• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freedom index 2021.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Maybe we need to give the Statue of Liberty to New Zealand as the most free place on earth.

The US keeps slipping down the scale and frankly, we don't deserve the Statue of Liberty anymore.

Freedom Index By Country 2021

One of the biggest shockers is looking at the entire world, freedom is now smaller than ever.

Tyranny and constraint seems to now be the norm for most of earths populations and it hasn't improved over the years.

It looks like freedom is shrinking away pretty fast to a point I'm asking one question.

What's going on?

Twilight Hue

Maybe I'm nuts...

But I feel free.

To those who don't feel free, what do you feel restricts you? (If, of course, you're at the liberty to say. I understand some may not be.)
I don't feel free.

In New York people are told what they can and cannot do in just about every aspect of their lives both public and private.

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
Maybe we need to give the Statue of Liberty to New Zealand as the most free place on earth.

The US keeps slipping down the scale and frankly, we don't deserve the Statue of Liberty anymore.

One of the biggest shockers is looking at the entire world, freedom is now smaller than ever.

Tyranny and constraint seems to now be the norm for most of earths populations and it hasn't improved over the years.

It looks like freedom is shrinking away pretty fast to a point I'm asking one question.

What's going on?

IMO the main issue here is the possible movement away from free and fair elections, if Trump's party gets their way. Otherwise, I perceive no loss of freedom as defined in that article.

Regiomontanus

It's a world wide problem.

The map this year is shocking.

We have traditionally been an example for others to follow. Trump badly tarnished that image and now his party is embracing strongmen. So we are leading the way, I think, to much worse times. Go USA?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Look up nanny state.

Take your pick.

I don't want to look up nanny state, I want to hear personal experiences.

(I'm not trying to negate you, I really am curious as to how some people feel their freedoms are being affected.)

I guess one thing that makes me feel 'restricted', now that I think of it, its not being able to camp out in the woods without lacing someone's palm with silver. It has, however, been that was as long as I can remember. I suspect you can get away with it, though, so long as you're crafty about it.

Regiomontanus

(I'm not trying to negate you, I really am curious as to how some people feel their freedoms are being affected.)

I guess one thing that makes me feel 'restricted', now that I think of it, its not being able to camp out in the woods without lacing someone's palm with silver. It has, however, been that was as long as I can remember. I suspect you can get away with it, though, so long as you're crafty about it.

Where do you live? It should not cost you anything to go camp in the woods if there is public land near you...

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Our technological prowess is making us more global, meaning more governance is needed in order to manage an ever-growing population with ever-increasing needs for regulation to keep us from killing ourselves and our natural resources.

If we want more freedom, we need to figure out how to globally manage it which will mean finding a balance between technological prowess, sound regulation to prevent things like environmental disasters and violence with maintaining adequate resources for a growing population while still supporting as much individual freedoms as we can.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Where do you live? It should not cost you anything to go camp in the woods if there is public land near you...

I'm in Iowa. It does cost. Actually, its only allowed in recognized campgrounds. If you get caught camping off of those grounds, you face a fine.

74x12

What's going on?
People are scared; they prefer safety to freedom. I think everyone is in a trance as their freedom is taken they haven't woken up yet to it. They should be afraid of their freedoms being taken more than whatever other thing they are afraid of. Because once your freedom is taken they can do whatever they want to you.

exchemist

Veteran Member

What's going on?
The change overall since 2008 seems to be 0.07 out of 10. That is a change of 0.7%, which is obviously well within the range of error for a subjective evaluation such as this. So that looks to me like no significant overall change, globally.

So from where do you get your idea that freedom is "shrinking away pretty fast"? Have I missed something?

RestlessSoul

I don't feel free.

In New York people are told what they can and cannot do in just about every aspect of their lives both public and private.

I’ve been to New York. Felt pretty free to me. No police stopped me in the street and asked to see my papers, which is an experience I’ve had in other supposedly free countries. Everyone seemed very tolerant of each other. I stayed in the Bronx too, but felt pretty safe everywhere I went. I’d go back tomorrow, loved NYC

Twilight Hue

Most are quality of life issue's. A few examples....

So many things as a kid I could do but no more.

I see freedoms dissappear with peoples choices in foods. Such as the banning of saturated fats in restaurants. Toys with meals for the young uns.

The businesses who can no longer provide a means of free choice for consumers who now have to purchase their own means of conveyance from the store to their car.

People who cannot choose their own doctors anymore.

The free carrying of firearms that now requires permits and licenses.

The loss of property rights to do whatever you want with your own land and house.

Smokers who have no public place of their choosing to smoke inside.

They may look trivial, people sometimes mock them, but the legal mechanisms behind it all are most certainly not trivial.

On a broader scale you are now open to rampant warrantless surveillance and interventions both govt and private without a means of recourse.

Free speech is relegated to 'zones' or 'designated forums'.

I live in a society of mandates now, not established rule of law.

Kids are now handcuffed and treated as adults and families are prone to rearing their own children by state mandate rather then traditionally by themselves.

There's more but these are just a few off the top of my head.

There's not much left to be enjoyed anymore.

You tend to notice what's missing as you age and look back into time. People born later probably wont notice the degradation until generations later and make comparisons of what they could do in the past and what they can't do presently.

My whole point is we are being more and more restricted as a society. Bit by bit like a frog being slowly boiled to death in water.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I’ve been to New York. Felt pretty free to me. No police stopped me in the street and asked to see my papers, which is an experience I’ve had in other supposedly free countries. Everyone seemed very tolerant of each other.

I did get pulled over an awful lot when I was younger. I wasn't doing anything, other than having a junky car. Which isn't illegal.

Once I got my car searched(I had a tail light out). I told the officer to have fun; all he would find was a mess. He found a rotten snack under a seat that the then-toddler had deposited, and that was enough for him. I thought sticking his hand in that was a good pay back.

Having been poor, and not being poor now, I think the poor face more discrimination that can sometimes be restrictive.