• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FORTY rapists a year are escaping jail sentences

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2127194,00.html

The Times

40 rapists get away with just a caution

By Richard Ford, Home Correspondent
trans.gif
FORTY rapists a year are escaping jail sentences and instead are allowed to walk free with a caution, reprimand or final warning after admitting sex attacks on men and women.
Senior police officers, women’s groups and academics who have investigated the way that rape is dealt with by police and the justice system last night expressed surprise at the figure. Chief police officers said that as far as they were concerned rape was not an offence suitable for a caution.
NI_MPU('middle');The women’s groups and experts on rape called on the police and Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) to provide details of cases in which cautions have been given rather than a full trial taking place.
Jennifer Tempkin, Professor of Law at the University of Sussex and an expert on the law on rape, said she had never known of a rape case resulting in a caution. “Some of these cases may be justified, but we just do not know anything about it,” she said. “Some explanation would be useful so we can all be sure that cautioning is being used properly. Forty cases of cautioning for rape in a year is a not insubstantial figure.”
The number of people cautioned for rape has more than doubled in a decade. Cautioning for rape has risen at a time when the rate of conviction for rape has fallen from one in thirteen reported cases in 1999 to one in twenty in 2004. More than half of rapists were current or former partners or boyfriends.
Latest figures show that in 1994, nineteen people were cautioned for rape, but by 2004 Home Office statistics disclose that the number had risen to forty, comprising thirty-six males and one woman cautioned for raping a female and three males for raping another male. When Labour came to power in 1997, the figure was twenty-six, comprising twenty-three men cautioned for raping a woman and three men for raping another male.
The overall figures for cautions include final warnings and reprimands which since 2000 have been used to deal with young offenders under 17. Like a caution, they involve individuals admitting their guilt.
In 2004 cautions were given to: nine boys aged 12 and under 15 who admitted raping a female; eleven boys aged 15 and under 18; three males aged 18 and under 21; and sixteen to males aged 21 and over. In the same year a further 751 people were convicted in court of rape, only 5.29 per cent of rapes reported to police.
Despite concern in Whitehall at the fall in convictions to a record low, the CPS was able to give only one example of a caution being used. A CPS spokesman said: “Cautioning is only used in very extreme circumstances and is not a decision that is taken lightly.” Last night the Association of Chief Police Officers said that it had never heard of a case where a caution was given for a rape. It said: “Our guidance is that rape is excluded as an offence for which a caution is available.”

Faint

That was interesting. I wonder what the truth of it is? Are UK authorities really telling rapists, "Well, you messed up...try not to do it again"? That's stupid.

In other news, we have our own problem with this in Southern Cali--The O.C. city of Irvine got in trouble for ignoring thousands of rape cases. Women would report a rape to the police. The police would put the file away where it gathered dust. The reason was that Irvine had such a great, "safe", upscale reputation that they didn't want high numbers of rape reports to tarnish the city's image. Meanwhile, rapists run around to commit more crimes, and the girls never see justice. Equally stupid.

evearael

I'm not surprised. Rape is vastly underreported. Rapists rarely go to trail. Rapists get out of jail time. Do you see a pattern? This society, for some ungodly reason, brutalizes the survivors that manage to come forward, belittles the physical, psychological, and emotional damage of the survivor, and then goes out of its way to avoid inconveniencing the rapist with jail time. It's like social darwinism... If you got raped, you are weak, thus deserved it. If you come forward, you admit you were weak enough to get raped, thus deserved it. If you complain of any after effects, you are weak, thus deserve it. If you are actually the perpetrator, you were the aggressor, thus not weak and deserving no punishment.

literal visionary

Did you hear the story about, the 3 women in US getting revenge on the child molester? the cucumber one?

It was awhile ago,

This child accused this guy of molestation, he got away with it like they usually do,
then the 3 women from the childs family went to his house and raped him with a cucumber,

the system came down on those three women with a vengeance, forcing them to go to classes with real sexual offenders, they basically treated the real molester as a sad pitiful victim.

literal visionary

I seriously think repeat offenders should be able to get the death penalty,

that would make them think first before they violated another persons rights,
there is really nothing to stop them because they get away with it

literal visionary

I think one of the Carolinas is proposing just that. Yay!

I think if they brought laws like that out, that alot of unthoughtout random rapes would stop, you know when someone gets a hair up their butt and just decides to rape someone?

like hmm im slightly drunk and you went outside with me so im going to rape you...

literal visionary

There was a story in the news a little while ago that this child molester was molesting this kid in florida for 4 years stright and the judge gave him 60 days in jail because he "Said" wanted the molester to get counseling as soon as possible....

Makes me think how many sex offenders constitute judges and policeman and lawmaker posisitions,
you know?

its not a mental problem its a crime.....

evearael

...a crime comprised mostly of repeat offenders...

I must come to the defense of the police for just a moment. When I finally came forward, the police were very kind and professional. It was the commonwealth attorney who chose not to pursue it, unless I could convince the second victim to come forward.

literal visionary

I must come to the defense of the police for just a moment. When I finally came forward, the police were very kind and professional. It was the commonwealth attorney who chose not to pursue it, unless I could convince the second victim to come forward.

yeah i agree with you, its probably not most policeman,

i think Im leaning more towards people in a state of power like lawmakers and judges,

they usually think they can get away with it, thats probably why they are letting molesting white guys get away with it, because they relate to them and not the victims...

literal visionary

Honestly, I dont think being raped would bother me that much,

what would get me was that someone would have the audacity to disrespect me in such a vile and evil way,

thats probably why i would shoot anybody that did that to me,
its the principle of the thing,

but thats just me....