• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Free guns for the homeless in Michigan? Amazing ideas......

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
This the idea of a Libertarian politician........... free pump action shotguns for the homeless:-

Read on folks........

US Senate candidate proposes arming homeless people with shotguns

A Michigan candidate for US Senate has proposed arming homeless people with pump-action shotguns in an effort to reduce crime.
Brian Ellison, who is running against Democratic incumbent Debbie Stabenow, says homeless people are “constantly victims of violent crime” and providing them with firearms would provide a deterrent.
Ellison, a Libertarian who is expected to be the party’s candidate in the November midterm election, said he had settled on pump-action shotguns for practicality purposes.
“Frankly I think the ideal weapon would be a pistol,” he told the Guardian, “but due to the licensing requirements in the state we’re going to have a hard enough time getting homeless people shotguns as it is.
“Getting them pistols is probably next to impossible. The pistols need to be registered, people have to have addresses.”
Carrying a concealed pistol is illegal without a permit, Ellison said, “whereas open-carrying a long gun is completely legal”.
“So we thought that pump-action shotguns were a suitable alternative to a pistol.”

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
For sure it will solve things.
1: Homeless are poor + guns .... I know I have a vivid imagination, but this is not so smart IMO
2: Armsdealers find new way to sell guns ... Supply/Demand ... I get it
3: Homeless won't be killed by kids on the street [but might be killed even more now]

At least it shows that America lost control of violence problem
It might be a good plan to have homeless eliminate each other
[I don't mean it is a good plan, but if someone wants them dead this might be the way]
I mean "one is poor and starving AND one got a gun from Trump"

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
So, where does this Libertarian propose the money to buy all these shotguns come from?
By getting rid of socialized (public) schools. But why stop there, issue shotguns to everyone without exception in the state as soon as they're old enough to pull the trigger.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

31Kyf25RraL.jpg

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
This the idea of a Libertarian politician........... free pump action shotguns for the homeless:-

Read on folks........

A Michigan candidate for US Senate has proposed arming homeless people with pump-action shotguns in an effort to reduce crime.
Brian Ellison, who is running against Democratic incumbent Debbie Stabenow, says homeless people are “constantly victims of violent crime” and providing them with firearms would provide a deterrent.
Ellison, a Libertarian who is expected to be the party’s candidate in the November midterm election, said he had settled on pump-action shotguns for practicality purposes.
“Frankly I think the ideal weapon would be a pistol,” he told the Guardian, “but due to the licensing requirements in the state we’re going to have a hard enough time getting homeless people shotguns as it is.
“Getting them pistols is probably next to impossible. The pistols need to be registered, people have to have addresses.”
Carrying a concealed pistol is illegal without a permit, Ellison said, “whereas open-carrying a long gun is completely legal”.
“So we thought that pump-action shotguns were a suitable alternative to a pistol.”
We'd already covered this in another thread.
The proposal wasn't serious, but rather to get attention.
It pays to investigate claims which sound outrageous.
Then one finds the real story.
You Limey anti-gun types will believe anything which is anti gun.

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
So, where does this Libertarian propose the money to buy all these shotguns come from?

Crowdfunding apparently...

“If your immediate reaction to this initiative was shock and horror, please take a moment to think about why. Is it because you see the homeless as unworthy of protection? Is it because you see the homeless as less than human?

“Vulnerable people need to be afforded the same opportunity to protect themselves as people who live in gated communities or have private (or public) security forces.”
US Senate candidate calls for homeless to be armed with shotguns

Thermos aquaticus

Goes to show how disconnected politicians are from reality. Mental illness is prevalent in the homeless community which doesn't make them the best group to be given guns.

Rational Agnostic

Read on folks........

Although it's somehow politically incorrect to point out, the majority of homeless people are mentally ill. Arming them is a very bad idea.

Audie

Veteran Member
Goes to show how disconnected politicians are from reality. Mental illness is prevalent in the homeless community which doesn't make them the best group to be given guns.

Or it goes to show how eager the B is to believe anything
negative about people who wont disarm to his taste and
spread fake news in the name of his ideology.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Hi.....

And I don't know where all the money would come from...... tax dollars?

But let's pretend that Michigan/the USA was overflowing in dollars, would it then be alright to hand out pump action shotguns to various folks..... :shrug:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
For sure it will solve things.
1: Homeless are poor + guns .... I know I have a vivid imagination, but this is not so smart IMO
2: Armsdealers find new way to sell guns ... Supply/Demand ... I get it
3: Homeless won't be killed by kids on the street [but might be killed even more now]

At least it shows that America lost control of violence problem
[I don't mean it is a good plan, but if someone wants them dead this might be the way]
I mean "one is poor and starving AND one got a gun from Trump"

Yes.... it is an unusual idea.
I begin to wonder how this initiative will be received by the majority of the voters in Michigan and the USA.....

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
By getting rid of socialized (public) schools. But why stop there, issue shotguns to everyone without exception in the state as soon as they're old enough to pull the trigger.

Would a Libertarian do away with Public Schools, though?
And I wonder how many cartridges each person would receive, and how often.... ?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

Well, it might help them to more easily rob the rich.

And any homeless person who didn't really want a gun anyway could flog it for a good dinner and a crate of beer.

Are homeless folks without an address empowered to vote in elections? Could this push up this guys hopes a little?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
We'd already covered this in another thread.
The proposal wasn't serious, but rather to get attention.
It pays to investigate claims which sound outrageous.
Then one finds the real story.
You Limey anti-gun types will believe anything which is anti gun.

You may have covered this before, but it seems that the interest has not completely dissolved away.....

Ah....! Got it! So this proposal was like a publicity stunt for attention? A kind of.... 'Here I am, folks, remember me because of this amazing but not really serious idea I dreamed up last night!'
How sensible! That's going to punch the old rating skywards.
Gosh, these professional politicians sure know how to show how balanced they are.......
I tell you, I never would have guessed that this bloke never meant a word of it.

Anti-gun nut? Me? I loved my pump action gun, I could throw half a pound of BB in a few seconds, with traverse and elevation, and much safer than with a great bulky punt-gun which could take charge and smash its way through the back of the punt.

But these homeless folks probably aren't wildfowlers, I'm guessing.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Crowdfunding apparently...

“If your immediate reaction to this initiative was shock and horror, please take a moment to think about why. Is it because you see the homeless as unworthy of protection? Is it because you see the homeless as less than human?

“Vulnerable people need to be afforded the same opportunity to protect themselves as people who live in gated communities or have private (or public) security forces.”
US Senate candidate calls for homeless to be armed with shotguns

Ah Ha! So instead of providing sheltered accommodation and rehabilitation for homeless, this politician was just thinking of dishing out guns to homeless, as part of his 'I really care' message?

OK........ got it! ....... at last..... :p

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

Well..... I was beginning to think that mental illness could possibly be prevalent amongst some groups of politicians, as well.

This idea could certainly put this candidate's own application for a firearm into jeopardy, I'm thinking.... in any mental health review during a gun licence application.