• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Franken Resigns

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
When you read the claims there are only a few that are pretty unseemly. Did any of them report to police what had happened? Did police investigate? Etc....
If you were to walk up to me right now, in this building without cameras, and grab my privates, how would I prove it to the police? Imo sexual misconduct happens so frequently in part because it leaves no physical evidence most of the time. Which is not to say there shouldn't be investigation, there absolutely should, but Trumps case is about as evident as it's ever going to get. If someone think this is the right call for Franken but not Trump I think they need some self searching.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I'm more than willing to let the courts decide. We are, after all, not privy to all the details.
I would love for that to happen and perhaps it will. That's if we're talking about putting a man in jail.

If we're talking about a person resigning from their public service job, then I think there's enough information available to draw a fairly reasonable conclusion.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Can we name names here? Besides the apologetic Franken, who else deserves a second chance because he apologized for bad behavior as a young man?
Let's look at the big fish Trump, then.

He denies all the allegations. Of course, he is lying. What can be done about it if he can't be proven to have done anything criminal? Impeachment seems a little strong for these claims. It is just a factor that we need to keep in mind when forming our opinion of him and when deciding whether or not to vote for him.

Nous

Premium Member
I think one thing that shouldn't be overlooked about the recent spate of allegations of sexual assault is that in each case there were multiple apparently independent persons who came forward with allegations. None of these cases rests on a single accuser.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
What does that have to do with anything???? I can't name Franken's accusers. So he didn't do anything wrong? I don't get it.

The heck you can't. Leeann Tweeden, Lindsey Menz, et al. The point here is that there is REAL evidence against Franken, but only speculation against others.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Let's look at the big fish Trump, then.

He denies all the allegations. Of course, he is lying. What can be done about it if he can't be proven to have done anything criminal? Impeachment seems a little strong for these claims. It is just a factor that we need to keep in mind when forming our opinion of him and when deciding whether or not to vote for him.

See above..

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The heck you can't. Leeann Tweeden, Lindsey Menz, et al. The point here is that there is REAL evidence against Franken, but only speculation against others.
If someone could name Trump's accusers but not Franken's you'd most likely call that confirmation bias. But more importantly, being more in public memory or public eye is not indicative of guilt or innocence. There is the same evidence for both: several accusations by women and one admission of guilt.

esmith

Veteran Member
Good riddance to bad rubbish.
Of course his comedic attributes goes well with some of his fellow Democrats.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Meanwhile, a GOP candidate has been accused of pedophilia running in Alabama
Two things, the first is a minor semantic issue that only concerns me as a psychologist. Moore is in fact not accused of pedophilia, rather hebephilia and ephebophilia.

The second is that Franken has admitted wrongdoing and had physical evidence showing his actions in full display. Moore has a series of unevidenced accusations.

Unfortunately for those seeking a sort of justice for possible bad acts, he can also throw the circus show that is Gloria Allred bringing a liar with doctored evidence on national television in his detractors' faces. This will merely confirm for Moore supporters the bias they already believed exists and insulate them from having to determine the veracity of every claimant.

Altfish

Veteran Member
He's done the right thing.

If only others would too. At least the Dems can claim the high moral ground in any future arguments.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
He's done the right thing.

If only others would too. At least the Dems can claim the high moral ground in any future arguments.
Maybe now but not in the past. Not condemning the Dem's just making a statement.
Taking the high ground should be easy and is bipartisan... just don't sexually assault people! What a concept, right? Let's hope this gets better.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If all the politicians with a history of licentiousness or unfaithfulness resigned, the only person on the floor of the senate might be the janitor (and I suspect he's been fooling around, as well).

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
High testosterone levels produce alpha males (or vice versa). Politicians tend to be alpha males. Testosterone drives both political rapacity and libido.
Baboon Study Shows Why High Social Status Boosts Health | TIME.com
Who'll Be the Alpha Male? Ask the Hormones
As a counterpoint (yes it's comedy but also cited)
Why alpha males don't exist in humans (or wolves for that matter).
And some additional reading material:
SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class journal research
Do alpha males even exist? | Dean Burnett

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Nope. Locker talk and having a picture of you being sleazy are two different things.
They certainly are. One is photographic evidence of you being a sleazebag, the other is audio evidence of you being a sleazebag.

I'm not trying to exonerate Trump, I'm just saying he--or anybody--is not guilty just because you want him to be.
So you do accept the audio recording of him admitting to using his power to grope women as an admission that he groped women?

Last edited: