• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freedom Tower construction begins at WTC site

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Freedom Tower work begins at WTC site

Ground finally broken on what will be tallest building in New York City

NEW YORK - After spending months wrangling for control of buildings and money at ground zero, politicians and a private developer gathered Thursday as excavation trucks rolled out to mark the beginning of construction of the Freedom Tower, the symbolic skyscraper designed to replace the destroyed World Trade Center.

Hours after the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which owned the trade center, approved a broad new deal with developer Larry Silverstein that changes timelines and rebuilding strategies for lower Manhattan, Silverstein announced Wednesday that construction crews would report to the site Thursday morning.

Early Thursday, New York Gov. George Pataki, New Jersey Gov. Jon Corzine, Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Silverstein stood on the ramp leading to the site, shaking hands with about a dozen workers. Three large yellow excavating trucks then rolled down the ramp, driven by workers wearing hard hats emblazoned with the American flag and the words "Freedom Tower, World Trade Center."
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12513193/

there is also a slide show on you can click on at the right that shows images of what it will look like.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Personally, I think it is a ridiculous idea to build a new tower. I read somewhere that MANY of the families do not want it.

nutshell

Why do you believe it's ridiculous to build a new tower?

If it were up to me, I'd build two towers much larger than the originals.

evearael

I feel that no plan is going to make everyone satisfied because it is such an emotionally charged dilemma, as well as a political and economic statement.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
If 'we' don't rebuild the WTC site, the terrorists win.
If 'we' build something bigger and badder there, it will be more of a target.
:confused:

I can see both sides of the discussion, and honestly I can't say I lean one way or the other. I just hope the finished product will be tastefully designed, include a respectful memorial to those who lost their lives, and will have an overall positive impact on lower Manhattan.:)

Bishka

Veteran Member
CaptainXeroid said:
If 'we' don't rebuild the WTC site, the terrorists win.
If 'we' build something bigger and badder there, it will be more of a target.
:confused:

I can see both sides of the discussion, and honestly I can't say I lean one way or the other. I just hope the finished product will be tastefully designed, include a respectful memorial to those who lost their lives, and will have an overall positive impact on lower Manhattan.:)

They don't win if rebuild. I personally trying to build a bigger and better tower(s) is like small children fighting over whose better. I think it would be much better if we made it into a memorial for those who lost there life instead of trying to beat out others with bigger building.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
beckysoup61 said:
...I think it would be much better if we made it into a memorial for those who lost there life instead of trying to beat out others with bigger building.
I think if you re-read my post, you'll see we're not that far off. I didn't say to re-create the World Trade Center complex as it existed on 09/10/2001, I just mentioned rebuilding something on the site.:)

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
What is the building going to be used for? Surely they aren't using a building that large solely as a memorial... what would they fill it with? o.o

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
They are building it to replace teh towers that were destroyed. The companies that were located in those towers have been relocated to different buildings, spread across Manhattan and New England, and the companies have been porring a lot of money into carrying on their business, even though there central offices ceased to exist. It will still be the World Trade Center.