• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Free Market

Prometheus85

I was having a conversation with someone about a free market and this person said...

The government in a free market protects it only from theft and murder and that’s it.

He says, he’s only talking about governments role in a free market.

Theres more to a free market then that. The people are doing things in the free market.

Thoughts

leov

Governments have a lot of money invested in 'free' markets, they manipulated the markets big time.

I was having a conversation with someone about a free market and this person said...

The government in a free market protects it only from theft and murder and that’s it.

Theres more to a free market then that. The people are doing things in the free market.

Thoughts

I agree with that person you talked to. Thats how a free market is.

I agree. I believe people misuse the word "free"

No, there is no misuse of the word free.

The markets are not free today. But free market means something. It means free. Just because markets are not free today, dont mean the word free means not free.

Free still means FREE. Free from government control.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

Thoughts
The end result is an unfree market of monopolies or near monopolies. And without environmental regulation, the environment will be poisonous as it used to be. Without worker protection, companies will compete to screw their employees to increase profits.

So government has to counterbalance the destructive aspects of the marketplace. To ignore that is to ignore history.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

The markets are not free today. But free market means something. It means free. Just because markets are not free today, dont mean the word free means not free.

It could also mean freedom for companies to compete
with each other without governmental preference.
I advise some to stop arguing based upon some
strict, narrow, & extreme definition of "free".

The end result is an unfree market of monopolies or near monopolies. And without environmental regulation, the environment will be poisonous as it used to be. Without worker protection, companies will compete to screw their employees to increase profits.

So government has to counterbalance the destructive aspects of the marketplace. To ignore that is to ignore history.

Milton friedmon disagrees with you.

Its government giving favors to big business that cause them to become monopolies. Free the market and little vusiness competes better.

Heyo

Veteran Member
The idea of a "free market" rests on a false assumption. If corporations compete with each other, a free market works. But it is more profitable for them to cooperate. So they do. The only thing that prevents them from fleecing us all are anti trust legislations. (But they usually find a way around those.)

The idea of a "free market" rests on a false assumption. If corporations compete with each other, a free market works. But it is more profitable for them to cooperate. So they do. The only thing that prevents them from fleecing us all are anti trust legislations. (But they usually find a way around those.)

How do they cooperate?

Or that the control isn't overbearing.
Consider regulating auto emissions.
If all companies must meet the same standards,
I'd say this doesn't make the market un-free.

How doesnt it make the market un free? There still regulated. Thats the oposite of free.

PureX

Veteran Member
In a modern interdependent society such as our own, and such as in every modern nation on the planet, the only free markets left are the luxury markets. Because they are the only markets in which the buyer can still refuse to buy. So when you hear politicians and economists and whomever else talking about the glories of the "free market economy" they are blowing smoke up your arse. Because none of us is living in anything resembling a free market economy, anymore. We are all living in a captive market economy. And in a captive market system the priorities governing it are very different from that of a free market system.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
How doesnt it make the market un free? There still regulated. Thats the oposite of free.
Think of freedom as a continuum between the extremes.
The "free speech" analogy.
If the regulation, eg, no offering money to murder,
is reasonably unrestrictive, then we call it "free".

In a modern interdependent society such as our own, and such as in every modern nation on the planet, the only free markets left are the luxury markets. Because they are the only markets in which the buyer can still refuse to buy. So when you hear politicians and economists and whomever else talking about the glories of the "free market economy" they are blowing smoke up your arse. Because none of us is living in anything resembling a free market economy, anymore. We are all living in a captive market economy. And in a captive market system the priorities governing it are very different from that of a free market system.

Do you believe the market SHOULD be free?

Prometheus85

I believe your misusing the word "free"

You’re paralleling by that of its English synonym, liberty.

In economic terms it’s A "market" that is a physical or metaphysical space legally defined and policed by government, in which individuals and organisations exchange goods and services through the use of debt, barter, and currency. I’m other words, they can be as large in scale as an entire market-society or market world governed by many governments and private enterprises with many competing currencies and laws, or as small as a single family-household in which debts are rarely measured in currency and often forgiven.