1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FREE downloadable religious texts & searchable concocrdance

Discussion in 'Religious Books and Scriptures' started by BruceDLimber, Mar 23, 2006.

1. BruceDLimber

BruceDLimber Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +221
    [I'm echoing a friend's post of this here as many of you in this forum might like to get this.]

This might be of interest to many of you:

Free Downloadable Online Library of the World's Religious Scriptures,
    with searchable concordance.

http://www.bahai-education.org/ocean/

here is what it says on the home page...

Ocean is a free collection of the World's Religious literature managed by a unique book-centered research engine. It contains over 1000 books of 10 world religions in English as well as collections in six other languages (French, Spanish, German, Russian, Dutch, and Portuguese). If you have a slow internet connection, don't despair. We will happily mail you a CD at cost anywhere on the planet!
    Our purpose in giving away Ocean is to promote amity among religions through greater understanding. It is our belief that the actual teachings of the various religions are not so different as some people would have us believe. True, religions have been used by power-hungry leaders as a tool to divide people. But eventually people will get tired of formulaes of hate and begin to ask "what do the scriptures really say?" What they will find is shocking: the core message of all the world's religious writings is the same: ethical integrity, honesty, sincerity, compassion, tolerance and non-violence. No kidding! It's hard to accept this in a world filled with "religious" bigotry and hatred -- but just look for yourself!

Enjoy! :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Daibhidh

Daibhidh Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Well this certainly sounds fascinating!

Unfortunatley, I am one who falls into the category of having a slow computer. But am going to try my best to kick it into action in the name of such a resource!

Thankyou for pointing it out.

3. evearael

evearael Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +744
    I'm there! As soon as I can scrap together the funds...

4. 9harmony

9harmony Member

Ratings:
    +45
    Good news! Ocean is now also available as a web-based version, no download required!
    http://BahaiResearch.com
    It includes more languages including Persian, Arabic, Japanese, etc.

5. stech1

stech1 New Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Great resource! Thank you for the link!

6. ChrisP

ChrisP Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +871
    Tis a nice resource, was a little disappointed after d/l it though. Seems the texts are only partial. But it is great for introductory reading!!!

7. Popeyesays

Popeyesays Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475
    Everything contained in Ocean is complete. It may be missing documents entirely, but nothing is in itself incomplete or abridged. I think it should have some other versions of the Bible, for instance - but the whole King James is there.

Regards,
    Scott

8. michel

michel Administrator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,658
    Sounds very useful, thank you for the link. Can one also download another pair of eyes and another brain?

9. ChrisP

ChrisP Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +871
    Only up to the 36th section of the Tao te Ching (there's 81)... or maybe it's just the copy that ended up on me PC

10. GloriaPatri

GloriaPatri Active Member

Ratings:
    +45
    Ah, it only has the King James Bible.

11. Booko

Booko Deviled Hen

Ratings:
    +1,380
    I only noriced a few days ago that the Tenach is lumped in with "Christian" texts and there's no separate entry for Judaism. :( I guess I should email the guy in charge, eh?

12. BruceDLimber

BruceDLimber Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +221
    Not only that, but if you didn't change the spelling, I'm pretty sure that also needs corrected:

As I recall, it's TANACH.

Cheers!

Bruce

13. Booko

Booko Deviled Hen

Ratings:
    +1,380
    I've seen it spelled both ways. Welcome to transliteration systems?