• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Frank Zappa - 50 years on

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
'He was a musical warlock': reflecting on Frank Zappa's greatest album at 50

Though Frank Zappa released no fewer than 62 albums in his too-short life – and though nearly as many sets have appeared since his death from prostate cancer at age 53 in 1993 – none sound quite like Hot Rats. It’s a work of such imagination, humor and freedom, it could appeal to a child as easily as it could a stoner, a rocker, or a fan of the avant garde. Zappa’s first true solo album, Hot Rats introduced new recording techniques, melded previously segregated styles, and even presaged a new musical genre. It also broke with the structure of previous Zappa releases. It resonated with progressive rock fans in a way no other Zappa album has, earning generous FM radio play while sending it into the UK top 10, boosted by one of the most recognizable instrumental tracks of the psychedelic era, Peaches En Regalia.

Ah, who doesn't just love Peaches En Regalia?

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
I heard Frank and The Mothers play in Sydney in 1976 (I think). An amazing gig. I learned at that time that he rehearsed his band four hours per day while they were touring. He was a true genius, political activist, humanist and a gentleman.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Great guy, but not one I'd listen to.
Except for the dental floss tycon song....that one really spoke to me.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
He was my #1 when I was in college back in the dark ages when the dinosaurs roamed the Earth. "Call any vegetable" "Susie Creamcheese..." "Help I'm a rock". Those are still with me decades later.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I heard Frank and The Mothers play in Sydney in 1976 (I think). An amazing gig. I learned at that time that he rehearsed his band four hours per day while they were touring. He was a true genius, political activist, humanist and a gentleman.

I think I only saw him (and the Mothers) play once, at the Bath Festival in 1970. Good job I still have the programme as otherwise I can't remember a lot - apart from sleeping in my van. Lots' of great American groups came over as well as Zappa - Jefferson Airplane, Canned Heat, Santana, Hot Tuna, Country Joe, etc. I should have more of Zappa's stuff really but alas my taste seemed to vary widely then without pursuing many so much. He certainly must have influenced many though.

PureX

Veteran Member
I saw Zappa in my small hometown (in a college gym) back in '74 but the crowd was rowdy and he kept having to stop playing to settle them down. He never came back. Later, no one was interested in his music when I went to undergrad school in Virginia, but when I went on to Chicago for grad school in 82 he was VERY popular among the art students, there. But by then I was more interested in being able to see real Chicago blues legends in their home clubs.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Pretty much before my time but i would listen (and like) my dads vinyl Hot Rats and 200 Motels during my early teen years.

At college and university the student venues i visited played his music quite a lot.

Methinks i should have been born 20 years earlier.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
Pretty much before my time but i would listen (and like) my dads vinyl Hot Rats and 200 Motels during my early teen years.

At college and university the student venues i visited played his music quite a lot.

Methinks i should have been born 20 years earlier.

Centerville...a real nice place to raise your kids up o_O