• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

French Fries

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Do Belgians have a sauce for the fries? I have stopped buying ketchup, because it contains high fructose corn syrup and instead use crushed tomato with a little shredded cheese. That works for me. What is the original fry sauce?

In Belgium, the "default" is definatly mayonaise.

The second most popular is ketchup, I'ld say.

Then there's a whole range of sauces that you'll typically find in every shed: andalouse, americaine, cocktail, curry, tartaar,... (sorry don't know the english name for most of these).

Then there's also the "special sauce". If you ask that in a shed, you'll get a mixture of mayonaise and ketchup with chopped up onions on it:

upload_2020-4-23_9-39-1.png

It looks like a mess... and it really is a mess. And it's supposed to be a mess :D
And it's delicious!

In the Netherlands, they do have a special "frietsauce", but it seems to me to be just a variation of mayonaise with a subtle additional flavour added to it. Wouldn't know what it is though...

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Permission to add to the confusion.
Here in Blighty we have both chips (fat chips) and French fries (thin chips).
Just this evening we had burger for tea. My partner had chips (from the frozen chips bag) and I had French fries (from the frozen.... you get the picture).

Yeah, it can be confusing at times ey... :)

I always thought that chips refered to "french fries" that were more shaped like actual chips, like so:

upload_2020-4-23_9-48-58.png

This is basically the same thing as the traditional fries in the sense that it's prepared in the exact same way, just cut differently.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Also, this makes me wonder if they French are lying about toast.

What do they call French toast in France?

...or Chinese food in China?
What is French toast?

Is it what the French call "pain perdu" (i.e. "lost bread" - a way, I think, of recovering odds and ends that are going stale.

exchemist

Veteran Member
okay, i'm drooling

Moules-frites, be it in paris or at the belgian coast, it's like.... wauw :)

So.... when will restaurants re-open again? :)
In the UK, the restaurants are unlikely to be open again this year, we heard yesterday. I think the restaurant culture in Europe will be largely killed off by this virus, at least until we get a vaccine.

You'd better learn how to do the moules at home, I think. I've never cooked them myself yet, being a bit scared of poisoning myself by missing a bad one, but I think I had better learn. I can get them at the fishmonger.

I don't do chips either and don't want the hassle of deep frying - all that waste oil to dispose of. But I do shallow fried "croque-croque" potatoes, as we call them in the family, which are just as good.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Yeah, it can be confusing at times ey... :)

I always thought that chips refered to "french fries" that were more shaped like actual chips, like so:

View attachment 39244

This is basically the same thing as the traditional fries in the sense that it's prepared in the exact same way, just cut differently.

No, they aren't a thing. Perhaps "fat hot crisps"? Or "Round chips"? Nah, it's not happening. :screamcat:

(The only other permitted format is "crinkle cut chips", fiendishly designed to provide a larger surface area to absorb even more fat). :laughing:

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
In the UK, the restaurants are unlikely to be open again this year, we heard yesterday. I think the restaurant culture in Europe will be largely killed off by this virus, at least until we get a vaccine.

You'd better learn how to do the moules at home, I think. I've never cooked them myself yet, being a bit scared of poisoning myself by missing a bad one, but I think I had better learn. I can get them at the fishmonger.

I don't do chips either and don't want the hassle of deep frying - all that waste oil to dispose of. But I do shallow fried "croque-croque" potatoes, as we call them in the family, which are just as good.

We eat moules regurarly at home when it's the season though. It's really not that hard to make.

As for fries in oil... I hear ya. Next to the waste to dispose, there's also the smell... It spreads to the entire house and whatever clothes laying around will have a heavy fries stench...

We don't fry fries anymore as a result. We bake it in the oven instead. There's even specific fries meant for exactly that

upload_2020-4-23_10-40-30.png

It's a lot more healthy as well, as the fries aren't drenched in grease...
The taste is a little different off course, but the minimal "loss" of taste, to me at least, doesn't measure up against the advantages of not having your house smell like oil grease and all the hassle of disposing it responsibly.

exchemist

Veteran Member
We eat moules regurarly at home when it's the season though. It's really not that hard to make.

As for fries in oil... I hear ya. Next to the waste to dispose, there's also the smell... It spreads to the entire house and whatever clothes laying around will have a heavy fries stench...

We don't fry fries anymore as a result. We bake it in the oven instead. There's even specific fries meant for exactly that

View attachment 39253

The taste is a little different off course, but the minimal "loss" of taste, to me at least, doesn't measure up against the advantages of not having your house smell like oil grease and all the hassle of disposing it responsibly.
Right, that's it! I'm definitely going to try moules at home, when I can get to the fishmonger. (At the moment it is hard, because they only allow 2 people in the shop and they are doing a lot of deliveries to people who are isolating at home, so there is often a queue stretching round the corner.

What weight do I need to buy for 2 people?

pearl

Like a good steak I think its a sin to smother good fries with anything but a little salt, or maybe for fries a little malt vinegar, but only on fries made from raw potatoes, not a bag in the freezer.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
What is French toast?

Is it what the French call "pain perdu" (i.e. "lost bread" - a way, I think, of recovering odds and ends that are going stale.

Bread dipped in an egg mixture and fried in a skillet.

Pretty sure it's the same thing as pain perdu, at least that's what @ChristineM tells me.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Let's just say some Americans were embarrassed. As we are for other reasons today.

Would you like to endorse an immigrant couple?

I know many americans were not happy and as i understand it was only government canteens and a few of the dubya fanatics who used the term.

You planning on moving to the civilised world? ;-)

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I know many americans were not happy and as i understand it was only government canteens and a few of the dubya fanatics who used the term.

You planning on moving to the civilised world? ;-)

We have a few more years before retirement, but after that, definitely.

ChristineM

Premium Member
What is French toast?

It is, in France its usually served with fresh fruit as desert

ChristineM

Premium Member

View attachment 39253

I prefer oven chips, they don't taste of grease.

On fact its those in your pic that we use most often...

The french packet

8710438109566_PHOTOSITE_20200228_165818_0.jpg

ChristineM

Premium Member

Thief

Rogue Theologian
so I washed and cut some small reds
leaving the skin on
and let them swim in hot lard

I don't like the smell of hot lard as it turns out

but the potatoes were just fine

so....is there a name for that style of fried potato?

ChristineM

Premium Member
so I washed and cut some small reds
leaving the skin on
and let them swim in hot lard

I don't like the smell of hot lard as it turns out

but the potatoes were just fine

so....is there a name for that style of fried potato?

I call them deep fried potatoes, not made them for a few years. I always microwaved them for about 5 minutes before deep frying them