• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Free Will

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
Where does free will originate? How does it work, exactly?.. Is it dependant on the brain, at all?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Where does free will originate? How does it work, exactly?.. Is it dependant on the brain, at all?
It originates with the thought "I," and takes flight (works) with the thought "I am."

It's dependent only upon the symbol "I."

yoda89

On Xtended Vacation
I'm beginning to think there no such thing as free will. Just basically a word made up to give the notions that we are more in control of our lives than we truly are. Kind of like religion.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Freewill is simply doing what you want to do.

Sometime the decisions we make restrict the limits of our freewill like doing something criminal and getting put in jail.

Religions and governments impose laws which try to restrict freewill. Actually they impose either real or imagined consequences which attempt to restrict the limits of your freewill.

idav

Being
Premium Member

In-determinism.

Potentialities as possibilities.

No. IDK, rephrase?

Choice depends on probabilities and if they don't exist then straight to hard determinism. Does human choice depend on these probabilities? Not as far as we can tell but we do know that all matter and energy is dependent on it. Life is the only thing I have seen that even hints to having this wiggle room outside of the micro realm.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Free will does not exist as far as can be seen. It would require genuine randomness. Our genes, experiences, how we were raised, natural brain chemistry, and numerous other factors dictate who we are and what we will do in any situation. My friend used to use the idea of a "god computer" that could track all possible variables in the universe. From the big bang it could calculate all events that would to you creating this thread.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I'm beginning to think there no such thing as free will. Just basically a word made up to give the notions that we are more in control of our lives than we truly are. Kind of like religion.
Yup. And without freewill the notion of sin and salvation is meaningless. Hence it exists as an indispensable facet of Christian theology. Not that this makes it true, just why it's so ardently defended. And not defended with any evidence or logic, but more often with fallacious arguments and tactics. I have yet to see an argument for freewill that hasn't eventually devolved into incoherent meanderings around the idea---if the idea itself is ever well spelled out. Personally, the best definition I've come across is that freewill is the ability to have done differently. While expressed in the past tense is not ideal, I believe it serves as a good starting point from which to look at freewill, particularly as it stands in opposition to determinism.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Yup. And without freewill the notion of sin and salvation is meaningless. Hence it exists as an indispensable facet of Christian theology. Not that this makes it true, just why it's so ardently defended. And not defended with any evidence or logic, but more often with fallacious arguments and tactics. I have yet to see an argument for freewill that hasn't eventually devolved into incoherent meanderings around the idea---if the idea itself is ever well spelled out. Personally, the best definition I've come across is that freewill is the ability to have done differently. While expressed in the past tense is not ideal, I believe it serves as a good starting point from which to look at freewill, particularly as it stands in opposition to determinism.

At least hard determinism is falsifiable or even false from what I have seen. Unfortunately that isn't enough to give humans free will. Will in itself seems like as strange concept to begin with, when life ever shows or has will is more about autonomy than anything else. With that, autonomy isn't enough for free agency either. All that said I find it paradoxical since hard determinism is falsifiable. Actions are indeed happening where more than one potentiality is possible.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

I think free-will is relative to the observer. From my perspective I have free-will. From the ultimate perspective it is all Brahman's will and we are Brahman.

Skwim

Veteran Member
At least hard determinism is falsifiable or even false from what I have seen. Unfortunately that isn't enough to give humans free will. Will in itself seems like as strange concept to begin with, when life ever shows or has will is more about autonomy than anything else. With that, autonomy isn't enough for free agency either. All that said I find it paradoxical since hard determinism is falsifiable. Actions are indeed happening where more than one potentiality is possible.
Depends by what you mean, exactly, by "potentiality is possible." What potentialities and how possible? And, if you're talking about events at the quantum level, how they actually impinge on the super-atomic world (that above the quantum level).

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Depends by what you mean, exactly, by "potentiality is possible." What potentialities and how possible? And, if you're talking about events at the quantum level, how they actually impinge on the super-atomic world (that above the quantum level).

Technically, how possible doesn't matter if all you're talking about is its potential possibility. What matters is that it's potentially possible.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Technically, how possible doesn't matter if all you're talking about is its potential possibility. What matters is that it's potentially possible.
I'd be interested in the nature of the manifestation of these potentialities, which if incorrect would negate them.

idav

Being
Premium Member

Possible enough to be a verified influence.

A good question, how the atomic world influences the macro world but simply everything macro is made up of these micro influences. So almost as if there is never a time it isnt influencing because micro is part of this world. I would say that more of the influence would come from the higher power aspects of matter and energy.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Possible enough to be a verified influence.

A good question, how the atomic world influences the macro world but simply everything macro is made up of these micro influences. So almost as if there is never a time it isnt influencing because micro is part of this world. I would say that more of the influence would come from the higher power aspects of matter and energy.
But the only place where determinism may be moot is at the quantum level, which is below the atomic/molecular level at which we operate.

As Max Erik Tegmark, a Swedish-American cosmologist said.
"The main argument against the quantum mind proposition is that quantum states in the brain would decohere before they reached a spatial or temporal scale, at which they could be useful for neural processing. Michael Price, for example, says that quantum effects rarely or never affect human decisions and that classical physics determines the behaviour of neurons."
source