• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Free Market

Shad

Veteran Member
I was having a conversation with someone about a free market and this person said...

The government in a free market protects it only from theft and murder and that’s it.

He says, he’s only talking about governments role in a free market.

Theres more to a free market then that. The people are doing things in the free market.

Thoughts

That is the contrast to regulated markets. He isn't wrong in that definition.

Audie

Veteran Member
Usually by fixing prizes. Sometimes by not competing in certain areas (The US is known for often having only one or two telcos at a given location.) Anything that prevents them from having to sell at the market equilibrium.
And of course by jointly bribing politicians to prevent regulation. The NRA is a prime example.
There are more ways to cooperate. When the government auctioned off air wave frequencies, they found a way to not bid against each other. That is all a logical result from Nash's game theory.

If you know of bribery it is your duty as a citizen
to do something about it. So...?

Heyo

Veteran Member
If you know of bribery it is your duty as a citizen
to do something about it. So...?
I'm not a citizen of the US of A. Also, I'm talking about the legal kind of bribery aka lobbying and campaign contributions.

Audie

Veteran Member
I'm not a citizen of the US of A. Also, I'm talking about the legal kind of bribery aka lobbying and campaign contributions.

I am not a citizen of the US either.

You did say "bribery", which is a serious crime.

Re campaign contributions, I guess the entire
US govt is by your figuring entirely run by
corruption?

And your opinion about the NRA -from
what distance formeth thou those?

Last edited:

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
The rule itself takes away freedom.

Heres the thing. In free market prediction, the lier who says these oranges cure cancer, he will lose business once people realize his oranges arent producing that result.

So, in a free market, its in business owners best interests to tell there costumers the truth.
Surely after all your time on Religious Forums you have learned by now that facts too often have very little to do with what people believe is the truth!

Heyo

Veteran Member
And your opinion about the NRA -from
what distance formeth thou those?
From the distance of my chair to US (indi) media on YouTube. (And verifying those news by other means every now and then.)

Audie

Veteran Member
From the distance of my chair to US (indi) media on YouTube. (And verifying those news by other means every now and then.)

Just wondering what country, as that seems to be
something that much affects a person's, you know,
objective opinions.

Why did you choose to call bribery, those legal
contributions such as are done by thousands
of organizations?

Audie

Veteran Member
The ACLU is now making campaign contributions? Source?

Do you ever check for yourself?

Also of course, that is a distraction from
the point of the question that you "answered"
with a question.

Some reason for the evasion?

Heyo

Veteran Member
Just wondering what country, as that seems to be
something that much affects a person's, you know,
objective opinions.
My opinions are entirely subjective. I'm from Germany and though it isn't so blatantly obvious, we also have bribery here.
Why did you choose to call bribery, those legal
contributions such as are done by thousands
of organizations?
When you give money to an representative who should work for an organization and you get something in return that is against the interests of that organization, it is called bribery. Bribery is not always illegal.

Given this definition, don't you think how elections work in the US is correctly called bribery?
And even if you don't agree to the definition, do you think that the system in the US is optimal?[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Audie

Veteran Member
My opinions are entirely subjective. I'm from Germany and though it isn't so blatantly obvious, we also have bribery here.

When you give money to an representative who should work for an organization and you get something in return that is against the interests of that organization, it is called bribery. Bribery is not always illegal.

Given this definition, don't you think how elections work in the US is correctly called bribery?
And even if you don't agree to the definition, do you think that the system in the US is optimal?
[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

I am sure every government on earth is corrupt.
If you dont care to say why the emphasis on one
organization, that's ok.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
His claim, his responsibility to substantiate the claim.

Yes.
Do you really doubt that the ACLU lobbies?
I thought this was so widely known that no link would be needed.
I once even belonged to them because of their advocacy & lobbying.

Btw, you never supported your claim that the NRA bribes politicians.
So perhaps you should start there before carping about my failures.