• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Free Will (Religious Opinions Welcome!!)

MSizer

MSizer
We are not "robots." We are human
beings. We have free will.

Actually, an example that would be easier to relate to the matter at hand would be a challenge to you to not get angry if someone hurt one of your loved ones. We are made up of our bilogical processes, and we have no option to choose otherwise.

dust1n

Zindīq
Actually, an example that would be easier to relate to the matter at hand would be a challenge to you to not get angry if someone hurt one of your loved ones. We are made up of our bilogical processes, and we have no option to choose otherwise.

I suppose RomCat thinks he can choose to be attracted to men to, or enjoy the taste of dirt.

.lava

Veteran Member
We are made up of our bilogical processes, and we have no option to choose otherwise.

i agree with that partially. how would you explain me saying yes to cup of coffee today and saying no to the same thing tomorrow?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
To go off tangent for a minute- choices are not just good-bad. There are good-good choices and bad-bad choices, too. There are also good-better choices, bad-worse choices and I could go on.
Free will, to me, is just that. You make the decisions in your life- with or without help from others. Hopefully, you can make your own choices, and no one is forcing you into servitude or something.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
To go off tangent for a minute- choices are not just good-bad. There are good-good choices and bad-bad choices, too. There are also good-better choices, bad-worse choices and I could go on.
Free will, to me, is just that. You make the decisions in your life- with or without help from others. Hopefully, you can make your own choices, and no one is forcing you into servitude or something.

This is what interests me. We make decision certainly, but does that conflict with a deterministic view? Does the process of decision making discount the idea that all of the events prior to a decision actually inevitably cause a particular decision to be made? How does this influence your view of free will? Is free will simply the process of decision making or does it also incorporate history (sequence of events leading to the decision making moment), biology or divine intervention?

dust1n

Zindīq
This is what interests me. We make decision certainly, but does that conflict with a deterministic view?

No.

Does the process of decision making discount the idea that all of the events prior to a decision actually inevitably cause a particular decision to be made?

No.

How does this influence your view of free will?

Falls within it.

Is free will simply the process of decision making or does it also incorporate history (sequence of events leading to the decision making moment), biology or divine intervention?
It's none of those things.