• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Founding fathers, the US was founded on Christianity, and a list of non-Christian founding fathers

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how the 10 Commandments and the 10 Amendments have more in common than just a number. They actually seem to contradict each other. "Thou shalt have no other gods before me" on one side and "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..." God's 10 say "Thou shalt not bear false witness" the Founders 10 says "No person...shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself." And then there are all the ones that are not comparable, parallel to, or even opposites of. The Bill of Rights does not mandate we honor our parents, and the 10 Commandments say nothing of troop quartering or jury trials.

FunctionalAtheist

Hammer of Reason
I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how the 10 Commandments and the 10 Amendments have more in common than just a number. They actually seem to contradict each other. "Thou shalt have no other gods before me" on one side and "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..." God's 10 say "Thou shalt not bear false witness" the Founders 10 says "No person...shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself." And then there are all the ones that are not comparable, parallel to, or even opposites of. The Bill of Rights does not mandate we honor our parents, and the 10 Commandments say nothing of troop quartering or jury trials.

What they have most in common is that the individuals who invoke them the most passionatly have the least understanding of either.

Triumphant_Loser

Libertarian Egalitarian
Where did Deism and Unitarianism originate?

The concept of Deism can probably be traced all the way back to Aristotle, and his idea of an "unmoved mover" god, but if you are talking about modern-day Deism, then it came from those who left organized religion (mainly Christianity), but retained the belief in a deity. Just like Christianity came from Judaism, but is not Judaism.