• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Free Will vs Determinism

Orias

Left Hand Path
I realize you felt sensations, desires, drives. None of this you control, not even the choice to act, no matter how you feel. You may very well do what you will, but not will what you will.

Ah but I feel only what I perceive.

I will do as I will, though I also realize that what I will is subject (in variance) to the will of others not making my will my own but a will that I have been given to drive the path of life.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
I realize you felt sensations, desires, drives. None of this you control, not even the choice to act, no matter how you feel. You may very well do what you will, but not will what you will.

Hmm... this is interesting, I "will" consider it. ;)

Xeper.
/Adramelek\

jasonwill2

Hmm... this is interesting, I "will" consider it. ;)

Xeper.
/Adramelek\

I think it's somewhere in-between the two proposed ideas, but closer to determinism. As I said, forces limit us into a selective set of choices. The purpose of our religions in the LHP is the expanding of these options, but in reality this expansion is drived by our nature to have control... so in the end our nature ends but also in the end our nature has more freedom with a wider selection of choices.

Everything we do is automatically part of our nature. We have free-will, but just enough to give us relative freedom in our choices. We can conciously choose to act out of character but it will make us feel really weird but in the end even that is in our nature as it is our nature to prove our viewpoint... including trying to prove freewill by doing somethign random. Therefore our nature wins again.

So neither, somewhere in-between is my viewpoint on free will and determinism.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Determinism, supported by the fact we are slaves to our neurons making our decisions, and limited in the decisions our neurons make by mathematics, the laws of physics, etc.

I don't know what you mean by becoming God, can you explain please?