• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Frats and Sororities

Watchmen

Premium Member
So there was a fraternity and sorority out on campus at the university my daughter attends. She said they were doing “bra-pong” and “shirtless dunking,” whatever those are. She said, “I hate fraternity/sorority culture. Uhhh...this is a school, not a whorehouse.” She also said, “Not to be SJW but they’re perpetuating gender roles and stereotypes and objectifying themselves on purpose. Can’t relate.”

Do you feel like her (can’t relate), or do you feel differently (can relate)? I don’t consider myself a prude, but I was never a fan of fraternity or sorority culture either. I think these organizations are a good source for establishing friendships, especially for students coming from away, but why the “bra-pong” etc.? I guess I can’t relate.

sooda

Veteran Member
So there was a fraternity and sorority out on campus at the university my daughter attends. She said they were doing “bra-pong” and “shirtless dunking,” whatever those are. She said, “I hate fraternity/sorority culture. Uhhh...this is a school, not a whorehouse.” She also said, “Not to be SJW but they’re perpetuating gender roles and stereotypes and objectifying themselves on purpose. Can’t relate.”

Do you feel like her (can’t relate), or do you feel differently (can relate)? I don’t consider myself a prude, but I was never a fan of fraternity or sorority culture either. I think these organizations are a good source for establishing friendships, especially for students coming from away, but why the “bra-pong” etc.? I guess I can’t relate.

Support your daughter.. She's right. Perhaps another school.

Skwim

Veteran Member
So there was a fraternity and sorority out on campus at the university my daughter attends. She said they were doing “bra-pong” and “shirtless dunking,” whatever those are.

hpavone_12783887_1658990634350255_2090783942_nresize.jpg
0a6fb077059f0dfcc4d4785da040218d--alumni-homecoming-dunk-tank.jpg

Pretty mild and harmless if you ask me. (Google is your friend)

She said, “I hate fraternity/sorority culture. Uhhh...this is a school, not a whorehouse.”
Given to a bit of hyperbole perhaps?

Do you feel like her (can’t relate), or do you feel differently (can relate)?
No relating involved, just understanding.

David1967

Premium Member

I don't like sororities or their culture. I'm far too independent. The first attempt at hazing would not go well.

Jumi

When I was in uni I never went to any of those. There were at least two frats that were part of a recruiting efforts for religious extreme groups.

Katja

I just never felt the need to belong to such a thing that required that kind of foolishness. I prefer to keep my independence and dignity.

Precisely. I once had to interview the "director of Greek life" for the school paper and she tried to sell me some song and dance about "but the people in the 'greek societies' are great friends, they're friends after college, etc." But... I had friends who I had fun with, they were there for me, we kept in touch after college, etc. etc. Except, they didn't make me jump through at-best-ridiculous and at-worst-harmful hoops to 'earn' the privilege of being their friend... we were friends because wanted to be, not because we went through weird rituals.