• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Forms, Shapes

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
what do you mean ? like the absence of shadow? or the absence of light? You won't be able to see it but it can still exist. Like holding an object and walking into a closet and turning the light off. no light, = no available contrast. Object still exists

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
Or are you talking art wise? I would say yes. it can you don't need to display a light source perse. you can draw what the light and the absence of light create without filling in the value of darkness they make. No tones required yet source of light can still be determined.

12043004_10153257439406553_8054537173982083081_n.jpg

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
You can paint in texture with one color to create an image without contrast, look into Rothko paintings, as awful as I think they are personally he uses in some of his work little to no contrast, yet objects within can still be found. What determines you being able to see is the source of light on the painting which alters your perception of what you can see within the strokes of the brush on the canvas.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
what do you mean ? like the absence of shadow? or the absence of light? You won't be able to see it but it can still exist. Like holding an object and walking into a closet and turning the light off. no light, = no available contrast. Object still exists
yes, but i'm talking more about overall physical contrast and not visual alone. in other words if there is no contrast in texture, density, color would there be any differentiation?

case in point, you have a ball of red clay. it appears as one thing but then you divide the ball of clay in to two balls. the contrast would be the space between the two, although they came from the same ball. in appearance they seem separate but actually they came from the same source. you could in fact shape them differently but obviously they are the same ball of clay simply formed in different shapes. their contrast would be twofold at this point, one would be the space between and the second would be their structural differences.

space is not actually empty but more like invisible. it actually has some physical phenomena to it. it is simply different from the other physical phenomena that surrounds it and vice versa. the differences is in physical structure; which lends contrast from one medium to the other.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
You can paint in texture with one color to create an image without contrast, look into Rothko paintings, as awful as I think they are personally he uses in some of his work little to no contrast, yet objects within can still be found. What determines you being able to see is the source of light on the painting which alters your perception of what you can see within the strokes of the brush on the canvas.

so here you're using the idea of contrast with color; which comes from the same source; being light in this case.

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
You are not defining what contrast is in your question. can images exist without contrast. Contrast of what. color or light? objects in reality may exist without contrast, simply being unable to see something doesn't mean it does not exist. When you can experience it with other senses.

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
So what you are asking? Is can you produce an image without contrast, texture, or light. No. with the new parameters.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
well.....kinda hard to say....I AM!
with nothing to show for it

and then difficult to deal with the extreme solitude

so....it's give and take
light and shadow
hot and cold

and you can say ....no
to anyone you want to

then change your mind and say ....yes

chaos?.....as long as reality holds

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
An image may exist but cannot be detected without the light to reveal it. is that the answer you want?

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
Contrast is a principle of art. When defining it, art experts refer to the arrangement of opposite elements (light vs. dark colors, rough vs. smooth textures, large vs. small shapes, etc.) in a piece so as to create visual interest, excitement, and drama

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
An image may exist but cannot be detected without the light to reveal it. is that the answer you want?
i'm not necessarily looking for a specific answer but you have helped me to understand that contrast is more than just visual. obviously it would have to be sensory in all areas to be undifferentiated.

thank you for sharing

Thief

Rogue Theologian
no. Chaos is the contrast.
I cannot agree

follow this....
with pencil, dot a paper in three random locations
draw in the triangle
label each corner.....1,2.....3,4.....5,6

mark one more point inside the triangle at random

roll one cube of dice

measure from the first internal point toward the corner chosen by the roll
mark a point halfway there

repeat until you can't stand it any more

but if you can do so at great length you will see an emerging pattern
triangles
many different sizes
many overlaid over many others

but ALL have the same proportions as the original

chaos has been granted status as a science

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Or are you talking art wise? I would say yes. it can you don't need to display a light source perse. you can draw what the light and the absence of light create without filling in the value of darkness they make. No tones required yet source of light can still be determined.

View attachment 23766
The lines of the sketch contrast with the paper. The image wouldn't be visible without this contrast.

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
I cannot agree

follow this....
with pencil, dot a paper in three random locations
draw in the triangle
label each corner.....1,2.....3,4.....5,6

mark one more point inside the triangle at random

roll one cube of dice

measure from the first internal point toward the corner chosen by the roll
mark a point halfway there

repeat until you can't stand it any more

but if you can do so at great length you will see an emerging pattern
triangles
many different sizes
many overlaid over many others

but ALL have the same proportions as the original

chaos has been granted status as a science
that would not be chaos, since you are rolling rondom numbers within a governed system.

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
The lines of the sketch contrast with the paper. The image wouldn't be visible without this contrast.
I realized that but in the OP the original statement contrast is not clearly defined I could do that same drawing on black paper. since graphite and black are similar, without a definition of what he is asking that particular drawing would work.