• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Free speech does not trump life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

no-body

The thing that gets me is that these nutballs have been around for a long time and no one cared when they where just targeting dead gays. They protest at some soldiers funerals and everyones piling over themselves to make fun of them and ban them.

The thing that gets me is that these nutballs have been around for a long time and no one cared when they where just targeting dead gays. They protest at some soldiers funerals and everyones piling over themselves to make fun of them and ban them.

To be fair, people have been speaking out against them ever since they started funeral protests; the Matthew Shepard funeral in particular. Certainly there wasn't the same outcry as when they started to protest fallen soldiers, but it was still there. Part of the problem is that the media chooses to cover the soldier's funerals more than the others because they make for no-fail ratings. There are always large counter-protests when they show up at showings of "The Laramie Project," school proms, even the graduation of the KU law school, yet no major media outlet covers that outside the local news.

no-body

To be fair, people have been speaking out against them ever since they started funeral protests; the Matthew Shepard funeral in particular. Certainly there wasn't the same outcry as when they started to protest fallen soldiers, but it was still there. Part of the problem is that the media chooses to cover the soldier's funerals more than the others because they make for no-fail ratings. There are always large counter-protests when they show up at showings of "The Laramie Project," school proms, even the graduation of the KU law school, yet no major media outlet covers that outside the local news.

Sure they've had some notoriety before but nobody really cared except LGTB's. Now they're doing prime time specials on these guys where before they where a little footnote in the "odd side of the news"

"hurr hurr look at those funny signs, God hates F---s"

Sure they've had some notoriety before but nobody really cared except LGTB's. Now they're doing prime time specials on these guys where before they where a little footnote in the "odd side of the news"

Yeah, I'll agree that's it's pretty pathetic that most Americans couldn't care less when what they were doing was "only" morally reprehensible; that it took a shock at their idea of patriotism for them to care.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Also, I wasn't aware that being morally distasteful made you a criminal.
It's not that they are criminals, it's that those present at a funeral should not have to deal with such filth.

Smoke

Done here.
It's not that they are criminals, it's that those present at a funeral should not have to deal with such filth.

No, they shouldn't. Nobody should have to deal with the filth of religious homophobia, whether at a funeral or not. Nevertheless, we do have to deal with it, and there's no way around it until people can get past their ignorance and bigotry. You can't really legislate decency.

I find it interesting that the second you treat straight folks the way gay folks are treated, it's completely unacceptable to them. They're just absolutely ******* outraged. But it doesn't change a damned thing about the way gay folks are treated.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
No, they shouldn't. Nobody should have to deal with the filth of religious homophobia, whether at a funeral or not. Nevertheless, we do have to deal with it, and there's no way around it until people can get past their ignorance and bigotry. You can't really legislate decency.

I find it interesting that the second you treat straight folks the way gay folks are treated, it's completely unacceptable to them. They're just absolutely ******* outraged. But it doesn't change a damned thing about the way gay folks are treated.

:hug: You make a very valid point my friend.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You can't really legislate decency.
I thought it was in the other thread about this, the Free Speech/Hate Speech thread, but there was a link to a BBC article that I can't find. It seems to imply that many countries have legislated this, or at least have a system set up that would allow the victims to sue the offending party.

Just because another country is wrong doesn't mean we should incorporate that into American law. Those countries lack a Constitution with as broad a protection of speech as ours, and hundreds of years of free speech cases in a Supreme Court that have generally (though not always) interpreted speech protection in the broadest terms possible. America has held that a person doesn't have a right to be protected from offense by the coercive power of government; that a person's free expression is more than able to defend them from another.