• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freedom of Religious Belief in the U.S.

Lightkeeper

How much freedom of religious belief do we have in the U.S.? Do you think we will ever have a president who is not of the Christian faith?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
We will see a female and a non-white President before we see a President who is not of a Christian background, IMO.

I think we have the freedom to believe whatever we wish, even though some aren't always as tolerant of those beliefs as they should/could be.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Ha i'd like to see an observant Jewish president. Could you imagine them bringing up a huge frigin Torah scroll and the President-elect hold his tzitzit up to it as he takes the oath.....wow imagine how many frigin mezuzas you would need for the white house!:eek: There has to be like 100 door posts in that place! Or how about the presidential Sukkah! :biglaugh:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I doubt we're going to see an openingly atheist president in the White House anytime soon. I'm not sure why so many people are opposed to having an atheist in the White House, but the polls say that a majority of people are so opposed. Their opposition seems more sentimental than rational to me.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Sunstone said:
I doubt we're going to see an openingly atheist president in the White House anytime soon. I'm not sure why so many people are opposed to having an atheist in the White House, but the polls say that a majority of people are so opposed. Their opposition seems more sentimental than rational to me.
An openly atheist president would leave themselves open to character debates. Their opponent would equate the candidate's atheism with a lack of moral and family values. Whether that is true or not is not the point, atheism in a candidate in this country is a liability.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
well we had a woman Native American run for Vice-president... she didn't realy get any mention in the popular media. Winona LaDuke ran with Ralph Nader in 2000.
It would have been neat to see a Native American signing in. Full regalia, drum circles and smudging. :woohoo:
I remember hearing that Senator Ben Nighthorse Campbell attended a meeting of the senate in full regalia. It apparently caused quite the stir... he later had to explain (to the media,the senate already ok'd it) that he was at the opening of the "Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of the American Indian" (or NMAI) and didn't have time to change before-hand. The media made a bigger deal of it than the Senate did.:rolleyes:

wa:do

Lightkeeper said:
How much freedom of religious belief do we have in the U.S.?
Freedom of belief is kind of a misnomer. As long as no one can read minds, no one can really know or control what other people believe.

As for freedom of religous practice and speech, I think that is near absolute in the US.

Lightkeeper said:
Do you think we will ever have a president who is not of the Christian faith?
I'm sure we already have, they just did what rulers have done throughout history, pretended to believe something they didn't in order to get popular support.

Pah

Uber all member
Lightkeeper said:
How much freedom of religious belief do we have in the U.S.? Do you think we will ever have a president who is not of the Christian faith?
We have 100 percent total freedom of religious thought although expression is limited

Unrelated to the first question, probably not.

Bob

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
jewscout said:
An openly atheist president would leave themselves open to character debates. Their opponent would equate the candidate's atheism with a lack of moral and family values. Whether that is true or not is not the point, atheism in a candidate in this country is a liability.
Damn! I was seriously thinking of running for President in 2008. I figured that if an ignorant, bigoted, mass murderer like George W. Bush could win, just about anyone would have a chance. Maybe I will run for Governor of Ohio, instead. :biglaugh:

GodofCats

Lightkeeper said:
We have already had a president of non-Christian faith. Thomas Jefferson. (nondenominational)

As to my thoughts on freedom of religion... well, there are still religious symbols used by the government (In god we trust). There are a lot of issues on abortion. I still don't see how Christianity has proven early birth abortion is a sin or is against a law, but I am not too learned on the subject. The thing I see as missing in the Bible is where it says life begins at conception. Also, same sex marriages. Just exactly who can have a marriage license? I'm pretty sure Rabbis can. Can't non-Bible religious people get married as well? I am pretty confused on these two subjects, but I don't think we have the liberty we should.