• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Free Course on Humanism

Altfish

Veteran Member
I've not signed up for this yet but plan to, so I can't comment on how good/bad it is.
It seems like a really good resource for Humanists and those wishing to better understand Humanism.

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/introducing-humanism

What topics will you cover?
  • The humanist understanding of human beings: our nature, capacities, and responsibilities
  • How humanists answer questions about the world (science, reason, scepticism) and the consequences for a humanist understanding of reality
  • A humanist approach to making life meaningful and the value of individual freedom
  • The origins and evolution of morality and a humanist perspective on how to be good
  • The humanist vision for society (secularism, freedoms, and human rights) and the motivations behind their goals
  • Different definitions of humanism, its history, and its diversity

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
That does look interesting.

One of the teachers gives
"Experienced TV producer, primary school teacher, and practitioner in philosophy for children."
as part of his background. That would be a cool endeavor. :)
Tom

Cherub786

Humanism is illogical to me. I have never identified nor thought of myself as a "human being". Being human is incidental, not a basis for identity. Strong identity is constructed in contrast to something to differentiate from another. Humanism ignores so many fundamental differences that are irreconcilable among humans and pushes toward erasing those differences which is not only unnatural but also malicious. Ironically the greatest failure of humanism is the failure to understand the human condition and human nature.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Humanism is illogical to me. I have never identified nor thought of myself as a "human being". Being human is incidental, not a basis for identity. Strong identity is constructed in contrast to something to differentiate from another. Humanism ignores so many fundamental differences that are irreconcilable among humans and pushes toward erasing those differences which is not only unnatural but also malicious. Ironically the greatest failure of humanism is the failure to understand the human condition and human nature.
Have any evidence for such a statement?