• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fox News Satire Show

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
O'Reilly and Hannity are offensive.
Drew Carey is funny.
This is neither funny nor offensive.

Believe what you want, RFX. I won't hold you to your stereotypes.

PureX

Veteran Member
I had to laugh at O'Rielly on 60 Minutes the other night. The truth is that O'Rielly doesn't really care about anything. He really just LOVES being a prick, and he doesn't really care what the subject is, or what side of it he's on. The only reason he tends to be on the conservative side these days is because that's what his audience wants, and all O'Rielly wants is to be as big and loud a prick as he can be. And FOX TV lets him do that in spades.

O'Rielly is the quintessential blowhard. Just like Rush Limbaugh. Neither one of them could care less about the actual issues, and neither one of them have a moral bone in their body. They're driven by their own egos to be professional antagonists, and they care about nothing else. Their faux ideological outrage is just another excuse to play the intellectual bullyboy for the fun and gratification of the crowd, and they love every minute of it. They live for it.

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
Doesn't anyone ever get embarrassed by their hate-for-everyone-that-disagrees-with-them perspective? The bias here is absolutely hysterical. But this is why I think this show will do well. People are tired of dealing with liberals in the media. Whenever a successful forum is developed, people will want a conservative-safe atmosphere. Not one controlled by hate and fear.

PureX

Veteran Member
Radio Frequency X said:
Doesn't anyone ever get embarrassed by their hate-for-everyone-that-disagrees-with-them perspective? The bias here is absolutely hysterical. But this is why I think this show will do well. People are tired of dealing with liberals in the media. Whenever a successful forum is developed, people will want a conservative-safe atmosphere. Not one controlled by hate and fear.
Dude, you need a new mirror.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Radio Frequency X said:
People are tired of dealing with liberals in the media. Whenever a successful forum is developed, people will want a conservative-safe atmosphere. Not one controlled by hate and fear.

Theologyonline.com

Check it out and tell me we liberals control with fear and hate.

If people are tired of liberals in the media, they can always live by their own principles of supply and demand. It just so happens that people like liberal television. Also, you're asking a predominately liberal forum to comment on a conservative show that even you said was without the funny. What were you expecting?

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Radio Frequency X said:

What bias are you talking about?

I'm still wondering where you get the assumption that because a moderate/libertarian doesn't think Rush is funny, that means that liberals have no sense of humor, and now hate conservatives. Can you just explain how you made that connection before you go any further?

Flappycat

So they're laughing at him because...he's an amazingly successful politician? I guess they didn't notice the guy's tendency to speak in generalities, focus a bit too much more on ideals than ideas, and probably several other perfectly valid criticisms they could make of the dude. I guess they also didn't get the news that the mama he loves so much was not only an atheist but, in Obama's own half-joking words, "the last liberal secular humanist." If I had to take a guess, the bloke himself is as likely as not to be a closet agnostic, but that's another subject. With innumerable different chances for scorn fodder, though, they chose to laugh at him because he is good at selling himself? The only thing that I can make of it is that they weren't actually trying to drag Obama himself through the mud as to poke fun at how hyped a lot of Dems have gotten over him so quickly, how unflinchingly the Dems accepted that he fooled around with drugs as a kid, etcetera. If they were really out to damage Obama, they did a pretty poor job of it. It just showed he has what it takes to win and that he has a knack for saving face when he hits a sour note. I guess they just wanted a chuckle.

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
MaddLlama said:
What bias are you talking about?

I'm still wondering where you get the assumption that because a moderate/libertarian doesn't think Rush is funny, that means that liberals have no sense of humor, and now hate conservatives. Can you just explain how you made that connection before you go any further?

It's just that liberals love mocking conservatives and they think that making fun of conservatives and conservative issues is hysterical. It's the hate and bitterness behind it that I find funny. I mean, can't you seen the hypocrisy there? Or am I the only one?

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Radio Frequency X said:
It's just that liberals love mocking conservatives and they think that making fun of conservatives and conservative issues is hysterical. It's the hate and bitterness behind it that I find funny. I mean, can't you seen the hypocrisy there? Or am I the only one?

Sure, I see it, but not in this thread, and not about the show that this thread is about. Nobody said the show was offensive, so the topic you're going off on is, well, off topic.

But, you also have to remember it works both ways - conservatives love mocking liberals as much as liberals love mocking conservatives. Why else are those two terms thrown out as if they're horribly offensive insults.

Do you expect there not to be hate and bitterness when you pit one extreme against the other?

Flappycat

Radio Frequency X said:
It's just that liberals love mocking conservatives and they think that making fun of conservatives and conservative issues is hysterical.
No. Actual progressives prefer to find and pursue something worth believing in. Actual liberals prefer to be peacemakers and to build bridges. When one forgets these ideals, one is no longer a liberal or a progressive.

It's the hate and bitterness behind it that I find funny. I mean, can't you seen the hypocrisy there? Or am I the only one?
Yeah. I actually do think it's pretty counter-productive for liberals to take shots back at conservatives. To engage in it eventually allows for the triumph of the evil it represents. This is what makes it possible for conservatives to win.

Booko

Deviled Hen
MaddLlama said:

Put me down for wanting an answer to this question as well.

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
Flappycat said:
No. Actual progressives prefer to find and pursue something worth believing in. Actual liberals prefer to be peacemakers and to build bridges. When one forgets these ideals, one is no longer a liberal or a progressive.

Yeah. I actually do think it's pretty counter-productive for liberals to take shots back at conservatives. To engage in it eventually allows for the triumph of the evil it represents. This is what makes it possible for conservatives to win.

But isn't that, comparatively with this show, what the Daily Show is all about. Most of it is taking shots of conservative leaders, conservative "values" (if you can call it that) and conservative politics. I mean, I find a lot of funny, because satire is one of my favorite forms of humor. But, I just wish the Daily Show had more balance. The reason why it doesn't, is in my opinion, because liberals (or the liberals that I am acquainted with) can't laugh at themselves and are offended by anything that disagrees with their political philosophies. This is just my experience and I fear I made it the issue of the thread (I shouldn't have).

It's just that a certain expectation of mine was met, so I commented on it.

Satire should be fun and come from a kind of ironic and sarcastic place. It stops being funny once its predicated in a bitter and hateful, or even resentful, attitude toward the subject matter. To most liberals, I'm a conservative because I don't like big government. So they treat me the way they treat conservatives, which is pretty bad. The two groups of people that have treated me the worst are liberals and Christians, simply because I wasn't one of them. And so I do enjoy balance in the media and feel relaxed, not having to wait for the next bitter punchline.

ch'ang

artist in training
The only line in the enitre clip that even made me so much as smile was when they said Barrack Hussien Obama's nickname in college was gasy, dont know if the connection was intentional or not but Saddam Hussien was acussed of using mustard gas on Kurds in the northern part of Iraq.

cturne

servant of God
MaddLlama said:
I never said I thought the show was offensive. I just said it wasn't very funny. Just like I don't think Emo Phillips or Howard Stern are very funny.

You don't think Emo Phillips is funny? OMG I had a tape of him years ago that just had me ROFLOL!!! My son came across it just recently and he thought it was hilarious too! Howard Stern, OTOH, does not make me laugh either. It just goes to show that everyone has different tastes in humor.

standing_on_one_foot

I dunno. I have my suspicions that it will work out like Air America. Has potential, but when you're trying that hard to be a [fill in political leaning here] response to something, it often doesn't seem to work so well. But kudos to them if it does work out.

Only, really, when I heard about one of their sketches, I must admit the thought of Rush and Coulter as president and vice president terrifies me. Particularly Coulter, after I looked through her books the other day...

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
standing_on_one_foot said:
I dunno. I have my suspicions that it will work out like Air America. Has potential, but when you're trying that hard to be a [fill in political leaning here] response to something, it often doesn't seem to work so well. But kudos to them if it does work out.

Only, really, when I heard about one of their sketches, I must admit the thought of Rush and Coulter as president and vice president terrifies me. Particularly Coulter, after I looked through her books the other day...

I love Rush and I find Coulter to be hysterical - but only because I don't take her seriously. I think she says insane things in order to get attention, in order to sell her books, in order to make money. And I'm all for people making money. So, frubles for Coulter! :)

Flappycat

Radio Frequency X said:
But isn't that, comparatively with this show, what the Daily Show is all about. Most of it is taking shots of conservative leaders, conservative "values" (if you can call it that) and conservative politics. I mean, I find a lot of funny, because satire is one of my favorite forms of humor. But, I just wish the Daily Show had more balance. The reason why it doesn't, is in my opinion, because liberals (or the liberals that I am acquainted with) can't laugh at themselves and are offended by anything that disagrees with their political philosophies. This is just my experience and I fear I made it the issue of the thread (I shouldn't have).
Well, what do you consider "liberal philosophies"?

Satire should be fun and come from a kind of ironic and sarcastic place. It stops being funny once its predicated in a bitter and hateful, or even resentful, attitude toward the subject matter.
Yes. Liberals really should learn to take a more serious tone when discussing issues that cause them anger. If it is causing us a sense of bitterness, it is nothing to make jokes about.

To most liberals, I'm a conservative because I don't like big government.
This doesn't keep you from being a liberal, though. Giuliani, for example, could possibly be counted as a liberal. He doesn't support progressive liberalism, but he tends to strike me as a liberal politician at heart.

PureX

Veteran Member
I don't like talk radio shows like Howard Stern's because they're stupid and mean-spirited. I don't enjoy seeing people humiliate themselves, or being humiliated by others. And I don't find that funny at all. In fact, I find it repulsive. Yet some people really think these things are hilarious, and they love Howard Stern's show.

I can't stand watching Bill O'Rielly because to me he's just a blowhard and a bully, and I find nothing funny or entertaining about watching him try to humiliate other people just to puff up his own ego. Yet some folks love watching him "rip apart" a guest, and get a cheap vicarious thrill from it, even.

I never thought comedians like Don Rickles, or Jerry Lewis; who insulted other people for laughs, were funny, either. I always felt bad for the people they insulted and angry at them for being such arrogant jerks. Yet some people found them hilarious, and they were well-accepted comedians all their lives.

It's not that liberals don't have a sense of humor. It's just that they tend not to find the more vicious insults and slander that seems to entertain such a large conservative audience these days, funny. I think they don't find it funny because basically, it's not funny. It's just nasty, and ugly, and mean-spirited. And I don't understand why conservatives are so drawn to that crap.