves? (that's what it was before the apple condundrum?) As if free will and knowledge is somehow ''sinful.''

Welcome to RF! :sunflower:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Greetings!
Friendly discussion, eh?
That means you must agree with everyone here.
(Note the easiest thing to accomplish.)

But even if things get unfriendly, you can always go to the RF cafeteria for free.....
th

Everyone loves bacon & eggs....even those who claim they don't.