• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Free Will

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Could it be considered moral to force something on someone that they didn't want?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Could it be considered moral to force something on someone that they didn't want?

Maybe.

I don't think its immoral to disguise a kid's carrots in their pancakes.

But I don't think its moral to rob someone of their money, either.

Guess it all depends on the situation.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Maybe.

I don't think its immoral to disguise a kid's carrots in their pancakes.

But I don't think its moral to rob someone of their money, either.

Guess it all depends on the situation.

Yes, there are no absolutes in reality.

At some point in the relationships though, we have to accept the person as an adult and recognize their autonomy. Then they have to be responsible for their choices. If their freewill is overrode, then maybe that person should be financially and physically responsible for them?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
It depends on the gravity of the situation. In general the moral thing is to allow individuals as much freedom as possible, but there are exceptions. For example, if someone tries to commit suicide, we put them in a locked down psychiatric facility where they are not free to leave, for a 72 hour observation.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Then they have to be responsible for their choices. If their freewill is overrode, then maybe that person should be financially and physically responsible for them?

Sometimes that happens, in the case an adult is not able to adequately care for themselves, due to some disability or the other.

Though sometimes we give up part of our free will as part of a social agreement. In a situation where two people live together(romantically or otherwise), there may be an agreement that neither party will take drugs. It isn't that the other person has squashed the other's free will, but both have agreed to abide by these conditions in order to further harmony.

MikeF

Premium Member

It would depend on the facts of the case and the set of rules that applied to both parties. All cases of forcing someone to do something against their will is not universally prohibited in any rule system that exists or has existed. Wouldn't you agree?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
It is moral to force on a killer "to not kill other beings"
so we're speaking to service as either towards self or other as self. i don't know of a murderer that would enjoy being murdered. most don't want to die painfully, or suffering greater than they already are.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
It would depend on the facts of the case and the set of rules that applied to both parties. All cases of forcing someone to do something against their will is not universally prohibited in any rule system that exists or has existed. Wouldn't you agree?
it's called the law of reciprocity, or golden rule.

service to self types, don't usually follow it. they want to be the exception

MikeF

Premium Member
I would treat reciprocity as explicitly an expectation of a tit-for-tat exchange of value, whereas, the Golden Rule would include prohibition of negative actions, either unilateral or mutual.

In that respect, The Golden Rule might be applied to an instance of forcing someone to do something against their will, but again, it depends on the facts of the case. If you are forcibly incarcerating someone for a convicted crime, does this violate the Golden Rule or enforce it?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
so we're speaking to service as either towards self or other as self
:heart:

i don't know of a murderer that would enjoy being murdered. most don't want to die painfully, or suffering greater than they already are.
Exactly, hence I said it's morally okay to impose on them to stop killing