• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Friedrich Nietzsches succinct criticisms of Christianity

DanielR

Depends. Quote him. I have taken Intro to Philosophy before, but I haven't studied Nietzsche in depth.

to me his philosophy tries to replace all the "Hinterweltler" religions, religions who believe in a transcendental realm. For him there are no other worlds or realities this reality is it and it is eternal (like in his eternal recurrence). Somehow it's like Christianity but reversed. I think Heidegger was critisizing him for this. He didn't overcome metaphysics.

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
to me his philosophy tries to replace all the "Hinterweltler" religions, religions who believe in a transcendental realm. For him there are no other worlds or realities this reality is it and it is eternal (like in his eternal recurrence). Somehow it's like Christianity but reversed. I think Heidegger was critisizing him for this. He didn't overcome metaphysics.
Hmmm. I don't agree with any of that, but I do like some snippets of his arguments.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
I think he's made it apparent Nietzsche isn't his master.

That statement only shows your ignorance of Nietzsche. Most of his writings were complete before he fell ill, and it most likely was not syphilis. And many scholars tend to not include his last few books in his "core anthology" because they were written while he was ill, and are noticeably different (especially in quality) from his pre-illness books.

Sometimes it's more about safety than following the law. Plenty of times I'll drive through stop signs and red lights. But most of the time I won't, not because of the law, but because pulling out in front of oncoming traffic can be very destructive and possibly lethal.

So that is the message of Christ. If you are a slave to Christ you are free indeed. You would have stopped at the red light anyway...

I think you missed the point on Neitzche. What was he doing to acquire syphilis? How is that not perfectly fitting to show he was probably a very immoral man who did not like Christian morals and would not submit to the authority of Christ.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
and you all agree with his philosophy??
Have any of us said we agree with it all? Sure, we agree to different degrees (my quote is taken from Thus Spoke Zarathustra), but not entirely. He tended to ***** a lot and ramble and go off on tangents at times, and he did have a lot of negative baggage attached. But, undeniably, he has intensely shining moments of brilliance and perspective and forces you to really think about your position in life. It's why he sometimes puts Christians on edge, because he has their mind dance with the idea that maybe they've given it all up for no other reason that it's what they were told to do.

Kelly of the Phoenix

What other choice to you have but to look within to spiritual things rather than physical pleasures when the world is literally raping you, splitting open your pregnant women, and killing your male children in the name of conquest? God is all you have in that moment.
To be fair, the Romans didn't invent it, and that is how the Hebrews "settled" Canaan anyway.

What was he doing to acquire syphilis? How is that not perfectly fitting to show he was probably a very immoral man who did not like Christian morals and would not submit to the authority of Christ.
Do you know how germs work?
edit: I'm reminded of a scene where people ask Jesus how a guy got blind and what sin he or his family committed. What was his response again?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I think you missed the point on Neitzche. What was he doing to acquire syphilis?
Nietzsche didn't have syphilis.
'Madness' of Nietzsche was cancer not syphilis
Friedrich Nietzsche, the philosopher thought to have died of syphilis caught from prostitutes, was in fact the victim of a posthumous smear campaign by anti-Nazis, according to new research.
A study of medical records has found that, far from suffering a sexually-transmitted disease which drove him mad, Nietzsche almost certainly died of brain cancer.
The neurological illness of Friedrich Nietzsche. - PubMed - NCBI
Despite the prevalent opinion that neurosyphilis caused Nietzsche's illness, there is lack of evidence to support this diagnosis.
You're trying to erect a strawman to tear down and dismiss Nietzsche. Of course he denounced Christian morality: his was a philosophy of "thou shalt" rather than "thou shalt not." And, FYI, he didn't leave behind a reputation of immorality, but one of a decent gentleman, very polite, quiet but witty, highly intelligent, and he didn't care much for alcohol.
You would have stopped at the red light anyway...
Actually, I said I don't stop, and when I do it has nothing to do with authority but rather I don't want my car scattered across an intersection and my body broken and smashed. If any laws are being submitted to, it is the laws of physics, not of god or man.

PureX

Veteran Member
Brilliance and lunacy often go hand in hand, and Friedrich Nietzsche is a poster boy for this phenomena. All he really is, is extreme. Extremely right, and extremely wrong, in turns. As opposed to the rest of us, who tend to be relatively right and relatively wrong when we actually take the time to posit our half-baked theories.

I like Friedrich Nietzsche for his absurd brilliance. His grandiose scope of vision. And for his audacity. But, except for the observations about some human psycho-mechanics, most of his ideas and opinions are nonsense.

dfnj

that's true. today, people think they are gods, it's despicable.

What is despicable is people being conditioned not to have any personal authority. People are conditioned to obey authority outside of themselves to their own detriment.

Gods have omnipotent powers. How can people think they are Gods? What do you think is a god?