• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fred Flintstone would love this: Anyone hungry for a mammoth burger?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

A meatball that is mostly mammoth meat has been created in the lab. They took mammoth DNA, filled in missing parts with elephant DNA, and put the result in a sheep stem cell. That was grown to make "mammoth meat".

At first I rejected this headline, but then I thought about it and realized that it is much easier to merely make meat than to clone an entire animal. The company behind this plans to do the same with other possible sources.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It may be possible in the not very distant future. Animal cruelty is always a concern when it comes to meat. If one is merely growing cells in a lab that problem goes away. And though there are ethical problems with cloning a mammoth, there should not be any in just growing mammoth meat.

They are actually back breeding the Aurochs. There are several bovine breeds with aurochs dna. Selective breeding, they are up to the 4th generation and say they should have an animal as close to the aurochs by the 7th or 8th generation by 2025/6. See the Tauros program

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

A meatball that is mostly mammoth meat has been created in the lab. They took mammoth DNA, filled in missing parts with elephant DNA, and put the result in a sheep stem cell. That was grown to make "mammoth meat".

At first I rejected this headline, but then I thought about it and realized that it is much easier to merely make meat than to clone an entire animal. The company behind this plans to do the same with other possible sources.

Well, that might be the future of meat, since raising cattle, chickens, and pigs has had a deleterious effect on the environment. By cloning meat, we could still enjoy a delicious burger or juicy steak without harming the environment or killing any animals.

Though there might still be mishaps.

flintstones-fred.gif

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
Aleph Farms in Israel has been cloning steak for awhile now. I don't know what their level of consumer supply is yet:

"Enjoying meat no longer needs to come at the expense of nature, but because of it. We’re reimagining our food systems, one slaughter-free, net zero steak at a time." Quoted from website.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
I don't think that they will be able to go that far back. You can still take solace in the fact that every time that you are eating chicken you are also eating dinosaur meat.
No solace at all! Who wants to be a like a stupid chicken, when I could be a like a wonderful pterodactyl with it's huge spread wings and sharp toothy beak to grab people I don't like! Can't you just see me cruising over Washington DC keeping my eye on things? There would be changes, be sure of that!