• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

French President Emmanuel Macron sues billboard owner for depicting him as Adolf Hitler

Watchmen

Premium Member
He’s doing it by legal means. It’s not like he sent the army to tear it down. I don’t see the problem.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Big mistake of Macron, and quite hypocritical. I remember Macron was quite big on "Freedom of Speech" and painting Muhammad in a newspaper in Paris. It seems macron suffers from short term memory loss, as he totally forgot about what happened in Paris just recently.

Now he could (and should) have shown the Islamic world by action, and not just preaching, that he really believes in "Freedom of Speech"

French President Emmanuel Macron sues billboard owner for depicting him as Adolf Hitler

Ironic that the anti-vaxxers are comparing Macron to Hitler, considering that it's the anti-vaxxers who are collaborating with a national enemy that's on track to kill as many French civilians as the Nazis did.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Ironic that the anti-vaxxers are comparing Macron to Hitler, considering that it's the anti-vaxxers who are collaborating with a national enemy that's on track to kill as many French civilians as the Nazis did.
Not the point here.

The point is "Macron being hypocritcal"

He should know better, and reply in a smarter way, not sue the man for Hitler like billboard, but giving a proper reason, worthy of a man in his function. Address the real issue, instead of his ego issue

infrabenji

Big mistake of Macron, and quite hypocritical. I remember Macron was quite big on "Freedom of Speech" and painting Muhammad in a newspaper in Paris. It seems macron suffers from short term memory loss, as he totally forgot about what happened in Paris just recently.

Now he could (and should) have shown the Islamic world by action, and not just preaching, that he really believes in "Freedom of Speech"

Omg that really happened. That’s incredible.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Not the point here.

He should know better, and reply in a smarter way, not sue the man for Hitler like billboard, but giving a proper reason, worthy of a man in his function. Address the real issue, instead of his ego issue
I disagree. I think a lawsuit for defamation is fully in order. Free speech does not entitle a person to publicly malign another without justification. Falsely maligned people have rights too.

In English law there is a defence of "fair comment", but this is so egregiously unfair that I can't see it applying. In France, I don't know.

It is not hypocrisy.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Not the point here.

That's your point.

My point is that the anti-vaxxer/anti-masker crowd who are helping COVID-19 spread, and who are deliberately undermining public health measures, are as bad as - and are as deadly as - Nazi collaborators.

An even better idea: you should do a bit of Googling to educate yourself on whether free speech includes defamatory speech.

stvdv

I disagree. I think a lawsuit for defamation is fully in order. Free speech does not entitle a person to publicly malign another without justification. Falsely maligned people have rights too.

In English law there is a defence of "fair comment", but this is so egregiously unfair that I can't see it applying. In France, I don't know.
I agree that it's very distasteful to say the least. And it's good that people become aware of the importance of using Speech in the correct way

It is not hypocrisy.
I still disagree, because the Muhammad cartoon is also distasteful, and esp. for Muslims
So, I see this event as Divine Karma, teaching humans a lesson in the importance of proper use of Speech

Note: Of course it was also Divine Karma, that Muhammad was depicted, to teach Muslims a lessons (hopefully all learn their lessons)

stvdv

That's your point.
True, hence I end all my posts with "IMHO"

My point is that the anti-vaxxer/anti-masker crowd who are helping COVID-19 spread, and who are deliberately undermining public health measures, are as bad as - and are as deadly as - Nazi collaborators.
Indeed, I agree that people who spread Covid-19 on purpose act very bad

An even better idea: you should do a bit of Googling to educate yourself on whether free speech includes defamatory speech.
Thank you.

So, my guess is that Muslims classify Charlie Hebdo's cartoon of Muhammad (which Macron did not condemn to say the least) as defamatory, hence should not be done. And the one depicting Macron also used defamatory pictures. IMO, a clear case of karma biting back. Both might have thought they had good reasons to do what they did, but both should have done it in a different way.

I love the saying: "You can not always oblige, but you can always speak obligingly"

defamatory
adjective
  1. (of remarks, writing, etc.) damaging the good reputation of someone; slanderous or libellous.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I agree that it's very distasteful to say the least. And it's good that people become aware of the importance of using Speech in the correct way

I still disagree, because the Muhammad cartoon is also distasteful, and esp. for Muslims
So, I see this event as Divine Karma, teaching humans a lesson in the importance of proper use of Speech

Note: Of course it was also Divine Karma, that Muhammad was depicted, to teach Muslims a lessons (hopefully all learn their lessons)
But a cartoon of a long-dead religious figure, however much revered, is not maligning anyone unfairly. No action for defamation could possibly succeed. So it's not hypocrisy.

It might be considered disrespectful of a religion, given the muslim prohibition on images of the Prophet, but frankly a non-muslim is not bound by the rules of Islam any more than I am bound by Jewish or Hindu dietary law.

stvdv

But a cartoon of a long-dead religious figure, however much revered, is not maligning anyone unfairly .... So it's not hypocrisy.
I think Muslims disagree with this too, remembering their reaction to the cartoon, but I will ask a friend who is Muslim what he thinks of this

It might be considered disrespectful of a religion, given the muslim prohibition on images of the Prophet, but frankly a non-muslim is not bound by the rules of Islam any more than I am bound by Jewish or Hindu dietary law.
True.

But IF we create karma (any word, thought, deed) we are bound to reap the consequences one day. God's Laws differ from human laws

exchemist

Veteran Member
I think Muslims disagree with this too, remembering their reaction to the cartoon, but I will ask a friend who is Muslim what he thinks of this

True.

But IF we create karma (any word, thought, deed) we are bound to reap the consequences one day. God's Laws differ from human laws
It's not a matter of what a muslim may think, it's a matter of law.

It would be monstrous if someone who does not follow a particular religion were to be forced to follow its teaching.