• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Forza Italia and other right wing parties play politics whilst Venice Floods

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
League...u mean...Venice and Veneto are governed by the League...

(Berlusconi has barely the 6%)

Stanyon

WWMRD?
-Doesn't seem like approving the bill would have stopped this
-It flooded 53 years ago
- It is called Lagoon city

"I just got back from Venice and boy are my arms tired"
- Comicus (Standup Philosopher and Bulls**t artist ~ 60 A.D.)

Altfish

Veteran Member
-Doesn't seem like approving the bill would have stopped this
-It flooded 53 years ago
- It is called Lagoon city

"I just got back from Venice and boy are my arms tired"
- Comicus (Standup Philosopher and Bulls**t artist ~ 60 A.D.)
It's CLIMATE change not WEATHER change, it is flooding much more regularly.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
It's CLIMATE change not WEATHER change, it is flooding much more regularly.

Since you wanted to politicize this as a left and right thing what do you make of Giorgio Orsoni who apparently represented a centre-left stance and his corruption scandal?

It seems it comes full circle, from 2014

"ROME — The Italian authorities on Wednesday arrested the mayor of Venice and more than 30 others in a political corruption case linked to the city’s multibillion dollar flood-protection project. The arrests came only weeks after investigators revealed an embarrassing corruption scandal involving projects for next year’s Milan Expo.
Mayor Giorgio Orsoni of Venice was placed under house arrest on Wednesday morning on charges that he misused public funds from a project to build underwater barriers to protect the ancient city. Investigators also arrested a number of other elected officials in the Venice region and were seeking the arrest of a member of the lower house of Parliament."

"For years, controversy and debate have surrounded Venice’s flood-control plan, known as the Moses project. Work began more than a decade ago on an intricate system of offshore dams intended to protect Venice from the rising waters that threaten to inundate the lagoon city. Environmentalists and others have opposed the project, while supporters say that the dams will provide essential protection against flooding."

source:
Venice Mayor Is Arrested on Corruption Charges - The New York Times

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I decided to do some research and found this that I think is accurate:

SEA LEVELS RISE, GROUND LEVELS SINK

The sea level around Venice has been rising steadily for decades, a phenomenon which has been accelerated by climate change. The mean sea level is now estimated to be more than 20 cm higher than it was a century ago.

At the same time, the city’s ground level has been gradually sinking, by an estimated one millimeter a year, owing to the soft and shifting geological terrain on which its foundations are built. That was made worse over decades by local industries around Venice pumping groundwater from the acquifer under the lagoon until they were forbidden to do so in the 1970s.

So climate change so far as contributed to the problem as has other forces. The proposal that the OP talks about is a more general set of items to address climate change but would not directly and immediately help Venice. Still, there is a political aspect to right-wing parties opposing measures to mitigate the rise in CO2 and other greenhouse gasses.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Just like Nero with his fiddle whilst Rome burned, the Italian right wing appear to be taking ostrich measures regarding climate change ...

Venice council flooded moments after rejecting climate crisis plan
To be fair, that is to be expected.

The very nature of the right wing is one of denial of the necessity of change and planning ahead. That is where they get their votes from, and that is why we all must rise above their fear and do better than they expect.

Notanumber

A Free Man
The Left are using Climate Change to implement Social Change.

Marxists will use anything, including children, to de-capitalise the West.