• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

French President Emmanuel Macron sues billboard owner for depicting him as Adolf Hitler

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Big mistake of Macron, and quite hypocritical. I remember Macron was quite big on "Freedom of Speech" and painting Muhammad in a newspaper in Paris. It seems macron suffers from short term memory loss, as he totally forgot about what happened in Paris just recently.

Now he could (and should) have shown the Islamic world by action, and not just preaching, that he really believes in "Freedom of Speech"

French President Emmanuel Macron sues billboard owner for depicting him as Adolf Hitler

exchemist

Veteran Member
Big mistake of Macron, and quite hypocritical. I remember Macron was quite big on "Freedom of Speech" and painting Muhammad in a newspaper in Paris. It seems macron suffers from short term memory loss, as he totally forgot about what happened in Paris just recently.

Now he could (and should) have shown the Islamic world by action, and not just preaching, that he really believes in "Freedom of Speech"

But this is anti-vaxxer propaganda.

stvdv

But this is anti-vaxxer propaganda.
That is true, but Muslims called the depiction blasphemy, so anti-vaxxer seems quite mild compared to that

He really could have made a statement to the Islamic world with this opportunity. He really failed miserably here

And he had a problem with Hitler, more than with anti-vaccine image I think (see below headline; anti-vaxxer not mentioned)

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Big mistake of Macron, and quite hypocritical.
In the US that would be a slap suit, impossible to win but designed to cost the other people money in legal fees. In France I don't know. Maybe he can win there.

stvdv

That is true, but Muslims called the depiction blasphemy, so anti-vaxxer seems quite mild compared to that

He really could have made a statement to the Islamic world with this opportunity. He really failed miserably here
I do hope the Islamic world uses this opportunity to correct Macron, otherwise we might have lost Freedom of Speech

stvdv

Anti vaxxer stuff endangers all of society. Cartoons of Muhammad doesn't harm anyone.
MAJOR big difference there.
No, that is not the case here. Macron was upset with "Hitler" depiction, anti-vaxxer stuff was not even mentioned as the problem

stvdv

In the US that would be a slap suit, impossible to win but designed to cost the other people money in legal fees. In France I don't know. Maybe he can win there.
That would be really bad. Macron should stop his crazy lawsuit. He has plenty of money already, and this is plain wrong (hypocritical)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Free speech isn't always used for the best cause.
I see that as pretty much on par with that shouting fire in a crowded theater thing. (That really did happen. It's why we can't legally do it anymore).
There is free speech, and then there is public endangerment.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member

"Vexatious litigation is legal action which is brought solely to harass or subdue an adversary. It may take the form of a primary frivolous lawsuit or may be the repetitive, burdensome, and unwarranted filing of meritless motions in a matter which is otherwise a meritorious cause of action. Filing vexatious litigation is considered an abuse of the judicial process and may result in sanctions against the offender."

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I see that as pretty much on par with that shouting fire in a crowded theater thing. (That really did happen. It's why we can't legally do it anymore).
There is free speech, and then there is public endangerment.
I don't know if such speech is legally allowed in Francistan.
Perhaps @ChristineM could tell us.

Hey...post #190,000.
What an....uh....uchievment.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Liberté, egalité, fraternité

They can post whatever they want, and macro can sue whoever he wants. The law in france is more tedious than american but eventually the judges will win

Altfish

Veteran Member

And he had a problem with Hitler, more than with anti-vaccine image I think (see below headline; anti-vaxxer not mentioned)
Don't forget, Blasphemy is a victimless crime.
Most countries no longer have blasphemy laws, including France

ChristineM

Premium Member
Don't forget, Blasphemy is a victimless crime.
Most countries no longer have blasphemy laws, including France

Mostly

France abolished the offence of blasphemy in 1791; but the offence persists in the regions of Alsace and Moselle as Articles 166 and 167 of the local penal code.

Tiz fortunate i dont live in Alsace or Moselle

ChristineM

Premium Member
No, that is not the case here. Macron was upset with "Hitler" depiction, anti-vaxxer stuff was not even mentioned as the problem

I suggest you study a little French politics and read the damn poster before opening your mouth and some fool putting their foot in it

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
"Vexatious litigation is legal action which is brought solely to harass or subdue an adversary. It may take the form of a primary frivolous lawsuit or may be the repetitive, burdensome, and unwarranted filing of meritless motions in a matter which is otherwise a meritorious cause of action. Filing vexatious litigation is considered an abuse of the judicial process and may result in sanctions against the offender."
True it can, but it is also very effective sometimes for deterring opponents. People do it here, sometimes.